Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Abrupt reverse?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2017, 06:51 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Abrupt reverse?

I viewed a Velocity RC video review of this truck which mentioned a not very scale looking abrupt reverse. Said another way, when maneuvering through rocks, putting the truck into reverse was jerky and abrupt - there was no realistic modulation - it was thrown into reverse at too high of a speed. They claimed it was not operator error, but a result that could not be avoided because of the way the electronics were programmed.

So...my questions. Is the above an accurate assessment? If so, are there any known settings, adjustments, work-arounds to smooth out the transition from forward to reverse, short of getting different electronics?

Are there other RTR scale crawlers that modulate the forward/reverse functions smoother/better? If so, which ones and how much better?

Last edited by gfmucci; 07-06-2017 at 06:53 PM.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2017, 06:58 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Abrupt reverse?

Since you believe everything you see online i have a lovely crawler paradice ill sell you in fla.! Id take it as the operator as im able to make it look scale
solo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:51 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Solo...don't be so ignorantly presumptive about characterizing a person's ability to be discerning. No, Solo, I do not believe everything I see online. That is why I asked the question: "Is the above an accurate assessment?" Is that question too obscure for you?

The video is from a respected online source with experienced operators. Here is the link to the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CROqAf6lyI Granted, Velocity magazine is a bit on the edgy/flippant side...in fact I don't read it anymore, except when I found this video review of the TRX4. They may have an agenda. Again, that is why I asked the question as opposed to "believing everything I read on the internet." In fact, I'm not even sure I believe you "on the internet" since your regurgitation of what I wrote was so far off the mark.

Your answer (if I interpret your awkwardly worded last sentence correctly) would have been more civilized and appreciated if you simply said "good operators can make shifting to reverse look smooth and scale" insteading of inappropriately mocking the questioner.

Last edited by gfmucci; 07-06-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:08 PM   #4

looked to me like 2nd gear, heavy finger and backing downhill....
he had nothing but praise except for that 1 remark.
mine looks scale and has a very gentle rev in low .
pages of posts here by new owner's with not a single complaint on rev !!
Kartooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:18 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartooo View Post
looked to me like 2nd gear, heavy finger and backing downhill....
he had nothing but praise except for that 1 remark.
mine looks scale and has a very gentle rev in low .
pages of posts here by new owner's with not a single complaint on rev !!
Now THAT is a helpful answer. Thank you. I'm thinking VELOCITY magazine was exercising its flippancy with a ham-handed operator who knows better.

Yes, I have seen a bunch of videos of the TRX4 with most of them showing smooth operation and praising its smoothness. The only downside mentioned by most is the steering servo. But even that may not be an issue for the average user.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:41 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

It is adjustable, I used the Traxxas link to turn reverse down to 75% (its actually the brake setting). I think you can program it manually too, its just much easier with the Traxxas link.

I dont think its too fast or abrupt, I turned it down just to get a tiny bit more finesse.

I just watched the video and they mention numerous times that the driver has never crawled before and they looked to be driving in 2nd the majority of the time which makes reverse too fast.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 07-06-2017 at 09:00 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:52 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

The reverse and forward actions on my TRX-4 on 2S seem similarly as smooth as those of my SCX-10ii on stock electronics. However, as to be expected, things are a little more touchy when on 3S. Not enough to make it frustrating - it just looks a little less scale and causes me to slightly overshoot my marks. There was one point on day 1 of running it when I mistakenly left it in 2nd gear during an attempt to low-speed crawl and quickly discovered how that made it more abrupt. Lesson learned.
colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:31 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Default Abrupt reverse?

At 2:52 ..."Traxxas came up with this awesome portal axle thing" lmao

Good to know Traxxas invented portal axles.
CR4NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:31 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Default Abrupt reverse?

The forward-reverse "issue" is a complete non-issue. The stock setup is very smooth, even on 3S. The real issue was the video - the driver was extremely jerky with inputs, and there are multiple errors in the narrator's description of the truck and its features. If you're looking for credible and balanced review videos, I'd recommend the ones posted by Holmes Hobbies or Harley Designs. I've posted a few videos with TRX-4s in action on my YouTube channel, and you can see how much smoother the drivetrain can be even without going out of the way to drive as smoothly as possible.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:58 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I had this trouble in the Trail Mode the truck comes in, not because of the electronics but because of the double tap reverse and doing it too quickly.

