Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Ebbet's TRX4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2017, 09:03 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Ebbet's TRX4

After selling off a TF2, I had the funds to pick up a new TRX4. I'd been stalking this board to see what everyone's thoughts were on it. Seemed like a lot of positive feedback regarding this rig. So I went ahead and pulled the trigger!

I immediately pulled the wheels/tires off and replaced them with Method 105's and Pitbull Growlers. I also, based on what I read on this board, changed the motor location from the C hole to D hole. Took it out for a test run but did not get any pics.

After getting it home, I set out to make this my own with a little detail. Had some stickers left over from an RC4WD Gelande build that I was able to put to good use. Added some euro plates I had and mocked up a winch line and hook for looks.

Looking forward to continuing to accessorize this rig. I like this as a G6 rig or overland rig.

Will update as I get trail pics and further modifications.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
ebbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2017, 12:26 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Ebbet's TRX4

I love the VP Method 105's! My favorite wheel, by far. The tires are good, too, although I think I'd rather have the Rock Beast XL's as they are about the same size as the Growlers. But I had these already so this is what I used. I originally had 475 hubs on them and they made the stance too wide and caused a little bit of tire rub. I replaced them with 225 hubs but have not had a chance to run them. I think the narrower stance should keep the rub to a minimum, if it rubs at all.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:02 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Looks great, tires and rims really set it off nicely! Love the looks of the 1.9 Growlers, but seems like Rockbeasts might be better? Got a pic from above to see how far the wheels stick out with 225 hubs?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:59 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Natedog, I'll try to get a good photo of it tonight. In fact, I'll get a photo of the 225 hub, switch out to the 475 hub and take a photo of that for comparison, in case anyone is interested.

I love Rock Beasts, so I am biased. But I'm curious, why do you think the Rock Beasts would look better? I'd use the XL's not the original size. But again, the RB XL's and Growlers are very similar OD, if not exact.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:53 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Cool, thanks.

You've got the Growlers that look great, just not sure about the tight tread pattern in loose dirt, and yes XLs. Growler and RockBeast XL almost exact same size. According to specs I read both are 4.75" tall, Growler 1.75" wide vs RockBeast 1.7" wide as per RPP.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

So these are photos of the 225 hubs, how far they stick out from the feeders and clearance around the portal. I'll post separately for the 475 hubs.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

And here are the 475 hubs for comparison. Can't tell a huge difference at the fenders in the photos, but you can really tell the difference in the clearance at the portal. The fenders are much more noticeable in person.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:27 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the updates and pics, 225s look very close to stock, I wouldn't want it any wider. Maybe some 185s, would they clear the links and portals with those wheels?
Old 07-10-2017, 05:45 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Congratulations ebbet on your new truck. Nice looking and Thank you for these High definitions pictures, really enjoyed.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:51 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Natedog, I think 185's would clear. I thought I had read somewhere that they would.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

185's work with lockeduprc slw wheels but just miss the top 2 allens in the portals 350's give 9 3/4" wide outside of tire to outside of tire 185's would be 1/4" less aprox
solo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:01 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
Congratulations ebbet on your new truck. Nice looking and Thank you for these High definitions pictures, really enjoyed.
Thanks, Teng! So far I'm happy with it. I want to get out more with it, but time is not allowing me at the moment.

Happy with the photos my Galaxy Note 5 takes!
Old 07-11-2017, 10:26 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbet View Post
Natedog, I think 185's would clear. I thought I had read somewhere that they would.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo1 View Post
185's work with lockeduprc slw wheels but just miss the top 2 allens in the portals 350's give 9 3/4" wide outside of tire to outside of tire 185's would be 1/4" less aprox
Thanks for measurements! It's cheap n easy to replace those screws with some buttonheads just for a bit more in clearance, 185s are what I'm using with my HR steel wheels.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
.185 hubs clear with Vanquish wheels easily. You must have read that in the handy wheel fitment thread.

svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:57 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Yes I did, thanks for the reminder.
TRX4 wheel fitment info

Last edited by Natedog; 07-11-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:29 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

So I had the opportunity to get out on the rocks and trail with the TRX4 today. A few observations:

1. The portal and the clearance they offer are outstanding. Several times I took a line that I thought the pumpkin would get hung up...not so. I'm so accustomed to the housings on the SCX10 that I'm just conditioned to expect a hang up.

