Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Bumper Fitment Options Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2017, 09:21 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Bumper Fitment Options Thread

Was hoping to start a thread whereby people showed only there front and rear bumpers. Custom ones or aftermarket ones or even modified stock ones. Thanks to all who take the time to post pictures of your bumper options.
mobgma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Bumper Fitment Options Thread

flipped the rear over an pushed it all the way, then had a scalerfab scx10 stinger winch bumper from a scx10, removed the bumper mount an front bumper an the scx bumper bolted right up to the frame rails
fomoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:55 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I've heard that SCX10 stuff bolts up and is high but clears the body.

For now I decided why flip and rotate when I can just off the parts I don't want hehe. Stole this idea from someone here there are pics in another thread maybe the original TRX-4 thread in here but I can't remember. It actually does help sometimes you end up at weird angles and not having the bumper in front of the tires means you can still move the truck sometimes.

If you do it in this spot it won't look hollow, I used a dull spoon I found under the fridge. Just kidding I used a dremel and thin cutoff wheel. Turns out I didn't need to clean it up its getting scratched smooth on the rocks. Te body is strong and I'm not worried about it cracking but that's starting to scratch up too, I need a metal bumper that's lower profile and maybe with something to push ferns and sticks around with.
sometimes the pic is too big then it gets normal size but sorry if its huge lol.

Last edited by Mountainsofbeer; 07-17-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Mountainsofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:25 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Before I made my own bumpers I modified the stock ones a bit.

For the rear I just pushed it in one hole on the stock mount (any farther and the bumper no longer covers like it should), to do this I had to extend the holes that locate the little body pins that hang down on the back of the truck. Just pick the right holes unlike me!

For the front I just thinned out the bumper as much as I could, I took off maybe 5/16"-3/8" from the back of the bumper, quite a bit really.

To do this there was a lot of Filling, sanding, and cutting with a fine toothed saw (Japanese saw). I removed the faux winch and drilled additional locating holes for the bumper mount which allowed me to push the front bumper inwards a bit more. The square post that is the mount extends into the body of the bumper, you'll have to cut away the bumper to expose more of this post structure, but its there if you look.

I had to remove some material on the bottom of the bumper to keep the tires from rubbing the bottom of the bumper when turning under compression.

This added a bit more approach and a tiny bit of departure angle. After all the material was removed on the front bumper it still remained pretty strong, flexible but strong.

I can post up my custom bumper if people want, I'm just not sure it will be of any use here, let me know.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 07-17-2017 at 07:36 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:38 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Hey MOB, did mounting the tyre on the hood help keep the front wheels planted? It struggles keeping the wheels down during a climb and it seems obvious that moving the weight from the back to the front might make a considerable difference. I might have to shove a wheel on the front and eyeball how it looks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainsofbeer View Post
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:13 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
...For the front I just thinned out the bumper as much as I could, I took off maybe 5/16"-3/8" from the back of the bumper, quite a bit really.

To do this there was a lot of Filling, sanding, and cutting with a fine toothed saw (Japanese saw). I removed the faux winch and drilled additional locating holes for the bumper mount which allowed me to push the front bumper inwards a bit more. The square post that is the mount extends into the body of the bumper, you'll have to cut away the bumper to expose more of this post structure, but its there if you look.

This added a bit more approach and a tiny bit of departure angle. After all the material was removed on the front bumper it still remained pretty strong, flexible but strong.

I can post up my custom bumper if people want, I'm just not sure it will be of any use here, let me know.
Very nice job on your bumper mods, worthy mod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRunning View Post
Hey MOB, did mounting the tyre on the hood help keep the front wheels planted? It struggles keeping the wheels down during a climb and it seems obvious that moving the weight from the back to the front might make a considerable difference.
It should, but some beadlock wheels and Codyboy brass knuckle weights will make a much more noticeable improvement in climbing and side-hilling.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:42 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRunning View Post
Hey MOB, did mounting the tyre on the hood help keep the front wheels planted? It struggles keeping the wheels down during a climb and it seems obvious that moving the weight from the back to the front might make a considerable difference. I might have to shove a wheel on the front and eyeball how it looks!
Yea I think it does help. Weight up there in general helps lower the better. The thing is I did that and the other 4 wheels at the same time AND I removed the rear spare tire. So I can't say what it does alone if using the traxxas trx-4 wheels and keeping the other spare on the back.
But it crawls pretty steady on the gmades and with the spare on the hood. I couldn't mount it closer to the windshield without covering up the bodyposts or getting in the way of the fender brace on the bottom side. But its just as well because the hood has a big hump in it. So I went center of the fender brace instead. I like it with the smaller tire like that.

For side hills I lock the front only and keep it slightly facing uphill and its been working well letting the rear hang down a bit.

I also run a heavy (compared to my 2s) 3s battery and I have a 4xAA battery source taped to the bottom of the windshield for the lightbar. So its weight balance is much more forward and lower now and its been a good drive last few times out.

But back the thread.. bumper mods can really work! I'm always surprised at the odd positions I get my truck in.

