Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Is the TRX-4 really 'better' than the Axial gear?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2017, 07:22 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Is the TRX-4 really 'better' than the Axial gear?

I'm quite interested in the TRX-4 but have a 3S 21T Titan/HW 1080 equipped SCX10.1 and Bomber. The Bomber has a 2 speed and I have a SSD 2 speed coming atm for the SCX10. The SCX10 has 2.2 Swampers so crawls a lot better than before and now with MIPs and good waterproof servos should be pretty reliable (gearbox already has all steel gears as will the SSD).

I was wondering if the Traxxas really crawls 'better' than the Axials with the portals? This seems to be a biggie with the SCX10 where with 1.9's it was a poor crawler in particular but I wonder if running 2.2's kind of mitigates this now as they have brought it closes to the Bomber in ability and sometimes it even does better now (traction related only).

My biggest complaint about the Axials is how tip happy they are. They roll all the time when you turn even moderately at 'speed' (they constantly roll over at say from 10km/h if you don't do a hugely large turn - best to slow and turn TBBH).

What's your TRX-4 like in comparison to the RR10 and SCX10?

It looks like a great truck but if the Axial's do decently well in comparison (especially considering they already have the same motor and a 2 speed), I might just use the money for some more bling like a winch and some nice links etc! lol
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2017, 07:57 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Is the TRX-4 really 'better' than the Axial gear?

There are pros and cons to each. 3 friends have run 4 scx10s box stock the oldest is e years old no problems. The steering servo in the TRX4 is under powered and hasa centering problem that burns it out. You are on your own to get a capable servo for it. Traxxas doesnt care and are useless.

The body and accessories are beautiful but the weight is poorly distributed making it incapable of climbing anything steep or any significant side hilling. Its tippy driving fast too. You will need a much lighter shorter body to do any decent climbing or side hilling. It is a trail truck not a crawler.

The portal axles do provide awesome ground clearance on it is excellent at getting over obstacles. Tires are good. Keep an ear open for the gear and diff servos buzzing. When you move them move the truck and the buzzing should stop. If you dont be mindful of those servos they will probably burn out.

The steeri g servo in my truck burned out in a day. Traxxas will replace it with the same i adequate piece of garbage. Im not happy about and have mixed feelings on this truck. I broke my rule never buy the first generation of anything.

In the end Ill likely enjoy this truck but For reliability at the moment I feel I should have got an Axial.
davemud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:23 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I love it myself. It's a much different experience than an Axial. The portals make clearing stuff fairly easy, the locking and unlocking diffs are cool to play with just to see how much it can do with open diffs. It's got imo much nicer stock links than any Axial. Shocks are much better as well with actual dampening and no leaks so far. The tires work very well for being a RTR tire. Everyone says the stock servo is very under powered but for a stock servo I think it's not bad the only issue is if you keep it locked up for a decent amount of time it will burn out. I did switch out my servo for a Futaba S9177SV servo though. As far as the body I ditched it right away it weighs almost 2 pounds and I don't like defenders to start with. I think it's a great truck to have along with your axials.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:26 PM   #4
KMS
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemud View Post
There are pros and cons to each. 3 friends have run 4 scx10s box stock the oldest is e years old no problems. The steering servo in the TRX4 is under powered and hasa centering problem that burns it out. You are on your own to get a capable servo for it. Traxxas doesnt care and are useless.

The body and accessories are beautiful but the weight is poorly distributed making it incapable of climbing anything steep or any significant side hilling. Its tippy driving fast too. You will need a much lighter shorter body to do any decent climbing or side hilling. It is a trail truck not a crawler.

The portal axles do provide awesome ground clearance on it is excellent at getting over obstacles. Tires are good. Keep an ear open for the gear and diff servos buzzing. When you move them move the truck and the buzzing should stop. If you dont be mindful of those servos they will probably burn out.

The steeri g servo in my truck burned out in a day. Traxxas will replace it with the same i adequate piece of garbage. Im not happy about and have mixed feelings on this truck. I broke my rule never buy the first generation of anything.

