Notices

Thread: ImthatTraxxas TRX-4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2017, 11:12 AM   #41
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: ImthatTraxxas TRX-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
He enjoyed it, but was like me, and once he had the diffs locked and trans set in low, he didn't go back to those again.

I don't want to totally disparage the truck. It's a decent truck and Traxxas certainly did all they could to innovate. I just don't think the frills are necessary, and I think we can all agree that "new" doesn't always mean "better".
Sorry and dont mean to degrade you opinion but you sound old and set in your ways but i still think its a better truck that the axial rtr right off the bat!
solo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo1 View Post
Sorry and dont mean to degrade you opinion but you sound old and set in your ways but i still think its a better truck that the axial rtr right off the bat!
Let me guess, you were born after 1990?

I've owned all kinds of trucks from all kinds of manufacturers and just because I like to keep it simple does not make me old (even though I am). It makes me smart. Because they're easy to fix if something does break, and over the life of the thing, way cheaper to maintain. But to each their own.

I'll happily use this the way I want, and you young whipper snappers can press all the buttons on your remote.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:20 PM   #43
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
Let me guess, you were born after 1990?

I've owned all kinds of trucks from all kinds of manufacturers and just because I like to keep it simple does not make me old (even though I am). It makes me smart. Because they're easy to fix if something does break, and over the life of the thing, way cheaper to maintain. But to each their own.

I'll happily use this the way I want, and you young whipper snappers can press all the buttons on your remote.
Thanks for the compliment but im 60! Lol
solo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:02 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

To continue with this truck, I've made a bunch of changes courtesy of Shapeways via Bowhouse RC and Knight Customs.

Here's some video to detail what'll be happening:

Old 08-29-2017, 10:51 AM   #45
clm
Quarry Creeper

I can't wait to see the finished body!
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:25 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Paint is nearly there, and some of the multitude of Knight Customs bits installed. Check out the video here for a rundown on paint and other junk:

Old 09-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #47
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo1 View Post
Well it will allow you to hold a much tighter line that you might not make with the rears locked which at a comp could allow you to skip on a reverse.
I would just like to reiterate what solo1 said that turns are much tighter. I can turn my TRX4 with diffs unlocked in half the radius of my friends SCX10. I run with my diffs unlocked all the time and only lock them when needed then immediately unlock again. Running this way I have also noticed that generally speaking the TRX4 just moves much easier over uneven terrain because each wheel is free to rotate at different speeds as needed. I don't comp but it doesn't take a genius see where holding a tighter line and less tire slippage on uneven terrain would be a good thing for the small trade off of a slight additional weight. I suspect that as people spend time with the TRX4 and work through the mechanics, you will start to see lockable diffs become common in competition rigs.

Last edited by Inspector86; 09-10-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:44 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
I don't comp but it doesn't take a genius see where holding a tighter line and less tire slippage on uneven terrain would be a good thing for the small trade off of a slight additional weight. I suspect that as people spend time with the TRX4 and work through the mechanics, you will start to see lockable diffs become common in competition rigs.
Sadly, the chances of failure in the system just make no sense to someone who does comp. For just an occasional comp and mainly trail running it was a nice feature, but as I have moved mine to comp only use, no way I'd leave it.

It actually weighs quite a bit, with the stock servos (and since direct replacements aren't plentiful really) being weak, then add in cables that can and will stretch. I also have noticed when the tires are in any sort of traction and you lock or unlock, until weight/bind is completely removed it won't lock/unlock.
I'll gladly take 10 reverses a course over having one small failure and get stuck in unlocked and cause me to DNF a course. That said, driven smart you can avoid plenty of reverses even fully locked up. It still turns pretty decently (stock ascender or so).

Full locked isn't going to be for everyone, it really won't. I do still bang it in second sometimes, but the end goal will be to remove that as well likely when I rebuild the entire truck on a new chassis
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:53 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Sadly, the chances of failure in the system just make no sense to someone who does comp. For just an occasional comp and mainly trail running it was a nice feature, but as I have moved mine to comp only use, no way I'd leave it.