2. Running on 3s and high gear is stupid fast for a trail truck. Some may disagree. Just seems to me, that from a scale perspective, 3s and high gear is borderline not scale. Not sure what the conversion would be, but seems like it would be in excess of 100 scale mph. Not complaining because in low and 3s the extra wheel speed is nice. Just a stupid observation on my part. Feel free to disagree.

3. I've come to the conclusion that with the stock body you have to change your mental approach to what this rig is. I liken it to when I first drove a TF2 after having driven an SCX10 for so long. I was initially disappointed in the performance of the TF2 until I changed my mental approach and appreciated the TF2 for what it was. The same needs to happen with the TRX4. I need to change my mental approach to know that side hills and steep climbs are more difficult, or in some cases, not doable. So, you take a different approach to your path. Find a path with less incline or sidehill angle. Not bad, just different. I found driving my TF2 (full leafs by the way) with others driving fully customized SCX10's was not as much fun since I couldn't always follow the leader. To a degree, I could see the same with a stock bodied TRX4. But I don't mind at all. The TRX4 is what it is. Same for the TF2 and the SCX10. Each has their own pros and cons. It's all a matter of what YOU want and like. I'm stepping off my soap box now.

Now for some visual stimulation.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:45 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Forgot to mention, I also got some new stuff to better the steering power. This should be a nice improvement. I use this combo in some of my other rigs and have been happy with it.

Also have some new Pitbull Rock Beast XL's and CI Lil' Nova Dual Stage foams coming. Hoping they'll be here tomorrow. Will also replace the Land Rover sticker on the roof rack with either a Thule or Yakima sticker.

I've considered doing something like painting the roof white or black, but still unsure. Anyone done this to theirs? Any photos?

Old 07-12-2017, 08:35 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that with the stock body you have to change your mental approach to what this rig is. I liken it to when I first drove a TF2 after having driven an SCX10 for so long. I was initially disappointed in the performance of the TF2 until I changed my mental approach and appreciated the TF2 for what it was. The same needs to happen with the TRX4. I need to change my mental approach to know that side hills and steep climbs are more difficult, or in some cases, not doable. So, you take a different approach to your path. Find a path with less incline or sidehill angle. Not bad, just different. I found driving my TF2 (full leafs by the way) with others driving fully customized SCX10's was not as much fun since I couldn't always follow the leader. To a degree, I could see the same with a stock bodied TRX4. But I don't mind at all. The TRX4 is what it is. Same for the TF2 and the SCX10. Each has their own pros and cons. It's all a matter of what YOU want and like. I'm stepping off my soap box now.
Exactly...Well said. The tough part is the mental change!
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:07 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Finally got my servo installed and it seemed to work fine. However, the ESC started acting up. In the process of trying to fix it, I burned up the receiver (think I had the voltage set too high). So, had to replace the Traxxas Rx/tx with my Spektrum Rx/tx. Haven't had it out yet, but hope to soon. Simple testing, it seems like it works ok. Removed the rear spare rack. Gonna see how this improves handling. Also painted the rear tail lights and put my Yakima sticker on the roof rack.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:40 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Since when has 1210SG been a HV servo??
Ambis is offline   Reply With Quote

Ebbet's TRX4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX4 Mods chipgibbs Traxxas TRX-4 83 05-01-2019 08:44 PM
Unimog TRX4 Parkflyer Traxxas Crawlers 13 11-06-2018 08:10 AM
Matt's TRX4 marinearmeni Traxxas TRX-4 1 06-21-2017 09:38 PM