Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Aftermarket Vendors - Lockers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2017, 06:18 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Aftermarket Vendors - Lockers

I have yet to see anyone posting even working on this. As I have moved mine to comp duty now, while the Diff locks are neat, they are simply just more complexity than I want in the truck I'm building now.

Hoping to see some of the great vendors here working on a full spool/locker system to help those of us wanting to use these axles on a more comp focused truck.

Until then I'll be using the old JB trick, but it would be nice to get some lockers with a possible way to add a chunk of weight down in the axles as well.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Aftermarket Vendors - Lockers

MST portal axles are less complicated and already locked. Why not just use those?
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:52 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I already own the Traxxas ones, plus I prefer the build of the Traxxas quality and parts availability.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:09 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Understood!!!
Old 08-23-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

It'd be cheap and easy to remove the cables, install a set screw to plug the hole, and putty the spider gears. It would also give them just enough give to help save drivetrain parts. No doubt spools are coming but in the meantime, you can DIY. Hot Racing already produced an aluminum diff cup.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:19 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

If you want to lock the diff it's very simple. Just get some M6 shims (I used a thick plastic washer and a thin metal shim) and simply took up the space (with a touch of movement so nothing binds) next to the spline where it previously moved back and forth to lock and unlock the diff. It instantly locks the assembly. I put a dob of black silicone where the cable went so water won't get in.

If someone ever comes out with a locker I'll have some spares for my front but for the time being, my diff is effectively locked.
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:04 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

We should get Locked Up to make a TRX-4 FI spool.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Deadloc Racing has replied and said they have lockers on the list. How far down they are is another question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
It'd be cheap and easy to remove the cables, install a set screw to plug the hole, and putty the spider gears. It would also give them just enough give to help save drivetrain parts. No doubt spools are coming but in the meantime, you can DIY. Hot Racing already produced an aluminum diff cup.
Yup, thats my mention of JB Weld. Fill it and it'll lock, but in a plastic cup you can have it slowly tear down. I'd just keep an eye on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
I'd like to see some nice steel spools.
STEEL spools would be ideal, plus free weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRunning View Post
If you want to lock the diff it's very simple. Just get some M6 shims (I used a thick plastic washer and a thin metal shim) and simply took up the space (with a touch of movement so nothing binds) next to the spline where it previously moved back and forth to lock and unlock the diff. It instantly locks the assembly. I put a dob of black silicone where the cable went so water won't get in.

If someone ever comes out with a locker I'll have some spares for my front but for the time being, my diff is effectively locked.
This is a great idea, until the full heavy lockers eventually come pretty permanent. I had not looked that close on that idea. Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-24-2017, 05:42 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Personally, I have zero interest in permanently locking my portal axles with spools! However, I would be a customer for a billet steel or aluminum diff assembly in a heartbeat. I have already seen where the ability to lock and unlock the diffs on the fly while crawling greatly improves maneuvering ability. It seems to me that the ability to lock and un lock the axles on the fly is an advantage. Rather than eliminating the feature seems to me a better solution would be to make the diff locks more robust with higher quality parts.

Last edited by Inspector86; 09-02-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:00 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I personally have no interest in replacement spools. Must be the selectable lockers have spoiled me in just the last few weeks. Funny how something you got by just fine without for years suddenly becomes a must have.

I would however be interested in a aluminum shift fork for the stock lockers. Am I alone in thinking that the dinky plastic selector fork will be the weak link once the wimpy stock servos are replaced with something decent?

Am I also alone in thinking that the diff weight isn't all that low because the portals raise it above wheel centerline?
meatmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:05 PM   #11
clm
Quarry Creeper

I would imagine that there will be eventual stripped spider gears in the diffs because of how the lockers work, this seems to be a weaker point then the shift fork. Time will tell however.
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:43 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
I personally have no interest in replacement spools. Must be the selectable lockers have spoiled me in just the last few weeks. Funny how something you got by just fine without for years suddenly becomes a must have.

I would however be interested in a aluminum shift fork for the stock lockers. Am I alone in thinking that the dinky plastic selector fork will be the weak link once the wimpy stock servos are replaced with something decent?

Am I also alone in thinking that the diff weight isn't all that low because the portals raise it above wheel centerline?
the shift fork for the axles need to flex from what I can tell.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:11 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Personally, I have zero interest in portal axle spools!
Again, for Comp use, where complexity is the chance of breaking. Cool features when they fail become bad features real fast. And it's not just the diff failure it could be servo failures, cable failure, housing failure, diff selection piece failure.

Quote:
I personally have no interest in replacement spools. I would however be interested in a aluminum shift fork for the stock lockers.
Maybe start another thread on those?

Quote:
You can add weight anywhere, even the portal covers add weight above the wheel centerline. Because of the portal getting weight under the wheel centerline becomes a very hard task. Even in the axle centerline is still a good place to add the weight.

Also with spool you eliminate 2 servos and a bracket, and its shocking how heavy that little piece is when unbolted. Plus 0 failures.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:13 PM   #14
RCC Addict

My buddy made a spacer to lock the axle. I have one to install in my front diff since the only one I want with the locking feature is the rear. Having the locking rear diff is something I have been playing with and coming from a 1:1 background the rear is the one that needs the selectable locker for a big gain in manouverability. It can really change how you approach a line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:23 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittohead View Post
My buddy made a spacer to lock the axle. I have one to install in my front diff since the only one I want with the locking feature is the rear. Having the locking rear diff is something I have been playing with and coming from a 1:1 background the rear is the one that needs the selectable locker for a big gain in manouverability. It can really change how you approach a line

Got around to installing the spacer to eliminate the locker. Works good

dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:13 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I just saw these on fleabay...
https://m.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LEM-Traxx...&ul_noapp=true

CR4NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:29 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Great cheap/free difflock mod, but I think somebody will make a nice hardened steel spool before long.
I knew I had seen one a while ago, and thought the pics above looked familiar. I did not realize that is Leading Edge Machining's eBay store.

Leading Edge Machining
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:15 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Nice stuff. I’m liking the 7075 diff cup
Old 11-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Sweet.

Sweet, should be a quality peice.

Sweet.

I'm on a sweetroll lol.
7075 cup in the rear and steel spool up front.

Definitely. I’m one of the ones that still uses the diff locked on/off at times but I remember people wanting lockers/spools for their trx’s so figured I would post up.
CR4NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:34 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Was talking to a couple friends about locking the diffs in my trx4 and had a question.

Would it make sense to lock the rear for good, but leave the front so it can be locked/unlocked?
Perkul8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Aftermarket Vendors - Lockers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Damn Lockers Keep Failing! Vendors Please Make Steel Ones! kawika Axial AX-10 Scorpion 20 01-27-2008 08:18 PM