It actually weighs quite a bit, with the stock servos (and since direct replacements aren't plentiful really) being weak, then add in cables that can and will stretch. I also have noticed when the tires are in any sort of traction and you lock or unlock, until weight/bind is completely removed it won't lock/unlock.
I'll gladly take 10 reverses a course over having one small failure and get stuck in unlocked and cause me to DNF a course. That said, driven smart you can avoid plenty of reverses even fully locked up. It still turns pretty decently (stock ascender or so).

Full locked isn't going to be for everyone, it really won't. I do still bang it in second sometimes, but the end goal will be to remove that as well likely when I rebuild the entire truck on a new chassis
Hey guys, I locked my front diff with JB Weld, pulled the cable and servo.
My thoughts are that I'm going to use the front locked diff kind of like a over drive. With it locked I can lock or unlock the rear as I want to turn or when climbing and when I want the front to have more traction than the rear. Time will tell how it works. I have Hitec mini servos ordered for the rear locker and Two speed.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 09-11-2017 at 05:57 PM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:48 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I would just like to reiterate what solo1 said that turns are much tighter. I can turn my TRX4 with diffs unlocked in half the radius of my friends SCX10. I run with my diffs unlocked all the time and only lock them when needed then immediately unlock again. Running this way I have also noticed that generally speaking the TRX4 just moves much easier over uneven terrain because each wheel is free to rotate at different speeds as needed. I don't comp but it doesn't take a genius see where holding a tighter line and less tire slippage on uneven terrain would be a good thing for the small trade off of a slight additional weight. I suspect that as people spend time with the TRX4 and work through the mechanics, you will start to see lockable diffs become common in competition rigs.
Reiterate all you like. I can't convince you that this truck would be laughably bad in a comp for a ton of reasons, one of which is, it's just too big and too tall. Regardless of body. Turning radius won't help much, and fiddling around locking and unlocking sounds, well, tiresome. All of that said, I'm no genius.

Quote:

Thanks for your counterpoint that matches a lot of things I've said to others. Turning/reversing once or twice is not that big of a deal, considering the number of shortcomings this truck has against it's competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Hey guys, I locked my front diff with JB Weld, pulled the cable and servo.
My thoughts are that I'm going to use the front locked diff kind of like a over drive. With it locked I can lock or unlock the rear as I want to turn or when climbing and when I want the front to have more traction than the rear. Time will tell how it works. I have Hitec mini servos ordered for the rear locker and Two speed.
Ernie
Interesting thought. I'd love to see someone actually build an overdrive for realsies.

Okay, so wrapping this one up, and probably shooting the final video tomorrow, which will involve actually taking the truck outside. Before that, here's the rundown on all the final bits and bobs courtesy of Knight Customs and Shapeways.

Started by adding the Fender vents, or Engine coolers, or Speed holes. Whatever they're called.

Then proper fuel filler hole thingy.

The door handles and hinges.

Then snorkel.

Then Rotopax and Bugout rack.

Then Pro-Line PL-C interior piece. This required much cutting, and completely wrecking the paint job by thinking you're spraying matte clear, but really you're spraying smoke. Yay... It's crude, but it's there and hides electronics. So yeah.

And then? NO AND THEN! All done. Happy to say it looks like I wanted it to and makes me happier than the stock body ever could. Much kudos to James for getting out some awesome pieces that really elevate the look of this truck. Now to go outside and play with it! Hooray!

Old 09-16-2017, 08:43 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Looks awesome! I wish Traxxas didn't paint the windows black and left them clear >_<
tuanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:06 AM   #52
Rock Crawler

Default ImthatTraxxas TRX-4

Great build Mr.Thatguy, so what's your next mass production scaler purchase going to be since the Trx4 looks to be fully covered including multiple videos. Will you be stooping down to the Redcat level with there new Everest Gen.7? No really though it looks to be a decent rig and the build quality looks light years better than previous Redcat rigs (though looks can be deceiving). Or will it be the HPI Venture that was supposed to be released, and than released again and then again. It seems like it will get good reviews (after all, it is a Toyota). Whatever it is I hope it is covered in full detail and honest opinions as you do with all your rigs. To date I still think you gave the highest praise to the 10.2. Watching your video of it and hearing the words You are going to love this truck, was one of the big selling points when I decided to step into the scale game.

