Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Keepin' the wife and moderator happy build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2017, 01:13 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Keepin' the wife and moderator happy build

Parts list since I'm not a builder or fabricator. One used,poorly painted(with Tamiya smoked windows)body.One Freqeskinz primer wrap.Four Gear Head 12 pack wheels(I love that name).Four Proline Hyrax tyres.One Mamba Micro X/22850kv motor combo.One Vanquish servo arm. One stock servo (since the Hitec WP drowned/fried/quit.One BEC and one new steering servo(yet to be purchased). One can of Corrosion X HD. Unkown number of Stella Artois. Thanks in advance for consrtuctive criticism (roasting) on truck and thread building.Cheers!
Mudflap84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2017, 02:07 PM   #2
clm
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Keepin' the wife and moderator happy build

Moving back to the stock servo? Sad days :(

But at least it keeps you moving
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:51 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

You may wind up killing that Mamba Micro X. Per Castle's website "This is the perfect upgrade for 2WD or 4WD vehicles over 1.5 lbs and up to 2.25 lbs. The Mamba Micro X also works well in some 1/10th scale crawlers." I am guessing by "Some Crawlers" they are more than likely talking about light weight crawlers which this rig is anything but light.
malickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:42 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Moving back to the stock servo? Sad days :(

But at least it keeps you moving
Indeed.Any suggestions on a good BEC and servo that you like.Kinda blowing the budget on a first gen,no aftermarket support,RTR. Savox? Gotta be WP.Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by malickie View Post
You may wind up killing that Mamba Micro X. Per Castle's website "This is the perfect upgrade for 2WD or 4WD vehicles over 1.5 lbs and up to 2.25 lbs. The Mamba Micro X also works well in some 1/10th scale crawlers." I am guessing by "Some Crawlers" they are more than likely talking about light weight crawlers which this rig is anything but light.
Go back to their website and click on the picture that says 'Rock Crawling Combos' I'm at 8lb 3oz. That's on the edge,but that's where I like to live. There is some testing in the electronics forum by some guy named John Rob Holmes with a Micro and 3300kv on a 10.2 I think. Sorry I don't have links,tired and sunburned from beating on this thing w/3s packs since Friday.

Last edited by THX_138; 08-08-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:00 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap84 View Post
Go back to their website and click on the picture that says 'Rock Crawling Combos' I'm at 8lb 3oz. That's on the edge,but that's where I like to live. There is some testing in the electronics forum by some guy named John Rob Holmes with a Micro and 3300kv on a 10.2 I think. Sorry I don't have links,tired and sunburned from beating on this thing w/3s packs since Friday.
LoL, it's all good. Tend to trust what John say's when it comes to electronics.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:18 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
LoL, it's all good. Tend to trust what John say's when it comes to electronics.
I'm not trying to be a wise ass malickie-the footprint of the Max is pretty big.I will end up regretting this choice in the long run. This truck is pretty cool for what I do, but stock it was a top heavy,tippy pig,even by my standards.Thanks for the input brother
Old 07-30-2017, 07:47 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Final thoughts before bedtime.About 10 years ago,my second build thread on these hallowed pages went something like this:steel ladder frame by a vendor on here I can't recall.TLT axles and homemade links w/dubro ends.Proline 2.2 mashers and HPI Jeep body.Lathe motor.And get this:E-Maxx 2 SPEED tranny,shift servo,3 CHANNEL Tx and Rx. I got scorched by many,complimented by a few.So yeah,I kinda like the Trx and Bomber.I think they're onto something.Goodnight
Old 07-30-2017, 08:55 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Final thoughts before bedtime.About 10 years ago,my second build thread on these hallowed pages went something like this:steel ladder frame by a vendor on here I can't recall.TLT axles and homemade links w/dubro ends.Proline 2.2 mashers and HPI Jeep body.Lathe motor.And get this:E-Maxx 2 SPEED tranny,shift servo,3 CHANNEL Tx and Rx. I got scorched by many,complimented by a few.So yeah,I kinda like the Trx and Bomber.I think they're onto something.Goodnight

I agree the Bomber and TRX4 are both good. Only issues I have with the TRX4 is their Craptastic electronics, granted that is pretty much any RTR so really can't say just the TRX4 lol, that, and I honestly wish the lockers where metal shifters instead of the plastic but eh I am sure sooner or later someone will probably fix that in the aftermarket.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:43 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Indeed.Any suggestions on a good BEC and servo that you like.Kinda blowing the budget on a first gen,no aftermarket support,RTR. Savox? Gotta be WP.Thanks
On the expensive side but I have a Futaba S9177SV and it works great. Waterproof as well. I ran it through some puddles and after some rain no issues.

Quote:
Some guy? That is the man from Holmes Hobbies. He knows his stuff.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:44 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
On the expensive side but I have a Futaba S9177SV and it works great. Waterproof as well. I ran it through some puddles and after some rain no issues.