When I switched to crawl mode I had a steep learning curve (its instant!) But after only a few hours of driving you learn to be smooth on the trigger and that's really all it is. But you can creep backwards hanging off a rock just fine if you are easy on the trigger input and after a while you can really get good at it. a nice slow maneuver on a rock can be done no problem

I found a trick too, because I don't like jerky stops that are abusive to the driveline (i'm abusive enough when I drive all on my own lol). But the trick is when using cruise control with crawl mode instead of hitting reverse and having your truck throw the E-brake on instantly.. I just dial back the multi-function knob quickly and then tap reverse to disengage cruise. Works every time, its smooth going. Then just center the multi-function knob and resume your drive.

Last edited by Mountainsofbeer; 07-06-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Mountainsofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:01 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainsofbeer View Post
I had this trouble in the Trail Mode the truck comes in, not because of the electronics but because of the double tap reverse and doing it too quickly.

Forgot about that, lol. That helps a lot. Not quite sure why Traxxas ships a crawler not pre-programmed to crawler mode, but it's an easy enough change.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:59 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Because it's a Trail Crawler?

I have mine in the stock setting. I don't know what it is but I like it. Makes for more scale crawling when there is a slight delay on the reverse.

The only thing I would change on the TRX is the huge wheel openings. I would like to run smaller tires and make use of the extra axle clearance the portals offers but it looks daft with the monstrous flares.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:10 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

not to mention that millions of traxxas owners are used to the double-tap reverse, as it's their default programming. why change something on one vehicle to listen to a bunch of people cry about it? the kinda people that care about the setting are smart enough to read a manual.
ubernewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:48 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainsofbeer View Post

When I switched to crawl mode I had a steep learning curve (its instant!) But after only a few hours of driving you learn to be smooth on the trigger and that's really all it is. But you can creep backwards hanging off a rock just fine if you are easy on the trigger input and after a while you can really get good at it. a nice slow maneuver on a rock can be done no problem

I found a trick too, because I don't like jerky stops that are abusive to the driveline (i'm abusive enough when I drive all on my own lol). But the trick is when using cruise control with crawl mode instead of hitting reverse and having your truck throw the E-brake on instantly.. I just dial back the multi-function knob quickly and then tap reverse to disengage cruise. Works every time, its smooth going. Then just center the multi-function knob and resume your drive.
Thanks for your thoughtful and helpful reply.

So my conclusion on all this is that operated properly, the TRX out of the box can reverse as smoothly as any other similarly priced crawler on the market. By "properly" is meant preferably in low gear, preferably with a 2S, and with a light, practiced hand. The video showed a goof-off running the truck who did none of these (except the battery?).

And using your "cruise control" technique is frosting on the cake.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Forgot about that, lol. That helps a lot. Not quite sure why Traxxas ships a crawler not pre-programmed to crawler mode, but it's an easy enough change.
It makes perfect sense. The average Traxxas owner is not a crawler. Just browse the Facebook group and you'll see people going for big air in their TRX-4.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:45 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
It makes perfect sense. The average Traxxas owner is not a crawler. Just browse the Facebook group and you'll see people going for big air in their TRX-4.
Thank you, as you have now made me slightly stupider from reading those groups to see what you were talking about. Some idiot chopped the roof and another slammed the truck on drift tires. Where is the face palm emoticon?
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Thank you, as you have now made me slightly stupider from reading those groups to see what you were talking about. Some idiot chopped the roof and another slammed the truck on drift tires. Where is the face palm emoticon?

It makes sense though. A lot of people buying Traxxas are younger kids. When you're young you just want to go as fast as possible.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:24 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I commented on the video pointing out that he should try first gear, but his response was simply "its too abrubt" so I think its safe to say that its all down to reverse being instant and not double tap as ubernewb mentioned. So yes its a super useless review, alright now this horse is dead so I'll stop prodding it.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote

Abrupt reverse? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Help: ROC 412 Sensored=Reverse Only, Sensorless=Forwards/Reverse jeepnvinny Electronics 5 03-01-2014 08:21 PM
novak eiger pro green led flashing in reverse No Reverse sometimes burmis Electronics 2 05-22-2013 09:04 PM
no reverse? bradabolics Electronics 1 03-19-2010 10:10 PM
Abrupt starts. ESC or Motor or Radio ? Locked Up Electronics 6 12-16-2008 02:34 PM