Last edited by MattySlimz1987; 09-17-2017 at 01:08 AM.
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:52 AM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Officially my favorite TRX-4 - stunning, detailing and paint choices are perfect.

Damn, that's a hot ride!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:51 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanies View Post
Looks awesome! I wish Traxxas didn't paint the windows black and left them clear >_<
Me too, but that's not the Traxxas way. Who knows, maybe on the next one they'll figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattySlimz1987 View Post
Great build Mr.Thatguy, so what's your next mass production scaler purchase going to be since the Trx4 looks to be fully covered including multiple videos. Will you be stooping down to the Redcat level with there new Everest Gen.7? No really though it looks to be a decent rig and the build quality looks light years better than previous Redcat rigs (though looks can be deceiving). Or will it be the HPI Venture that was supposed to be released, and than released again and then again. It seems like it will get good reviews (after all, it is a Toyota). Whatever it is I hope it is covered in full detail and honest opinions as you do with all your rigs. To date I still think you gave the highest praise to the 10.2. Watching your video of it and hearing the words You are going to love this truck, was one of the big selling points when I decided to step into the scale game.
I'll probably get the HPI Venture just to get it. Don't see myself getting a Redcat - just not interested. Axial did a pretty spectacular job ticking all the boxes for me - only downside was motor placement, but they did a killer job balancing it out anyway. I just like how well the Axial trucks work, without the need for a bunch of gimmicks. If the TRX didn't have all the junk that takes away from the "crawling/trail truck" experience, I'd probably like it more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Officially my favorite TRX-4 - stunning, detailing and paint choices are perfect.

Damn, that's a hot ride!
Well shucks, thanks very much. A photo from today:

D'oh. I forgot to mention the lights, from Powershift RC. Easily wired into the battery leads, as the kit is 3S capable. Very greet.

Last edited by imthatguy; 09-17-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:22 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

I hate just adding this type of comment, but your builds deserve it. I like how your builds are always so amazingly scale and the paint scheme is just superb in the overall look.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:23 AM   #56

I don't want to, but for some reason I like that 1970's conversion van, sunbeam paint job! It looks great.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:19 PM   #57
RCC Addict

Imthatguy has an uncanny vision when it comes to these trucks - they always turn out looking awesome, and are always unique. Always thinking outside the box!
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:13 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I hate just adding this type of comment, but your builds deserve it. I like how your builds are always so amazingly scale and the paint scheme is just superb in the overall look.
Alternatively, I have no trouble responding to this type of post! I very much appreciate the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I don't want to, but for some reason I like that 1970's conversion van, sunbeam paint job! It looks great.
Thanks very much, it turned out better than I was expecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
Imthatguy has an uncanny vision when it comes to these trucks - they always turn out looking awesome, and are always unique. Always thinking outside the box!
Ah shucks. Now I'm blushing.

And here's the final video in the series. A few tips & tricks, as well as a running video on the beach. Thanks goodness Summer decided to last another month.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:45 PM   #59
RCC Addict

I'm getting ready to install my Mamba X and 1406-2280 but I don't know what to do with the white wire. Did you utilize the white wire and if so can you elaborate?
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:51 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm getting ready to install my Mamba X and 1406-2280 but I don't know what to do with the white wire. Did you utilize the white wire and if so can you elaborate?
White wire? You've got me very confused. Motor side or ESC side?

ImthatTraxxas TRX-4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My trx-4 journey dittohead Traxxas TRX-4 6 08-05-2017 10:42 PM
TRX Bronco Exocaged Traxxas TRX-4 13 07-20-2017 07:16 AM