Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX-4 motor options?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2017, 02:07 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default TRX-4 motor options?

I've been out and running the TRX a bit. I enjoy it quite a bit. I don't feel like the stock 550 size motor leaves a ton to be desired but I would really like to change out to a brushless system. What are you running? Holmes always has my attention for quality
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2017, 02:15 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: TRX-4 motor options?

Your options are...

Holmes Puller Pro
Puller Pro Series - Brushless Motors - Motors

Tekin ROC 412 HD
ROC412 HD

Castle
Rock Crawler

You'll get different people saying any of those are all the best choice. I don't think you can really go too far wrong with any of them. I run Holmes Puller Pros in everything but that's mostly out of habit and the other two options from Tekin and Castle being relatively new options on the market. I plan to try both the Tekin and the Castle motors in the future. I'm actually looking for a new motor for my TRX4 as well but until then I robbed a Puller Pro out of a shelf queen that doesn't see any action.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:20 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgerstandtx View Post
I've been out and running the TRX a bit. I enjoy it quite a bit. I don't feel like the stock 550 size motor leaves a ton to be desired but I would really like to change out to a brushless system. What are you running? Holmes always has my attention for quality
I'm running a Holmes puller 2700 stubby, with a 9 tooth. Very nice slow crawler start up and more than enough speed in high gear.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:46 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Do you guys that put the high end brushless systems in still use the trucks in water? I know brushless would give a nice top end an all but one of the most fun things with the TRX4 is taking it for a dip in a creek. It's great fun and with the cheap stock motor you have zero qualms doing it.

I know the high end brushless systems are waterproof but it's got to be bad for the motors long term as I've read they rust internally due to the different windings and different bearing types. I not sure I'd be game personally with the money one of those systems costs (6.5 times the price of the HW WP 80 and 550 Titan). The good brushless motors are also sealed so it's not easy to clean them out like a brushed motor after a dip. I just unplug my Titan, take out 3 screws, spray contact cleaner through it and it's back in the truck inside 10 minutes.

I've probably spent 2 solid hours in water with my TRX4 with the electronics often totally submerged.

How have the brushless systems gone for longevity when you've regularly been in water?
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:38 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRunning View Post
Do you guys that put the high end brushless systems in still use the trucks in water? I know brushless would give a nice top end an all but one of the most fun things with the TRX4 is taking it for a dip in a creek. It's great fun and with the cheap stock motor you have zero qualms doing it.

I know the high end brushless systems are waterproof but it's got to be bad for the motors long term as I've read they rust internally due to the different windings and different bearing types. I not sure I'd be game personally with the money one of those systems costs (6.5 times the price of the HW WP 80 and 550 Titan). The good brushless motors are also sealed so it's not easy to clean them out like a brushed motor after a dip. I just unplug my Titan, take out 3 screws, spray contact cleaner through it and it's back in the truck inside 10 minutes.

I've probably spent 2 solid hours in water with my TRX4 with the electronics often totally submerged.

How have the brushless systems gone for longevity when you've regularly been in water?
I don't intentionally submerge my truck, so I can't help you there.
If I want to play in water I get out my boat.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:29 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I'll be adding a jet boat soon so my TRX4 can tow it down to a creek for some extra fun. I've had zero issues with my three brushed trucks and water.

You're missing out on half the fun! Lol
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:15 AM   #7
RCC Addict

My trex doesn't saw water yet, but it will sooner or later, cause of the fun.
But i have submerged my little Monster many times and so far no issues with the cc system. Time will tell.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:39 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRunning View Post
I know the high end brushless systems are waterproof but it's got to be bad for the motors long term as I've read they rust internally due to the different windings and different bearing types.
A sensorless brushless motor is just as waterproof as a brushed motor, they have very little problems with water as long as you keep the bearings clean. The sensor board is the only part on a sensored motor that requires extra attention and that is as simple as some conformal coating. Holmes has recommended brushless over brushed for trucks that see a lot of water because the water drastically accelerates brush wear.

I have Holmes, Tekin, and Castle motors that have been in the water several times will no ill effects.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:13 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I just put leads on a HH 10t 550 motor. Not sure how it will go. My guess is pretty good.
Levesque87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:36 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levesque87 View Post
I just put leads on a HH 10t 550 motor. Not sure how it will go. My guess is pretty good.
any word on this? I'm thinking about something similar...
Turtlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:28 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I play submarine with my brushless Holmes 2200 Stubby motors all the time. They do just fine and haven't suffered any casualties yet. I'm been beating the snot out of 2 of them for over a year now with little to no servicing other than rinsing them off with clean water when I get home. My cleaning procedure is... body off, hose on, walk away.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX-4 motor options? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 Body options Zippy1 Newbie General 2 08-22-2017 01:23 AM
TRX-4 with 30T motor Mountainsofbeer Scale Videos! 1 08-11-2017 08:13 PM
TRX 21 Turn motor in SCX Slashrcgeo Axial SCX-10 7 07-09-2017 11:40 PM
Motor options........well maybe!!!! Stealthracing Redcat Crawlers 5 04-20-2010 08:40 PM