Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Anyone install big bore shocks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2017, 08:22 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Anyone install big bore shocks?

I would like just a tad bit more articulation and I'm thinking 100mm shocks specifically the Traxxas Big Bore PN 2662 shocks. I'm wondering if anyone has installed these shocks on a TRX4 and what you used for springs.

Last edited by Inspector86; 09-04-2017 at 11:09 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2017, 11:53 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Anyone install big bore shocks?

Codyboy has installed them
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:52 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I'd use the RCBros Eggressors myself. Can use the stock or SCX10 springs, have shock collars to adjust pre-load, and using SCX10 caps will fit the TRX4.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:35 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I have installed them, and they work great. the ones I bought are a super big bore which have been modified a little. They are only 80mm so shorter than you're talking about. But IMO to much flex can be as bad as to little! And I think 100mm are to long! A lot of guys on here are limiting the travel of their shocks for that reason. Also, I run with 1/2 droop to keep the COG a little lower. Like I said, it is all personal preference. Enjoy!!!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:47 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
I'd use the RCBros Eggressors myself. Can use the stock or SCX10 springs, have shock collars to adjust pre-load, and using SCX10 caps will fit the TRX4.
Another great choice of aftermarket shocks!
Ernie
Old 08-31-2017, 06:03 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
I have installed them, and they work great. the ones I bought are a super big bore which have been modified a little. They are only 80mm so shorter than you're talking about. But IMO to much flex can be as bad as to little! And I think 100mm are to long! A lot of guys on here are limiting the travel of their shocks for that reason. Also, I run with 1/2 droop to keep the COG a little lower. Like I said, it is all personal preference. Enjoy!!!
Ernie
For good or bad I already have the 2662 shocks. I went back and looked at your build, are those Losi Mini-T springs you're running? They look like a smaller diameter and don't cover the entire shock. Something around 10mm? It's kind of frustrating shopping for springs because most of the ones I have seen listed provide precious little technical information and I have searched and searched for RC spring with mixed results.

Last edited by Inspector86; 08-31-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:01 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
For good or bad I already have the 2662 shocks. I went back and looked at your build, are those Losi Mini-T springs you're running? They look like a smaller diameter and don't cover the entire shock. Something around 10mm? It's kind of frustrating shopping for springs because most of the ones I have seen listed provide precious little technical information and I have searched and searched for RC spring with mixed results.
Yes and no, the shock springs on my TRX-4 I ordered with the shocks, and they are the hard springs in this site. Dlux Fab They are just right for my truck. He also has the spring retainers you would need.
Erik does sell the colored Mini-T springs in his store also. Check out his site, he has great prices!
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 08-31-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:54 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Ernie
last night i refreshed then installed my 100mm shocks. I was fired up, the shocks felt great and how it performed the 2 previous days I thought a lil extra clearance with wider hubs would even out. I made them slightly softer than stock to minimize lost cog. I've done this on my 10.2's but mounted higher and they did great and I can for sure say there was no performance loss. I excitedly hit the trail today and that thing was a pig and wouldn't stay upright this didn't bother or surprise me. I dod it for fun knowing i dodnt need to change anything. I have had the most fun driving RC the past 3 days with this Traxxas. I just got it back from Traxxas 4 days ago and did some free performance gains by ditching the body and adding weight to the right places in hopes to hang with my buddies new 10.2 RTR that I thought was going to show me up after driving it the day before. That didn't happen and the TRX is pulling my nastiest lines that my fully-built 10.2 and bomber need a lucky bounce to make. It's creating new lines that a group of us with built bombers and 10.2s never thought to try because it wasn't worth seeing our truck cartwheel. After spending time in the nastiest stuff I can put it in 2nd unlock the difs and pop wheelies and do donuts and feel like I'm driving a lifted short course with the power turned down. Such a cool truck and for some reason I find myself giving it hell when crawling and driving like someone bet me five hundred bucks I couldn't break it. I'm fine with the stock shocks and yes too much articulation is not good and it's been awhile since it's looked cool. It's pretty simple just think of the physics and how alot of flex.......just kidding, only person I can explain it to is me. No words even needed because it's all images. Anyone else feel this truck is a little different when it comes to what foam stiffness it likes and also does better with less shock movement? Something's different compared to what I'm used to, scx/10.2

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
geauxktm, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:48 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxktm, View Post
last night i refreshed then installed my 100mm shocks. I was fired up, the shocks felt great and how it performed the 2 previous days I thought a lil extra clearance with wider hubs would even out. I made them slightly softer than stock to minimize lost cog. I've done this on my 10.2's but mounted higher and they did great and I can for sure say there was no performance loss. I excitedly hit the trail today and that thing was a pig and wouldn't stay upright this didn't bother or surprise me. I dod it for fun knowing i dodnt need to change anything. I have had the most fun driving RC the past 3 days with this Traxxas. I just got it back from Traxxas 4 days ago and did some free performance gains by ditching the body and adding weight to the right places in hopes to hang with my buddies new 10.2 RTR that I thought was going to show me up after driving it the day before. That didn't happen and the TRX is pulling my nastiest lines that my fully-built 10.2 and bomber need a lucky bounce to make. It's creating new lines that a group of us with built bombers and 10.2s never thought to try because it wasn't worth seeing our truck cartwheel. After spending time in the nastiest stuff I can put it in 2nd unlock the difs and pop wheelies and do donuts and feel like I'm driving a lifted short course with the power turned down. Such a cool truck and for some reason I find myself giving it hell when crawling and driving like someone bet me five hundred bucks I couldn't break it. I'm fine with the stock shocks and yes too much articulation is not good and it's been awhile since it's looked cool. It's pretty simple just think of the physics and how alot of flex.......just kidding, only person I can explain it to is me. No words even needed because it's all images. Anyone else feel this truck is a little different when it comes to what foam stiffness it likes and also does better with less shock movement? Something's different compared to what I'm used to, scx/10.2

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sounds like you have your truck dialed in pretty good. Like I said, limiting flex with shorter shocks is something that fits my driving style. All of my rigs are set up this way and it works for me.
Personal preference.
Ernie
Old 09-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I really did not have any problem with the stock shocks, I took them apart and freed up the o-rings a bit then refilled them with 10wt oil. I guess I will just hold off installing the new shocks for now.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:47 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
I really did not have any problem with the stock shocks, I took them apart and freed up the o-rings a bit then refilled them with 10wt oil. I guess I will just hold off installing the new shocks for now.
10 weight ?????? Wow that's low
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:12 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
10 weight ?????? Wow that's low
10wt works awesome.

Anyone install big bore shocks? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Value Losi Shocks VS Traxxas Big Bore Shocks BMFOTP General Crawlers 18 04-13-2009 10:23 AM