Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Tower Hobbies is canceling backorders for TRX-4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2017, 06:13 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Tower Hobbies is canceling backorders for TRX-4

Just got notified that "they cannot fulfill the order" and they suggested I go to my LHS. I better get my $60 in gift certificates credited back.
it8ezbngrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2017, 07:40 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tower Hobbies is canceling backorders for TRX-4

Been on backorder since 5/2....just called 2 weeks ago and they were "on track" - guess that changed.

If Traxxas is throwing Tower overboard, then I won't be buying one. Been a customer there for 20 years.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:36 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Traxxas is becoming their own dealer. No more Hobbico.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:38 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
Traxxas is becoming their own dealer. No more Hobbico.
so does that mean tower will no longer sell traxxas stuff? I dont understand the issue I reckon, if they are becoming their own dealer then I would presume they would still sell their stuff to tower...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:51 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
so does that mean tower will no longer sell traxxas stuff? I dont understand the issue I reckon, if they are becoming their own dealer then I would presume they would still sell their stuff to tower...
No more from what I understand. I meant distributor not dealer btw.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2017, 08:57 PM   #6
RCC Addict

No middleman, ie Tower, could mean bringing back the coupon code?? Probably not tho
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:21 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
No middleman, ie Tower, could mean bringing back the coupon code?? Probably not tho
Higher prices probably.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:19 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Same prices, more profit most likely. Too many action sports to sponsor. I had a feeling this would happen once Traxxascreared it's webstore.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:04 AM   #9

The TRX-4 is still available for pre-order on Tower...
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:29 AM   #10

As I understand it, they no longer sell to Hobbico, who is Great Planes and Tower Hobbies. Traxxas products, including the TRX-4 can still be had from other on-line sites. It looks to me that they are trying to shift thier sales more and more to the LHS and away from on-line.
vanyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:40 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyar View Post
As I understand it, they no longer sell to Hobbico, who is Great Planes and Tower Hobbies. Traxxas products, including the TRX-4 can still be had from other on-line sites. It looks to me that they are trying to shift thier sales more and more to the LHS and away from on-line.

Keeping the LHS alive is alright by me.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyar View Post
Lots of people have that theory. I don't buy it. Traxxas doesn't care about LHS. They care about sales.

In my opinion they are only creating this self-distribution model to screw Great Planes.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:27 AM   #13
clm
Quarry Creeper

My LHS got the run around for a month when I ordered my TRX from them. Was very hard time waiting on them, kept getting "end of the week, beginning of next.. etc" Traxxas wouldn't even let them order 1 to have in stock.
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:19 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

My backorder is still listed at the moment....

Stopped at my local Hobbytown, and the owner wasn't even sure what it was at first. Pointed to the display box, and he tells me "oh, we had 2, but we can't get any right now. No idea when they'll be coming in"

Other local shop also was clueless. Said he could try and order one, but no idea when it would come in. Didn't seem particularly interested in selling it either.

I bought my Slash, Tmaxx, Emaxx, Revo, Rustler and who knows how many parts through Tower. Not pleased with the new arrangement.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:52 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
My backorder is still listed at the moment....

Stopped at my local Hobbytown, and the owner wasn't even sure what it was at first. Pointed to the display box, and he tells me "oh, we had 2, but we can't get any right now. No idea when they'll be coming in"

Other local shop also was clueless. Said he could try and order one, but no idea when it would come in. Didn't seem particularly interested in selling it either.

I bought my Slash, Tmaxx, Emaxx, Revo, Rustler and who knows how many parts through Tower. Not pleased with the new arrangement.
Ott's didn't know about the TRX4? I find that hard to believe considering how much Traxxas they sell and since they're also the best spot for Scaler/Cralwer stuff in the area. Hobby Hut had them in stock at some point and I might stop by there to order one soon. I've only been to the West Chester Hobbytown a handful of times for a few specific things but they seem to have a pretty good stock of Traxxas stuff.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:07 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

A Main, RPP Hobby, and a dozen others are still selling them. Losing Tower is no big deal to me.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post
Ott's didn't know about the TRX4? I find that hard to believe considering how much Traxxas they sell and since they're also the best spot for Scaler/Cralwer stuff in the area. Hobby Hut had them in stock at some point and I might stop by there to order one soon. I've only been to the West Chester Hobbytown a handful of times for a few specific things but they seem to have a pretty good stock of Traxxas stuff.
He had no idea about the truck around 2 months ago. I stopped into the new store and asked about the "Traxxas crawler" and he was confused. I explained it was the TRX-4 and all he could tell me at that time was that Traxxas was developing a new distribution model.

Otts wasn't into crawling until the local guys made the scene and urged him to stock kits and parts. These same guys built and maintained the awesome crawling course at the old store. The course went to shit as soon as those guys stopped caring for it because the store itself didn't GAF about it. Of course with the new store location that crawling course and track aren't even part of Otts any longer. The new store is right in town and there isn't room for a crawling course or track.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 07-26-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:23 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I have been doing some checking into this, mainly because of the issues with ordering through Tower, and because my LHS are having issues getting Traxxas gear due to the new distribution plan (they go through GP). GP just does not want to deal with Traxxas' new plan, and there is a copy write lawsuit against GP from Traxxas, so that adds to GP not wanting to carry Traxxas products anymore.

The rumor is Traxxas is trying to make the LHSs more completive with the online merchants. But, Traxxas has weird rules about how much they have to buy, and that is making a lot of LHSs not want to carry Traxxas RCs.

(For the record, I do not consider Hobby Town a LHS, most of their employees can't even spell "RC", to say nothing about being able to give good advice on them.)
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:34 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Sorry to hear of trouble trying to get a trx, definitely abort from tower hobbies and try another site. I've seen a few on ebay for $479-$500 which is not terrible maybe can find cheaper.

As for supporting LHS.. I try to use them when I can even though its a drive to get there. I bought both my axial and traxxas rigs from them and just recently I walked in there and bought 4 Hyrax right off their rack from Proline. Actually I went there for the trx they had two and one was already sold. They said Traxxas wouldn't let them sell the last one to me that they HAD to have one in the store per their agreement. Then a week later they called me and said I could buy their only TRX-4 if I wanted to since I came in first. Solid if you ask me if your hobby shop is good you will like going there. If they suck I dunno it must suck lol. Plus for other things take it home and use very same day & u can see in person takes mystery out of what your buying. although it is fun to get packages in the mail too.

Last edited by Mountainsofbeer; 07-26-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Mountainsofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Lots of people have that theory. I don't buy it. Traxxas doesn't care about LHS. They care about sales.

In my opinion they are only creating this self-distribution model to screw Great Planes.
I'm inclined to agree. Seems like there is some bad blood between the two. Pretty much all Traxxas products on Tower Hobbies website are listed as discontinued.
NickelPlate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tower Hobbies is canceling backorders for TRX-4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tower Hobbies? mhuffman_81 General Crawlers 5 04-15-2013 01:27 PM
Tower Hobbies jhtoy Chit Chat 34 03-06-2012 06:28 AM
tower hobbies chino63 Chit Chat 28 10-17-2006 12:19 PM
Tower Hobbies plyr2k Chit Chat 16 06-09-2006 11:01 PM