In the end Ill likely enjoy this truck but For reliability at the moment I feel I should have got an Axial.
All the problems you have mentioned ,,,, I have had the same problems with a box stock axial,,, I own both and never considered Traxxas but anything but a basher until now ,,Wait a minute the rest of there stuff are bashers , Axial has just as bad customer service as Traxxas ..
I do like my TRX-4 and upgraded the steering servo before running it ,Did the same thing with axial ,, Havent broke a chub or knuckle on my traxxas , got lots of broken Axial parts and spent lots money upgrading... I like both rigs .. One just a bit more my GI JOE Jeep,,, LOL
KMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:39 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Cheers guys! My Bomber has been amazingly reliable; not a single part has failed. The SCX10.1 has taken a bit of work but my son loves it. I think with some minor tweaks it'll be great. It's easy to pull apart when it gets wet so that is one bonus.

I love the look of the Traxxas but I guess that tall heavy body compromises things a tad.

The 2 speed is more important for me personally than the diff locks though they are extremely cool additions.

Lots to think about! A quality winch for the SCX10 and a sensored setup for my Rock Rey might be a better idea TBH. I know I'll cave at some point so a red TRX-4 will arrive eventually but maybe I keep on with the Axials for a bit longer. Overall I am extremely happy with them. They taken serious abuse and have been a lot of fun.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Axial RTR and reliability in the same sentence. That's funny right there. How many Axial RTRs have you owned?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:12 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Axial RTR and reliability in the same sentence. That's funny right there. How many Axial RTRs have you owned?
I bought my son a Dingo, and it made my Venom Creeper look reliable
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:03 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Just my $.02. I have two 1st gen SCX10s (a deadbolt and a CRC edition wrangler). Both have a lot of miles on them and they still run great. The SCX10 II just didn't have enough new improvements to get me to pull the trigger on it.

Enter the TRX4. I've had mine now since the end of May and so far it has also been a great vehicle. IMHO, out of the box the TRX4 is a much more refined piece of kit without any inherent design flaws. Higher quality plastics, metal links and ball ends, beefier parts all around plus all the innovative features that everyone is raving about.

For the money, I think the TRX4 is a better buy just because of what you're getting, the quality of the materials and the level of refinement. Out on the trail and crawling around on rock/dirt piles they all still hang together pretty well on most obstacles.
NickelPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:39 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

IMO once you add some steel aftermarket wheels or lower the CG down lower and forward by some other means it will help balance out the heavy body.

But the lexan on the TRX-4 body is great, I have rolled this truck many, many times and absolutely nothing has cracked or broken on it yet. I've put over 8 or 9 full 3s packs through it on the trail and nothing has broken. My stock steering servo still works like the day I bought it. It didn't get any better But it still works.

For actual trail driving even over a trail that is all small to medium sized rocks its adequate and usually working fine. It does bind up in situation where maybe your nose down on a rock with the rear of the truck up on another rock and you had to crawl with your tires facing left to get onto the rock in front of you. But you need to turn right to get up the other rock, when you go to turn right it will only turn a 1/4 past center when maybe you wanted it to go 1/2 way to full lock to the right. This is stressful for a full size truck too in my opinion. Also the portal axles may not be common in 1:1 but they definitely work here and give you good ground clearance.. I mean this has been covered over and over.

I can only compare to the quality of my Axial Yeti TT. Body.. Traxxas wins.. reliability.. Traxxas wins.. breaking body posts.. almost every time on my Yeti but even after heavy rollovers in the Traxxas nothing even feels like it bent too far. Keeping dirt out of the chassis where the electronics are.. Traxxas wins big time. Its the real deal and even a budding crawler like me can tell

That doesn't mean I'm giving up on my Yeti in fact I just ordered some parts for it yesterday, and once I upgrade the parts that keep breaking I plan on still getting an SCX10-ii. It's the obvious choice for me after the TRX-4, I like it better than the Trailfinder and I can't see myself getting another british truck right away ie the Gelande RC4WD etc. Not to mention it still has more aftermarket support and is lighter and can do things that the TRX-4 struggles with Ive seen it in the comparison videos.

