Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Silicone differential oil or grease?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2017, 12:20 PM   #1

Default Silicone differential oil or grease?

Hi, I've seen the Harley video of Axle disassembly and I watch the inside of the differential gears is almost dry (like the rest of gears). I use Lucas Red N Tacky in all of the gears but my doubt is i also put the same grease or i buy specific silicone differential oil?

Thanks.
sylvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2017, 12:32 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Silicone differential oil or grease?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvan View Post
Hi, I've seen the Harley video of Axle disassembly and I watch the inside of the differential gears is almost dry (like the rest of gears). I use Lucas Red N Tacky in all of the gears but my doubt is i also put the same grease or i buy specific silicone differential oil?

Thanks.
It depends on how you want the diff to feel. If you just want it to spin freely but be lubricated then you red n tacky is fine. If you want to fine tune how the diff behaves and how difficult it is to unload then you'll want silicon oil.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Di_Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:40 PM   #3
clm
Quarry Creeper

Well, I had mine apart recently and unfortunately it is not a sealed diff, I would recommend a heavy grease as the oil would likely eventually leak out. Heavily packing them is also a good way to keep the diff from clashing.

I would like to eventually see a real sealed locking diff for this truck as tuning the diffs could be a new novel way of adjusting this truck. Able to change from limited slip to full locked might be nicer then super loose to locked.
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:36 PM   #4

Thanks for the opinions, I will continue to use Red N Tacky
Old 07-30-2017, 03:46 PM   #5

Do your lubrication the gears in the gearbox housing ??
Klaus_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:14 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Do not heavily pack with grease. Too much drag. Everything should spin with no drag. Lightly coat the gears. Diff's and portals and trans (metal gear only)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Evo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:49 PM   #7
clm
Quarry Creeper

Oh on the gears outside your diff sure so you have nice smooth action, but packing the diff should slow down the diff action to allow a partial limited slip yet not locked action. It should eliminate the high speed flopping while turning yet keep it from immediately diffing out... well unless you want it to immediatly diff out then yeah only light grease in there

I primarily packed mine to keep the things from grinding as I found both my diffs prone to do with the stock level of grease. There is nothing in the setup to keep the diffs apart and with no pressure when slid to the closest tolerence they do...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eKdpGehvy0

Once the diffs were packed they no longer ground together as the grease held a bit of internal pressure.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:30 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Really they didn't seal the diff? Disappointing maybe someone will release one or a locker so I can just lock them up all the time.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:36 PM   #9
clm
Quarry Creeper

It is inevitable someone will release a locker for the truck, I am however hoping for a higher quality sealed diff that retains the remote locking myself which may be less likely to happen.

I have messed with many many gear diffs and never felt one from a high end kit that was this rough.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:49 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I want an aluminum diff cup personally.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:14 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I'm waiting for stock for my axle weights so I finally have time to go through my truck tranny, diffs and portals. I popped both of my diffs open and put some 3000 silicone oil in them. We will see if it finds its way out. Even if it does the diffs should retain enough to stay lubed for awhile.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus_S View Post
Do your lubrication the gears in the gearbox housing ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo93 View Post
Do not heavily pack with grease. Too much drag. Everything should spin with no drag. Lightly coat the gears. Diff's and portals and trans (metal gear only)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Hi, I've put some grease in the gears of the differential, inside the gears of the portals, inside the gears of the gearbox and inside the differential as in the photo. They are all metal. I have not put much, just to cover the teeth a little and then I left the car running a few minutes at low speed to spread well. As I do in all my cars.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:51 AM   #13

Thank you for your reply, I think I will also grease, I once ordered the Red N Tacky and for the inner transmission I would use a soft greas
Klaus_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:49 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Your not going to notice much difference unless your grease is as thick as fudge.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:48 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I also used Lucos Red. I did not fill the housing i just made sure everyrhing was lubricated nicely.
El Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:56 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Having 2 weeks of solid running on mine a lot of water crossings an mud, I was thinking its time for a tear down , axles tranny, portals, was kinda surprised to find quite abit of moisture in the axles an portals, I went with lucas marine grease, just a light coating, funny now the truck seems to me to be quieter, thanks Harley for the teardown videos.very helpful!
fomoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:52 PM   #17
clm
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
Having 2 weeks of solid running on mine a lot of water crossings an mud, I was thinking its time for a tear down , axles tranny, portals, was kinda surprised to find quite abit of moisture in the axles an portals, I went with lucas marine grease, just a light coating, funny now the truck seems to me to be quieter, thanks Harley for the teardown videos.very helpful!
Two days of light running (maybe 30 minutes each day) in occasional water crossings and I had quite a bit of moisture everywhere inside the trans and axles, there was even water droplets inside the diffs themselves after I took them out of the axles. It was easy to tell what had grease on it and what didn't. Where there was grease the water beaded, without grease the water wet the whole surface.

Last edited by clm; 08-02-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:31 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
Really they didn't seal the diff? Disappointing maybe someone will release one or a locker so I can just lock them up all the time.
No one has released a sealed housing yet. Axials still get wet, Vaterra, and RC4WD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
I want an aluminum diff cup personally.
Because you broke how many of the plastic ones?
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:07 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
No one has released a sealed housing yet. Axials still get wet, Vaterra, and RC4WD.

Because you broke how many of the plastic ones?
Sealed diff not housing. Havens broke a cup but it's bound to happen with the way the shifting works.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:09 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Im.blown away by the amount everyone strips there diffs etc. I drive mine very harď through mud and dirty silty water whenever I can and the most maintenance it gets is a hose pipe and wd40, YES WD40. I don't strip unless it's broke or making the worst noise ever. I'm sure my trucks see a lot more trail times than most people wrenching presuming something is gonna break.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Silicone differential oil or grease? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the best silicone oil for xv01? rally racer #75 Rally 8 01-30-2016 07:26 PM
Differential Oil... Who's tried other weights? Damnir Axial Yeti XL 14 06-27-2015 01:06 AM
grease? oil? or nothing? ryno mike Team Losi Comp Crawler 3 04-28-2012 01:06 PM
Is Silicone Grease OK to use for gears? TheHeadHunter Newbie General 4 02-06-2008 01:09 PM
Can Wheely King diffs hold silicone oil? _BEN_ HPI Wheely King 22 07-05-2007 07:12 PM