Notices

Thread: ImthatTraxxas TRX-4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 04:51 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: ImthatTraxxas TRX-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
Okay then, I'll try that, but I don't see how that'll make me change my mind on it.
Well it will allow you to hold a much tighter line that you might not make with the rears locked which at a comp could allow you to skip on a reverse.
solo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2017, 04:56 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Better yet, 4 wheel low and 2 wheel high
too many servos for that you'd be adding another servo.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:59 PM   #23
clm
Quarry Creeper

Not really, just have one position be 2wd high and the other position 4wd low. Not too much unlike the Tamiya Bruiser/Mountaineer.
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:27 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Still better than axial crap.
maxxdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
What CI foams?
I emailed Crawler Innovations and they suggested the Lil Nova CWR-2025 for the rears and CWR-2024 for the front, running the Ottsix Voodoo KLR golds and maybe just slightly lighter than stock. I removed the spare tire and made it into a pickup.
tooltimenova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:38 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What CI foams?
Lil' Nova's 4.75" Standard Inner, Medium Outer - but these aren't stock tires and these suited my needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willygee View Post
Don't own the TRX 4 yet..soon..but i like 1:1 scale operation...street speeds and low range, 2 speed all the way for me.
I built a JK 1/10 rubicon on a HBX 12889 chassis (comes with 2 spd) for trail and street and some crawling(limited because of open differentials)...this Jeep gets run more than my other rigs except for my Vaterra K5 in the winter in snow.
Super. Still not convinced that a 2 speed is necessary. In the other truck that had a 2 speed, I locked it in low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
I would have rather had a 2wd/4wd function than a 2 speed myself.
Yeah, I guess that'd be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
I agree that would be better than the 2 speed

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quote:
Better yet, 4 wheel low and 2 wheel high
Ha, or you could buy a Bruiser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo1 View Post
Well it will allow you to hold a much tighter line that you might not make with the rears locked which at a comp could allow you to skip on a reverse.
Maybe, that'd be worth a try. Thanks for the counterpoint, I'll give that a shot.

Quote:
too many servos for that you'd be adding another servo.
Quote:
Not really, just have one position be 2wd high and the other position 4wd low. Not too much unlike the Tamiya Bruiser/Mountaineer.
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxdrive View Post
Still better than axial crap.
Yeah, um... Sounds well informed. Care to elaborate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltimenova View Post
I emailed Crawler Innovations and they suggested the Lil Nova CWR-2025 for the rears and CWR-2024 for the front, running the Ottsix Voodoo KLR golds and maybe just slightly lighter than stock. I removed the spare tire and made it into a pickup.
I went with CWR-2032 for the Pro-Line Krawler T/A's.

Video of a river run I did. Headquake drove, I filmed. Still not changing my option on stuff. Once we started driving, the axles stayed locked and in low gear. Was I impressed with it? I dunno.

imthatguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:49 AM   #27
clm
Quarry Creeper

From how your description read there, the low mounted motor was an issue ingesting mud. Definitely not going to be a happy mud truck when mud is above the axles... and mud volcanoing up through the motor vents.

Some more sealed motor would be good there... or a truck with a higher mounted motor.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:58 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
From how your description read there, the low mounted motor was an issue ingesting mud. Definitely not going to be a happy mud truck when mud is above the axles... and mud volcanoing up through the motor vents.

Some more sealed motor would be good there... or a truck with a higher mounted motor.
Yeah, honestly, mud will get into and ruin any brushed motor that isn't sealed. I'm planning a motor/esc swap shortly. *cough* MAMBA *cough*
Old 08-03-2017, 10:19 AM   #29
clm
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yeah, honestly, mud will get into and ruin any brushed motor that isn't sealed. I'm planning a motor/esc swap shortly. *cough* MAMBA *cough*
[Tim Toolman Taylor] More Power! -grunt grunt grunt- [/Tim Toolman Taylor]

Last edited by clm; 08-03-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:15 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

So I did a couple minor things after that major mud fest...

Added a broken winch for more better looks.

Replaced stock "servo" with one I had lying in my parts bin. A HiTec 7954HV which, at 400 oz. should probably provide enough steering power. Vanquish steering horn too.

With much thanks to Castle for providing me with their latest power system, I've installed the MambaX and 2850kV Slate motor. Waterproof, sensored, and plenty of torque. Yay for new electronics. Can't wait to give this a go.

I've got a clear body on order, as Hemistorm and I are planning on having a friendly body paint-off. There's also a number of parts coming courtesy of Shapeways as well from both Knight Customs and Bowhouse RC. More to come!

Last edited by imthatguy; 08-07-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:20 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

WHAT , NO BINFORD servo or motor ???
Hmmmmm....

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:49 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Nice start.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:49 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
Great video, I'm glad you posted that to show the awesomeness of the Traxxas TRX-4. You can see how that mud presented no challenge. Great stuff !!!!
Every vehicle has strengths and weaknesses, and this truck impresses me all the time.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:11 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Very nice similar setup I'm running except I got the 2700kv puller pro stubby. Happy with that and the Mamba X.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:33 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
I've got a clear body on order, as Hemistorm and I are planning on having a friendly body paint-off.
So. Much. Yes.