This is what I mean.. the SCX10 just destroys the modded TRX-4s in this test. edit* ok destroys is not what I meant. but it shows the difference a heavy body versus lightweight body makes and center of gravity etc.

Last edited by Mountainsofbeer; 07-10-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Mountainsofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

To get a really good comparison of the two, you almost need to do the comparison without the bodies. Chassis for chassis, the Traxxas TRX4 is right there with the SCX10 II. RTR chassis for RTR chassis, the Traxxas takes it, in my opinion. There are just too many features on the Traxxas RTR that outweigh the SCX10 II RTR. Again, my opinion. As someone previously stated, the materials on the Traxxas are very nice, quality plastics, metal links, CMS steering, 2 speed tranny, lockable diffs, etc. The SCX10 II is no slouch and the materials are all quality, as well. But the links on an SCX10 II RTR, although metal, leave a little to be desired. There is no 2 speed tranny, although it does have CMS steering. Yes, the Traxxas body is heavy. So is the Axial Jeep Cherokee when it has the roof rack, etc. Not as heavy as the Traxxas, but still heavy.

Although they are both trail/crawlers, they suit different needs for different drivers. If you want a little more scale looks and are ok giving up a little bit of sidehill and steep incline performance, then go Traxxas. If you want to give up some of the scale looks and accessories (not much, but some compared to Traxxas) in exchange for better sidehill and incline performance, go with Axial.

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong. Bodies can be changed out, so the Traxxas can be made to be a much more performance oriented rig. Likewise, a heavier body with a bunch of scale accessories can be added to an Axial that ultimately might take away from the overall performance due to added weight up top.

For a beginner, I'd go Axial. It's simply a less complicated arrangement. For someone who has a little more knowledge and skill in the hobby, the Traxxas is certainly a unique offering in the class.
ebbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:22 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I think with some simple mods and a few dollars the traxxas could beat the scx on side hills and going up and down while retaining the stock body. Cant prove it for sure but i know mine is much more capable than when i got it
solo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:46 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

both of you should check out the vid I posted above *not my video just an RC channel on YT I subscribe to.
Mountainsofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:56 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainsofbeer View Post
both of you should check out the vid I posted above *not my video just an RC channel on YT I subscribe to.
I did watch notice i said with the large and heavy body
solo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:22 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

All I can say is that My Axial RTR experience taught me alot of what I know about repairing RCs, so far the TRX-4 has taught me nothing, worthless (sarcasm).

Thought the steering servo wouldn't have lasted long had I not upgraded it.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:34 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

a lot of people like to compare a box-stock trx4 to the scx10ii that they'd had for a long time and dumped a bunch of $$$ in parts into. stock for stock, the trx4 takes it. if you wanna compare built rig to built rig with equal $ spent, i'd imagine the trx4 would probably stay on top there as well.
ubernewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:33 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I sold my nicely built scxii after I read about the trx-4. I knew traxxas was going to bring a well refined, tough truck to the market and they didnt disappoint. I personally don't care about the servo issues or any of that stuff since I swapped mine before I ran the thing. This rig is just designed better with more weight further forward and the motor is mounted low in the chassis. The 2spd is something I'm personally not interested in but it works well. Cable lockers are neat but I'll be locking out the front one.
Overall It just feels like your getting far more for your money with the trx-4 over the scxii IMO
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:15 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Ok...I picked up a TRX-4...lol I've definitely got the crawler bug! ha!

Firstly, really nicely presented truck. Body is very substantial and yeah pretty heavy but nicely made. Love the inner guards for the wheel wells. Plastics look like they are high quality and everything fits nicely.

Locking and unlocking diffs and operating the two speed is very easy. No buzzing though like my Bomber I do it whilst gently rolling. They are a tad 'clunky' when changing (gearbox and diffs) and the micro servos are horribly tiny. I put a 208oz full size Savox in my Bomber to change gears. It would be so easy to burn out the little tackers trying to change when stationary if the splines didn't align (which they often don't). Hopefully someone comes out with brackets to install full sized servos for long term peace of mind.

