Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Tower Hobbies is canceling backorders for TRX-4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2017, 07:00 AM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Tower Hobbies is canceling backorders for TRX-4

For those stating that all Traxxas cares about is sales...I hate to break it to you, but Traxxas is a business first and foremost. Of course they care about sales...increasing sales, increasing distributorship, making sure their product is in the right hands for most effective sales, etc. If certain distributors or LHS are not producing the sales, they likely hold off on supplying product to them and give the product to those moving the product the best. You don't have to like it, but in the end, Traxxas is going to do what is best for them in order to make a profit. They are a business. Now some might look at this and think that this is not supporting the LHS or its bad business, etc. Maybe to a degree. However, Traxxas has been around for a while and they are still going strong. Some don't like Traxxas, but a whole helluva lot more do. Traxxas will survive and will do so with those distributors and LHS that in turn support them.

As for the discontinuation of coupons, I do believe that Traxxas, Axial, etc. was the genesis of that. Not the online retailers. Tower, RPP, etc. were restricted from offering discounts by Traxxas, Axial, etc. Hard to blame Tower or RPP or whomever else.
ebbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2017, 08:27 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

I posted this June 11 when I lucked into a TRX4 and think this could add a little insight to this matter:

Ok, I thought I wanted to rebuild my TRX4 a little so decides to document it with a thread.
I had originally pre ordered my truck from Tower Hobbies the 4 of May, but a little family trip to Southern Oregon changed my mind on that one!
We headed to Medford This last Thursday to visit famly and watch our granddaughters play some softball. Their games were Thursday and Saturday so we had all day Friday to do some second handing and repurpose shopping. After a few Goodwill stores and others I decided I wanted to go to a local hobby shop I like to visit when in town. " RC Addiction" a shop that has been providing this area with RC parts for over 30 years!!!
When we pulled up to the building the shop was gone. So I did a google search and found another address for it, I thought "oh good".
We made our way to the address and it was Gene and Bettys residents. So there in the garage window was a open sign flashing so I rang the bell. Sure enough Betty answered the door, and we went into the single bay garage. As I was surveying the stock inside Betty asked, " how can I help you", and I pointed to a TRX4 box and said "I came for that" in amazement that this little shop even had one.
To make a long story a little shorter, in visiting with Betty she said they couldn't afford the store front and maintenance so they moved to their garage. In chatting with her I guess most all her distributors stop selling to her because she was in residential zoning and yes I understand why but it sucks that they would cut them off after 30 years of buying from them. I say BS to the distributors!!!! And you did notice that I said MOST all of the distributors stop selling to them, but one didn't, Traxxas, and that was why she had TRX4s in stock. The truck was $40 more than the one I had pre ordered from Tower, but I paid that with a smile, because Betty had told me that the shop helps pay for the groceries. Mom and Pop, now I have a better understanding of Traxxas thoughts on their scheme for distribution of these trucks and why. To helped Mom and Pop pay for the Groceries!!!

Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:51 AM   #43

Now even the TRX-4 is shown as discontinued on Tower. This is a huge blow for Tower and Great Planes. I also think it's a blow to Traxxas. So many of us are loyal Tower customers. They have lost some of my loyalty as of late, but I think this will effect both Great Planes, its satellite companies and Traxxas.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:08 AM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Now even the TRX-4 is shown as discontinued on Tower. This is a huge blow for Tower and Great Planes. I also think it's a blow to Traxxas. So many of us are loyal Tower customers. They have lost some of my loyalty as of late, but I think this will effect both Great Planes, its satellite companies and Traxxas.
This will hurt Tower more than it will hurt Traxxas. If people want the TRX4 or any other Traxxas vehicle, they will go find it, Tower loyalist or not.
ebbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:11 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbet View Post
This will hurt Tower more than it will hurt Traxxas. If people want the TRX4 or any other Traxxas vehicle, they will go find it, Tower loyalist or not.
I agree with this. Tower losing Traxxas is like a phone store losing Android (the #1 seller). You know their sales will take a hit.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:16 AM   #46
I wanna be Dave

I'm waiting for the "screw Traxxas" sale on all remaining inventory. Coupons and discounts for all!

Undercut all those local shops and screw them over for one last time.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I'm waiting for the "screw Traxxas" sale on all remaining inventory.

They would need them in stock to do so.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:20 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
They would need them in stock to do so.