Can't wait to see this, two top-tier artists whose work is both admirable and simply inspiring. No doubt will be awesome to see the results!
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:39 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Just wondering guys about what you need to do with a brushless motor after you've been in the drink?

With the Titan I actually pull it out after the day, spray contact cleaner through it and oil the bearings and reinstall which takes about 10 minutes. I've pondered wrapping the motor in some kind of thick industrial strength panty hose to stop the dirt clogging up the brushes like my 7yo managed to do with my Bomber the other week.

What do you guys do with your expensive brushless systems? I know they don't have open holes etc but I imagine they are not sealed and lots of dirt and stuff would get in them and gunk them up which from experience could be expensive when your setup does something bad and the ESC and motor decide on mutual termination. Keeping them clean of muck and oiled etc seems just as necessary as a cheapo brushed motor (far more so I guess with the money involved).

From my RC heli days, opening a brushless motor was annoying with C clips and C clip pliers and plastic bags to catch the clips before they are lost forever and the needing new replacement clips as the old ones sometimes bend etc.
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:50 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
WHAT , NO BINFORD servo or motor ???
Hmmmmm....

Hang up and Drive
Out of stock.

Quote:
Nice start.
Should be a nice finish too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
Great video, I'm glad you posted that to show the awesomeness of the Traxxas TRX-4. You can see how that mud presented no challenge. Great stuff !!!!
Every vehicle has strengths and weaknesses, and this truck impresses me all the time.
Ehhh, yeah it was fine. When it's a fun trail ride like this with limited obstacles, sure it's a fun truck, but no different than any other. Also, never underestimate the power of editing...

Quote:
Very nice similar setup I'm running except I got the 2700kv puller pro stubby. Happy with that and the Mamba X.
Nice. Everyone has preferences. What was your reasoning for going with Holmes for the motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
So. Much. Yes.

Can't wait to see this, two top-tier artists whose work is both admirable and simply inspiring. No doubt will be awesome to see the results!
Wait until you see our theme choices... A little out of left field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRunning View Post
Just wondering guys about what you need to do with a brushless motor after you've been in the drink?

With the Titan I actually pull it out after the day, spray contact cleaner through it and oil the bearings and reinstall which takes about 10 minutes. I've pondered wrapping the motor in some kind of thick industrial strength panty hose to stop the dirt clogging up the brushes like my 7yo managed to do with my Bomber the other week.

What do you guys do with your expensive brushless systems? I know they don't have open holes etc but I imagine they are not sealed and lots of dirt and stuff would get in them and gunk them up which from experience could be expensive when your setup does something bad and the ESC and motor decide on mutual termination. Keeping them clean of muck and oiled etc seems just as necessary as a cheapo brushed motor (far more so I guess with the money involved).

From my RC heli days, opening a brushless motor was annoying with C clips and C clip pliers and plastic bags to catch the clips before they are lost forever and the needing new replacement clips as the old ones sometimes bend etc.
When I put a Brushless system in, I do my best to stay out of the mud. If the company claims it's "waterproof" or "element proof" I take that with a grain of salt. Brushless motors tend to fair quite well (for me) provided the sensor wire doesn't get soaked (use dialectric grease). I also when necessary hit the whole udnerside of the truck with WD40 before any serious mud. The cans are sealed-ish and provided you hose them out and dry them off, should be fine.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:01 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Nice. Everyone has preferences. What was your reasoning for going with Holmes for the motor?
Got it before the crawler combos.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:27 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Quote:
Ehhh, yeah it was fine. When it's a fun trail ride like this with limited obstacles, sure it's a fun truck, but no different than any other. Also, never underestimate the power of editing...

Yeah... I guess fun is all down to ones perspective, I mean since headquake was the one driving, he's the one who had all the fun - I'd love to hear his perspective.
I guess when you've been doing this as long as you have, it takes more to create a positive impression.
I'm starting to see your perspective actually, after all, this is a pretty average and run of mill truck.
Thank you for readjusting my perspective.

Last edited by rockhugger; 08-08-2017 at 10:29 PM.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:45 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
Yeah... I guess fun is all down to ones perspective, I mean since headquake was the one driving, he's the one who had all the fun - I'd love to hear his perspective.
I guess when you've been doing this as long as you have, it takes more to create a positive impression.
I'm starting to see your perspective actually, after all, this is a pretty average and run of mill truck.
Thank you for readjusting my perspective.
He enjoyed it, but was like me, and once he had the diffs locked and trans set in low, he didn't go back to those again.

I don't want to totally disparage the truck. It's a decent truck and Traxxas certainly did all they could to innovate. I just don't think the frills are necessary, and I think we can all agree that "new" doesn't always mean "better".

ImthatTraxxas TRX-4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My trx-4 journey dittohead Traxxas TRX-4 6 08-05-2017 10:42 PM
TRX Bronco Exocaged Traxxas TRX-4 13 07-20-2017 07:16 AM