Truck has good low speed control and a decent top speed. My Bomber is geared stock 12/64 and is a little faster than the Traxxas with a well loved Titan 21T 550 motor (maybe 5km/h faster). The Bomber max speed in low gear with the stock Axial low ratio is a tad higher though I'm going to grab the SSD low ratio which is a bit lower and it then probably will be fairly similar if you take into account the overall higher gearing of the Bomber. Their slow crawl ability is basically the same which is quite slow.

Now, onto crawling. The Bomber makes a fair mockery of the TRX-4 pretty much anywhere. Where you're futzing around with the Traxxas so it doesn't topple or you can get traction, the Bomber just cruises past without blinking an eyelid. The Traxxas badly needs a winch as whilst you frequently get a back wheel up and think cool, I can make this, the body then starts tipping sideways or backwards or both and you have no hope of making the obstacle. The front and rear approach angles are also terrible and once you get a wheel up you end up with the same issue I just noted. My SCX10.1 with the long wheelbase Jeep Wrangler body was easier to get up the same obstacles with 1.9 tyres (trickier with the low belly but it didn't want to roll like the Traxxas once you got a rear wheel up). With 2.2's it's closer to the Bomber's league and doesn't have fancy links or any aluminium, beef tubes, patties or other fancy stuff. A couple of homemade aluminium rod lower rear links to stop the bunny hop, a couple of bolts to add a touch of weight to the front and super high gearing for an SCX10 (26/80 - it's getting a SSD 2 speed as soon as it turns up). It has the HW 1080 and 550 Titan on 3S so that is comparable.

I really feel the Traxxas needs a different body to be a good crawler. It's a beautiful thing stock and a great trail truck like stated above, but a very poor crawler 'as is'.

The ESC gets noticeably hotter too than the HW 1080. Some basic slowish crawling got the ESC about 17 degrees over ambient. The Bomber with the higher gearing got the ESC about 2 degrees over ambient. The Bomber ESC basically just runs cool to cold all the time...I'm a bit worried about the stock ESC and how hot it will get when worked hard...motor stayed a decent temp which was good.

I wonder if I can install a HW 1080? Lots of cool functions but I'm not sure I'll use anything like trail mode or kids mode (which I admit is a great idea).

Do I like the Traxxas?

I certainly do!

It's lovely and will be a cool scale truck for the time being that will force me to choose lines carefully (or even totally abandon lines altogether) completely unlike how I drive the Bomber or even SCX10.1 which will be a challenge and at times pretty annoying but also make the experience for good or bad, more scale. I'm going to get a cool winch and start using it.

I do plan to get a Proline body of a cool pickup which I'm going to paint spearmint with a white roof which will have crazy good approach angles (more akin to the Bomber) and I'll then have a killer 1.9 crawler which will likely be far closer to the Bomber.

Anyway, I'm very impressed with the tech in the rig, and am happy with the purchase; my son is in love with the thing!

I do have to say that a RTR Bomber with 2 speed and a HW 1080 and 550 21T Titan is a killer rig with unbelievably good reliability. Add a $5 alloy servo horn and a couple of waterproof Savox's and you have a fantastic go anywhere crawler/bouncer that just lasts and lasts. It's 'around' the pricepoint of the Traxxas. A Bomber kit would be even better with the above. It's also a very scale truck as it's based on the real Bomber. A very different crawling experience but still scale IMO.

I think all the trucks including the SCX10.1 are great. The SCX10 naturally needs work to be reliable but it's also VERY reliable once you get the driveshafts sorted (MIP or WB HD) and gearbox (steel gears) and rear links replaced. I would NOT recommend the SCX10 over the Traxxas any day of the week though as it needs a 2 speed and better motor and ESC and MIPs and steel gears etc but once you've done it, it's fine.