Some guy? That is the man from Holmes Hobbies. He knows his stuff.
Thanks,I'll look into that Fubar.I'm very familiar with the esteemed Mr.Holmes.I was being a bit sarcastic.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:49 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I agree the Bomber and TRX4 are both good. Only issues I have with the TRX4 is their Craptastic electronics, granted that is pretty much any RTR so really can't say just the TRX4 lol, that, and I honestly wish the lockers where metal shifters instead of the plastic but eh I am sure sooner or later someone will probably fix that in the aftermarket.
I hope sooner malickie,my front shift fork is showing signs of fatigue and giving me grief already
Old 07-31-2017, 07:32 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I hope sooner malickie,my front shift fork is showing signs of fatigue and giving me grief already
Yeah, I kinda thought that might happen sooner or later to people. Was a problem with the summit, and they used the same exact mechanism for this rig. Was Hoping because this is a trail/scale rig and weighs a little less it would be less of an issue. How's the diff cup doing, had that break in the summit a few times. Have yet to tear mine apart and look at things, though I really should, just time constraints because of moving this Saturday.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:18 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yeah, I kinda thought that might happen sooner or later to people. Was a problem with the summit, and they used the same exact mechanism for this rig. Was Hoping because this is a trail/scale rig and weighs a little less it would be less of an issue. How's the diff cup doing, had that break in the summit a few times. Have yet to tear mine apart and look at things, though I really should, just time constraints because of moving this Saturday.
I had my diff open yesterday and put 3000wt silicone in them when I put them back together. I also put some powered graphite on my rings, time will tell if it helps on wear and tear!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:14 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
The cup looked good but it's not gonna last long. We need some alloy diff covers! Those two parts should be at the top of list aftermarket(hint). And some tasty bumpers
Old 08-01-2017, 06:05 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Some guy named John Rob Holmes makes servos too. Think I'll go with the SHV 500 and eliminate the bec.Nice and tidy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Some guy named John Rob Holmes makes servos too. Think I'll go with the SHV 500 and eliminate the bec.Nice and tidy

Yup, did the same thing, also one less part to deal with having a possibility of going bad on you, let alone it does look a lot cleaner.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:03 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Yup, did the same thing, also one less part to deal with having a possibility of going bad on you, let alone it does look a lot cleaner.
malickie,did you have to reverse the shv 500? I really don't want to buy the link for this sub-par Tx,but the way I'm throwing $ at this rig I may have to. Feedback on this servo would be great:reviews indicate people love it or loathe it. Should have named this thing(my build) Ready,Fire,Aim or Man bites Dog. My user name was going to be Bi-polar Masturbating Chimp with Crippling Dyslexia,but it seemed a little cumbersome. The reason I ask is I pulled the Hitec from the Dingo and had to reverse the wires with the soldering iron.

Last edited by Mudflap84; 08-02-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:38 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
malickie,did you have to reverse the shv 500? I really don't want to buy the link for this sub-par Tx,but the way I'm throwing $ at this rig I may have to. Feedback on this servo would be great:reviews indicate people love it or loathe it. Should have named this thing(my build) Ready,Fire,Aim or Man bites Dog. My user name was going to be Bi-polar Masturbating Chimp with Crippling Dyslexia,but it seemed a little cumbersome. The reason I ask is I pulled the Hitec from the Dingo and had to reverse the wires with the soldering iron.

I just wired and went. Although I am not using the stock esc though I doubt that would have any effect on needing to reverse the servo. I will say it has to be the quietest servo I have ever used and has plenty of torque.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:47 PM   #19
clm
Quarry Creeper

Well if you don't want the traxxas link, you could always sell the radio and receiver and replace it with a cheap arse gtx3/gt3b/gt3c flashed to 8 channels with a dasmikro 8ch receiver stuffed in the receiver box with 8 short servo extension leads out of the box so you never have to open it again

https://www.banggood.com/DasMikro-8-...l?rmmds=search

I have one of the gtx3 radios on the way myself.

Think of the possibilities, you could lock each diff separately from the other, winch controls... lots of other things
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:08 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Well if you don't want the traxxas link, you could always sell the radio and receiver and replace it with a cheap arse gtx3/gt3b/gt3c flashed to 8 channels with a dasmikro 8ch receiver stuffed in the receiver box with 8 short servo extension leads out of the box so you never have to open it again

https://www.banggood.com/DasMikro-8-...l?rmmds=search

I have one of the gtx3 radios on the way myself.

Think of the possibilities, you could lock each diff separately from the other, winch controls... lots of other things
Now we're talking. Trying to bridle my enthusiasm and make better decisions now that I have this newcomer showing vast improvements in performance with only a meager $450 investment of bolt on's. Vanquish stock plummeted after I sold the Poison Spyder "RTR" lol.Thanks for the input clm "thumbsup