Last edited by Mountainsofbeer; 07-18-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:51 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Not my favorite bumper, but it was what I had on hand. The servo winch in the second picture still allows for the stock bumper. Just like using a steel bumper.
I forget the brand of bumper, but it is a SCX10 bumper. Fits great.

robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:42 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

SSD scx10rear bumper. to mount it like this I had to flip the bumper mount and this is with posts all the way in and I just used the thread side of the pins as set screws with locktite to hold the posts since I have it pushed in farther than the holes on the posts.
no body trimming or moving body posts : )

It's kind of like an exaggerated scale stock bumper I saw someone test fit this in another thread and I liked it although it was under the front body I wanted mine as high as possible which is why I flipped mount.. and I don't plan on using a winch.

Last edited by Mountainsofbeer; 07-22-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:56 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I wanted the RC4Wd Gelende defender bumper, but knew it had to be modded to fit. Thought about it for a while and finally picked it up. In order for it to work I also picked up the bumper mounts for the RC4WD Trail Finder 2. Had to redrill the holes in the bumper angle bracket to a width of 43mm in order to slide this bumper into the factory mount......after a lot of eyeballing and pissing around it's finally on. also mounting the RC4WD Warn winch was a pain the behind, had to file the depth of the mounting plate to fit it just right so the bumper bracket mounting screws caught it perfectly. Anyways, glad thats done. looks good and weight, holy smokes this is getting a bit heavy up front...which is good.

RC4WD ARB LAND ROVER DEFENDER 90 WINCH BAR FRONT BUMPER FOR GELANDE 2

UNIVERSAL BUMPER MOUNTS TO FIT TRAIL FINDER 2

Last edited by ScoJac; 08-06-2017 at 06:39 AM.
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:57 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

RC4WD Steel Bumper with 1/8 Zeon Warn Wich

Yeah Racing Alloy Bumper w/ LED's, Hitch & Spare Tire Holder

djmaincheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:35 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoJac View Post
I wanted the RC4Wd Gelende defender bumper, but knew it had to be modded to fit. Thought about it for a while and finally picked it up. In order for it to work I also picked up the bumper mounts for the RC4WD Trail Finder 2.
Little more weight up front is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaincheese View Post
RC4WD Steel Bumper with 1/8 Zeon Warn Wich

Yeah Racing Alloy Bumper w/ LED's, Hitch & Spare Tire Holder
Looks nice with gas cans attached and all!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:50 PM   #13
RCC Addict

This is an Integy bumper I picked up off ebay for $25. It is advertised to fit the SCX10 with 43mm mount. Simple bolt on swap and fits the TRX4 bumper mount without modification. I still need to mount my RC4WD 9.5 Warn winch but that is going to require some fabrication.

Last edited by Inspector86; 09-02-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
This is an Integy bumper I picked up off ebay for $25. It is advertised to fit the SCX10 with 43mm mount. Simple bolt on swap and fits the TRX4 bumper mount without modification. I still need to mount my RC4WD 9.5 Warn winch but that is going to require some fabrication.

Now that one I like a lot...do they make a rear?
92fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:38 PM   #15
RCC Addict

They have several styles of rear bumper in the Gunmetal finish on their web site, some with spare tire mounts some without. I'm not a big fan of Integy due to really substandard customer support but they do have some neat stuff.

Last edited by Inspector86; 08-14-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:44 PM   #16

Quote:
They have several styles of rear bumper in the Gunmetal finish on their web site. I'm not a big fan of Integy due to really substandard customer support but they do have some neat stuff.
Yeah I pulled my head out of my butt and just reached on eBay myself lol...they do have some cool looking ones at a decent price. $20 for a billet bumper? Not bad in my book.
92fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:45 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:

Hey that bumper looks great! Do you have the part number?
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:30 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Integy PN C26375GUN, matching rear bumper is C26374GUN

Last edited by Inspector86; 08-15-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:43 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Switched to a front bumper that is a much better fit for the 1/8 Warn Zeon 10 Winch, direct bolt on and a bit beefier than the previous one. Feel better that the winch is a lot more protected now in the event of a nose dive.
RC4WD Part # Z-S0434

djmaincheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaincheese View Post
Switched to a front bumper that is a much better fit for the 1/8 Warn Zeon 10 Winch, direct bolt on and a bit beefier than the previous one. Feel better that the winch is a lot more protected now in the event of a nose dive.
RC4WD Part # Z-S0434

I like it but I do not like how it leaves part of the body exposed to damage on the corners.
mobgma is offline   Reply With Quote

Bumper Fitment Options Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bumper options for XJ powder4breakfast Axial SCX10 II 45 12-27-2016 12:52 PM
SSD SCX10 Bumper Fitment OurJK Vaterra Ascender 2 07-15-2016 12:19 PM
G6 Bumper options gcm2006 Axial SCX-10 1 01-26-2014 01:56 PM
Gelande winch bumper fitment? George014 Axial SCX-10 1 08-16-2012 08:37 AM
Jeep Body fitment comparison thread??? The Real Dogman Paint and Body 0 05-02-2010 11:16 AM