Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Body lean?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2017, 05:34 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Body lean?

I have noticed my body tends to lean toward the left side of the truck. I have played with shock adjustment and have even swapped shocks side to side but the lean still seems to be there. I have noticed a number of youtube videos of TRX4s also leaning to the left. This lean is one of the reasons I stripped the shocks cleaned, lubed and reassembled them with 10wt oil. I was wondering if the diff lock servos might be weighting that side of the chassis more. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed your truck leaning and have you figured out what is causing it.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2017, 05:40 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Body lean?

Page 25 of the manual says:
TRX-4’s ride height can be finely tuned by adjusting suspension sag via the preload adjusters on the shock bodies. Thread the preload adjuster down the shock body to raise TRX-4’s ride height, or thread the adjuster up the shock body to lower ride height. The front left preload adjuster will require more threading to compensate for the weight of the motor. If threading the preload adjusters to the maximum ride height position still allows more suspension sag than you prefer, stiffer springs should be installed.

Does that make any difference?
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:57 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Yea, I read that in the manual. The stock spring rates are .45 front and .54 rear on a 90mm shock. I'm considering switching to a 100mm shock to gain just a bit more travel but I don't know which companies make a quality shock and which to avoid yet. I guess I just need to keep playing with preload.

Last edited by Inspector86; 08-18-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:35 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I noticed this early on except mine was leaning to the other side, a bit odd now that I read this. I topped off the right front shock with 30WT and its been nice and even since. I've also added a heavy front bumper, winch and battery which might offset how much effect the motor position has.

I was checking the CG of the truck (side to side) and its fairly hard to do with all of the contours on the bottom but it does seem biased to the left a bit.

Along with playing with the pre-load you might also try playing around with different shock oil weights for each side of the truck.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:58 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I also noticed the lean and adjusted my ride height, make sure to do adjustments with battery in the truck especially really if you use a heavier 3s one.

I was trying to see how low I can set the chassis and found the springs became not affective and loose with an 1/8th inch or more of threads left on the shock body. doesn't really matter for anything because why run it like that just thought it was interesting

Last edited by Mountainsofbeer; 08-25-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Mountainsofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Body lean? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
maxstone 10 body lean on power outcastct General Crawlers 4 12-22-2013 05:09 PM
body/chassis lean during hard accelartion bbking9 Axial Wraith 7 01-06-2012 01:17 PM
body lean and how to fix it ???? codeman Newbie General 7 09-02-2009 12:57 PM