Not TRX4s but there are Bandits, Stampedes, X01s, boats, and a bunch of parts to unload.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:09 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
.... I decided I wanted to go to a local hobby shop I like to visit when in town. " RC Addiction" a shop that has been providing this area with RC parts for over 30 years!!!
When we pulled up to the building the shop was gone. So I did a google search and found another address for it, I thought "oh good".
We made our way to the address and it was Gene and Bettys residents. So there in the garage window was a open sign flashing so I rang the bell. Sure enough Betty answered the door, and we went into the single bay garage. As I was surveying the stock inside Betty asked, " how can I help you", and I pointed to a TRX4 box and said "I came for that" in amazement that this little shop even had one.
To make a long story a little shorter, in visiting with Betty she said they couldn't afford the store front and maintenance so they moved to their garage. In chatting with her I guess most all her distributors stop selling to her because she was in residential zoning and yes I understand why but it sucks that they would cut them off after 30 years of buying from them. I say BS to the distributors!!!! And you did notice that I said MOST all of the distributors stop selling to them, but one didn't, Traxxas, and that was why she had TRX4s in stock. The truck was $40 more than the one I had pre ordered from Tower, but I paid that with a smile, because Betty had told me that the shop helps pay for the groceries. Mom and Pop, now I have a better understanding of Traxxas thoughts on their scheme for distribution of these trucks and why. To helped Mom and Pop pay for the Groceries!!!

Ernie
Nailed it Ernie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbet View Post
This has happened before with Tower (Great Plains) they "discontinued" Kyosho and TLR (Losi) were both "discontinued" at Tower Hobbies, if you search their site they carry other manufacturer's parts for both brands, but nothing TLR (Losi) branded. Kyosho was absent from their site for several years (in stock other places), but are now back. Tower's not a loss for Traxxas, I haven't bought much from Tower in years, due to slow shipping (even though their west coast distribution center is only couple hours away), meh prices, and having a good LHS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I'm waiting for the "screw Traxxas" sale on all remaining inventory. Coupons and discounts for all!

Won't happen, they are already getting sued and why sell Traxxas parts for less than they know the market will pay?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:14 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
This has happened before with Tower (Great Plains) they "discontinued" Kyosho and TLR (Losi) were both "discontinued" at Tower Hobbies, if you search their site they carry other manufacturer's parts for both brands, but nothing TLR (Losi) branded. Kyosho was absent from their site for several years (in stock other places), but are now back. Tower's not a loss for Traxxas, I haven't bought much from Tower in years, due to slow shipping (even though their west coast distribution center is only couple hours away), meh prices, and having a good LHS.
Losi's parent company, Horizon, is a direct competitor of Great Planes. I believe that's why Tower doesn't carry Losi.

Kyosho was probably absent from Tower because they are not that popular in the US especially outside of racing. There's really no point in carrying a brand that doesn't sell.

I've had the opposite experience with Tower. With their coupons they had the best prices anywhere and shipping was consistently 2 or 3 days. They have cheaped out lately though and often coupons are not applicable and/or the shipping has slowed down greatly. Sometimes parts take over a week so I only order from Tower if I have a larger order or if I'm ordering a kit or RTR.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:19 AM   #51
Rock Crawler

Traxxas is the Amazon of RC.

I am sure they have bigger plans. Depending on only hobby shops (and a few auto parts stores) to carry their products is slowing down their growth.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:52 AM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Losi's parent company, Horizon, is a direct competitor of Great Planes. I believe that's why Tower doesn't carry Losi.

Kyosho was probably absent from Tower because they are not that popular in the US especially outside of racing. There's really no point in carrying a brand that doesn't sell.

I've had the opposite experience with Tower. With their coupons they had the best prices anywhere and shipping was consistently 2 or 3 days. They have cheaped out lately though and often coupons are not applicable and/or the shipping has slowed down greatly. Sometimes parts take over a week so I only order from Tower if I have a larger order or if I'm ordering a kit or RTR.
No reason to order a kit from them the codes don't work with anything just to to your lhs.

fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:10 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Tower is our East coast RPP. Well, mine anyway. Free shipping, decent deals, and usually at my door in 2 days. Customer service is top notch.