They are all different but all really good ultimately. Great time to be into crawling IMO.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I have a wraith and a Barrage with SCX10 axles. The Wraith is a beast. I've burned out a brushed motor each season. Twice mud bogging one on a 3 hour hill climb at the end. It did have enough in it to do the downhill back to the car.

Broke the rear axle housing at the end of the axle brace where the two holes go through it for the bolt on link mounts. Thats a dumb design but it did take a lot of abuse and this happened running a smaller body with the wheels exposed. Usually I run a 1/6 Tacoma or mustang hard body on it.

I don't think I forgot to mention I run with 3 different box stock SCX10 and 1 SCX102 that run the same terrain I do without burning out servos in up to 3 years of use. The SCX102 is 6 months old.

These Axials all always finish the runs while the TRX4 gets carried back. Once with a burned out servo after 3 hours and once with a stripped servo after almost 2 hours.

The TRX4 is a first generation truck and there are plenty of problems documented. It hasn't been widely available for a month yet. What will it look like by Christmas?

The TRX4 is a lot of flash and a lot of complicated componentry surely based on the Summit componentry that is legendary for endless major problems. Traxxas should have made sure the spent enough on the major components required to drive the truck before wasting so much money on scale accessories flash.

Axial knows don't have anything to worry about. They know when the TRX4 honeymoon is over and the dust settles more of their trucks will finish the runs than the TRX4s.

I'm over being pissed off about the servo and letting it ruin my experience with my TRX4 but I will never buy another Traxxas branded product for it or anything else.

I had a few failures with my Barrage. Horizon asked for pics of the parts and receipt and sent out replacements no fuss. Traxxas will replace the servo but the hoops to jump through in comparison make it a long drawn out process at my expense. So Phuk Traxxas.
davemud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #19

Quote:
I have a wraith and a Barrage with SCX10 axles. The Wraith is a beast. I've burned out a brushed motor each season. Twice mud bogging one on a 3 hour hill climb at the end. It did have enough in it to do the downhill back to the car.

Broke the rear axle housing at the end of the axle brace where the two holes go through it for the bolt on link mounts. Thats a dumb design but it did take a lot of abuse and this happened running a smaller body with the wheels exposed. Usually I run a 1/6 Tacoma or mustang hard body on it.

I don't think I forgot to mention I run with 3 different box stock SCX10 and 1 SCX102 that run the same terrain I do without burning out servos in up to 3 years of use. The SCX102 is 6 months old.

These Axials all always finish the runs while the TRX4 gets carried back. Once with a burned out servo after 3 hours and once with a stripped servo after almost 2 hours.

The TRX4 is a first generation truck and there are plenty of problems documented. It hasn't been widely available for a month yet. What will it look like by Christmas?

The TRX4 is a lot of flash and a lot of complicated componentry surely based on the Summit componentry that is legendary for endless major problems. Traxxas should have made sure the spent enough on the major components required to drive the truck before wasting so much money on scale accessories flash.

Axial knows don't have anything to worry about. They know when the TRX4 honeymoon is over and the dust settles more of their trucks will finish the runs than the TRX4s.

I'm over being pissed off about the servo and letting it ruin my experience with my TRX4 but I will never buy another Traxxas branded product for it or anything else.

I had a few failures with my Barrage. Horizon asked for pics of the parts and receipt and sent out replacements no fuss. Traxxas will replace the servo but the hoops to jump through in comparison make it a long drawn out process at my expense. So Phuk Traxxas.
Are your Axials kits or RTRs?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:14 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Only TRX-4 thing that is problematic is a weak steering servo imo and ime. Stock ESC could burn up someday, just like Axial n whatever other RTR can and sometimes does.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Is the TRX-4 really 'better' than the Axial gear? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 plus Axial FC Body. AggressorBLUE Traxxas TRX-4 5 05-17-2017 08:45 AM
TRX 2075 digital waterproof vs. HiTec HS-5645MG High-Torque 2BB Metal Gear Servo cornel4web Electronics 1 10-21-2010 01:28 AM