Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Trx-4 Body weights.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2017, 08:46 PM   #1
clm
Quarry Creeper

Default Trx-4 Body weights.

I finally pulled out the hex drivers and the old somewhat accurate postal scale to measure the body to see how top heavy it is and these are the measurements I got. I omitted the weight of the spare as I have a non stock spare on mine but I added the weight of the screws used to hold things on in their respective sections.

front inner fenders 2.2oz
front fender flares 1.2oz

rear inner fenders 2.6oz
rear fender flares 1.3oz

Combined inner and outer fenders and flares front and rear 7.2oz

rack and snorkel 7.7oz

spare tire mount with jack and gas can only 2.4

1lb 3.5oz without inner and fenders and spare
11.9oz without inner fenders or rack
9.3oz without inner or outer fenders, cage, or spare tire rack.

Technically over half the weight of the body is below the windows. Remove the rack and you effectively take half a pound off the body high up, remove the rack and the fenders inner/outer and you have shaved well over a pound off the body..

But then it starts to look kinda funny

Edit: looking at the parts with them out it seems each inner wheel arch has two ports in the top, for wheel arch rock lights maybe? along with all the clips inside the body for wiring. Also noticed the light buchets front and rear each have a raised section that I assume is for wire clearance and when taken off there seems to be a recess for tiny square flat surface mount LEDs.... I would imagine there will be a light kit that will turn this thing into an extra from close encounters.
Attached Images

Last edited by clm; 08-24-2017 at 10:23 PM.
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2017, 09:40 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Trx-4 Body weights.

I'd be all for pairing this body down but I'm stuck on what to do with all of the holes left behind, even clear bodies have these holes punched already. I'm not much of a sticker guy, but that would be easy.

Thanks for the break down!
HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:04 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Trim the flares off and use the flange as a mini flare look possibly.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:36 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Ya know its funny all you guys are worried about the weight of the body and i just added a metal exocage with the plastic rack and a metal slider and metal tube fender flares to get more scale points and my truck crawels as good now as when i took it to the ne national which if i would have had full scale points i would have finished 2nd. ?
solo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I'm just trying to following Colin Chapmans wise words "Simplify then add lightness", okay is a TRX-4 forget the simplify part.

I'm concerned about weight because I've added enough weight with the addition of heavy metal bumpers (built to be heavy), heavier wheels, scale goodies, a winch & controller, BEC and extra battery, plus my only 3S battery is big and heavy (i'm on the lookout for some 3S shorties).

Yes it crawls pretty great to begin with but on the truly steep climbs it rolls onto its roof with ease. Sure we could be content with that but why not push it farther for the sake of fun outside as well as in the workshop, I like to tinker almost as much as I like driving.
Also consider that when you take off weight you can add it back in more appropriate spots down low without taking on more weight.

I find that the higher than normal weight doesn't effect its abilities on the rocks much if at all, but in the woods in the loose dirt it sure does hamper performance a bit.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 08-25-2017 at 04:59 PM.
HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote

Trx-4 Body weights. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 Body options Zippy1 Newbie General 2 08-22-2017 01:23 AM
TRX-4 plus Axial FC Body. AggressorBLUE Traxxas TRX-4 5 05-17-2017 08:45 AM