Don't think this will hurt Traxxas (other than me not buying their damn truck..) but will hurt Tower for sure. Times are a changing.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:03 PM   #54
Rock Stacker

I've ordered a lot from Tower over the last couple years and haven't had many problems. When I did their customer service handled things just fine. They're still one of my top go to places if I need something. The dropping of coupon codes for certain brands has been a bummer but other manufacturers have jumped on that too such as Axial and most recently RC4WD. Other online retailers have the same restrictions. The fact that Traxxas and TH aren't getting along sucks but it just a business move obviously which probably has it's roots in this litigation. Both Tower and Traxxas will survive and get along just fine without each other, life will go on.
NickelPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:11 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Are you the only person in the world not aware of the TRX-4?
I wrote interesting. The TRX4 is not.
Move on, lots of other stuff on the market. And lots of stuff more fun to wrench on.
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:24 PM   #56
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelowDoom View Post
Move on, lots of other stuff on the market. And lots of stuff more fun to wrench on.
*Largest manufacturer of go-fast trucks suddenly releases a competitive scaler with portal axles, 2-speed transmission, diff locks, and overall decent design*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelowDoom
"It doesn't come with an included ball scratcher and back tickler. NEXT!"
I mean, now I'm just curious as to what you consider "interesting".
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
*Largest manufacturer of go-fast trucks suddenly releases a competitive scaler with portal axles, 2-speed transmission, diff locks, and overall decent design*

I mean, now I'm just curious as to what you consider "interesting".
Got fast has nothing to do with making interesting crawlers, and it is in fact one of the things that maks this less appealing. It is made to much to appeal to young go fast kids. With features completely unnecessary in a crawler.

What i consider interesting is: Something without a diff lock that will never be used. We are talking about crawlers, they pretty much has to have locked diffs. And preferably without portals that raises links and over all cog of the vehicle. And 2 speed is also something I don't fancy.
Also the TRX-4 definitely don't have a over all decent design. It is cramped full of useless stuff and shity electronics, that make it a pain in the ass to move stuff about in the chassis.
The one positive thing with the TRX4 is the driveline layup and the link setup. If only it was done as a kit with a single speed reliable transmission with motor up front and without portals. It could have been something. As it is the tried and true scx10 2, Ascender and MST rigs is much more interesting. Even the Gmade GOM is more interesting. Will probably pick up one of those long before I even consider a TRX4.

Last edited by AngelowDoom; 07-27-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:56 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Got fast has nothing to do with making interesting crawlers, and it is in fact one of the things that maks this less appealing. It is made to much to appeal to young go fast kids. With features completely unnecessary in a crawler.

What i consider interesting is: Something without a diff lock that will never be used. We are talking about crawlers, they pretty much has to have locked diffs. And preferably without portals that raises links and over all cog of the vehicle. And 2 speed is also something I don't fancy.
Also the TRX-4 definitely don't have a over all decent design. It is cramped full of useless stuff and shity electronics, that make it a pain in the ass to move stuff about in the chassis.
The one positive thing with the TRX4 is the driveline layup and the link setup. If only it was done as a kit with a single speed reliable transmission with motor up front and without portals. It could have been something. As it is the tried and true scx10 2, Ascender and MST rigs is much more interesting. Even the Gmade GOM is more interesting. Will probably pick up one of those long before I even consider a TRX4.
I wasn't particularly excited about all the features, but yes about the technology, quality, fit and finish. Then I drove one at LHS, wow love it and bought one! Out of the box, it's already way ahead of all other crawlers, but everything can be modified. It crawls very well and has sweet Defender body with inner fenders, rock light buckets built in, etc.

Many parts can be removed and sold, modified etc. to your desires, we've been modifying toy trucks for years now. Motor is already up front and very low too, but to each their own.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:06 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

To much to rip out to get it as I want to even consider it. But maybe in a couple of years if i come over a used cheep one, it could be a itzy bitzy bit interesting.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:09 PM   #60

Quote:
It is very interesting. You're pretty much the only one I've seen online so far that isn't interested in it.

Some people are all "Doom" and gloom.

Tower Hobbies is canceling backorders for TRX-4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tower Hobbies? mhuffman_81 General Crawlers 5 04-15-2013 01:27 PM
Tower Hobbies jhtoy Chit Chat 34 03-06-2012 06:28 AM
tower hobbies chino63 Chit Chat 28 10-17-2006 12:19 PM
Tower Hobbies plyr2k Chit Chat 16 06-09-2006 11:01 PM