Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Trx4 and water ( a little warning)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2017, 02:58 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Trx4 and water ( a little warning)

Just thought id warn the group that apearently the traxxas link module does not like water. I recently was at the recon g6 in pa and we drove most of the day in the rain on friday the truck and radio did a really good job and work fine but the radio will no longer link to my phone.
solo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2017, 09:25 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Trx4 and water ( a little warning)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo1 View Post
Just thought id warn the group that apearently the traxxas link module does not like water. I recently was at the recon g6 in pa and we drove most of the day in the rain on friday the truck and radio did a really good job and work fine but the radio will no longer link to my phone.
Two things:
1: thanks for the heads up! After giving the kit some time dry out, did she come back to life?

2: a bit OT, but where can one find more details about said PA G6 event? I'm from the philly area myself, and have been looking for some events to go to

Last edited by AggressorBLUE; 07-22-2017 at 09:28 AM.
AggressorBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #3
clm
Quarry Creeper

I am unsure if any radio handset is waterproof. The fact you only lost the link module is probably just luck, more dampness and you would likely have lost the transmitter too, at the very least it might have started glitching.

I would be careful with any electronics in the rain or other damp conditions, don't use anything you are not willing to replace.
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:10 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

We were out in the pouring rain driving up a trale that was a very scale raging river. Lol it was a soaker and i was tring to keep the radio as dry as possible but no joy on that! And for finding the g6 it was at blue rocks campground in lenheartsville pa not that far from phl if you check recon g6 on facebook or in th g 6 thread farther down on the front page here. There is a scale comp at saint peters pa on the 30th entry is $5 and they want to start @9am if you care to come

After drying i still cant get it to work

Last edited by solo1; 07-22-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:45 PM   #5
clm
Quarry Creeper

Perhaps when you get a new one you could take your radio and the module apart and give them a conformal coating to make the radio waterproof too?
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:55 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Is there something waterproof like a TX glove for land/car TX's (I know there are plane ones for warming your hands up)?

My son and I were just wondering around in the rain with gortex jackets and we're nice and dry and there is no stress with the TRX4 and SCX10.1...but the TX's...they were getting pretty wet. I've got them on the heater atm and the first thing I wondered when I read this thread was, what product fits the niche for keeping your TX nice and dry.

Does anyone know of anything that might fit this role?
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:07 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Keep a plastic bag in your backpack, one large enough for the transmitter to fit in. You can leave the bottom open for your trigger hand and turn the wheel from outside the bag. At least it will keep the rain from falling onto the radio.
chipgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:16 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Not sure about the link module part, but my Spektrum transmitter got wet and wouldn't turn on.
Took it apart, dried it all off, cleaned all the boards / contacts with spray alcohol then when dried i water proofed all the boards with silicone conformal coating.
Not sure about being fully water proof but should be rain proof easy.
Hardcoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:53 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I think the biggest problem with the link is that its in basiclly a square hole and the wire connections are at the bottom probably if you were to put some tape around the edges you'd be good to go cause as i said the radio itself survived a lot of rain

Trx4 and water ( a little warning) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX4 Mods chipgibbs Traxxas TRX-4 83 05-01-2019 08:44 PM
Unimog TRX4 Parkflyer Traxxas Crawlers 13 11-06-2018 08:10 AM
Matt's TRX4 marinearmeni Traxxas TRX-4 1 06-21-2017 09:38 PM
Thoughts on TRX4? trascall10 Traxxas TRX-4 1 05-02-2017 04:12 AM
WARNING! aluminum wheels+salt water= bad! chino63 Tires and Wheels 16 06-17-2006 04:25 AM