Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Adding the lights and rock lights to a TRX-4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2017, 01:26 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Adding the lights and rock lights to a TRX-4

I've been reading up on the TRX-4, and see a lot of things that others are doing with this particular rc. But I've not heard much or seen anyone post up on adding lights to this truck or it's rock lights. My question is basically if you add the body language ghts and rock lights to the truck, and are still running the stock electronics. What kind of run times can or could a person to expect from running a 2s lipo of 5400mah 65c rating. Or a 3s lipo of 5000mah 30c rating. I've only changed the wheels and tires for a weighted wheels set, and softer tires. The performance is really good considering that I added weight to it. But it really helped in areas where I live and do my trailing runs.

So if anyone else has added the full lighting options to the truck, I'd love to see and hear what you are getting run time wise and see if there is anything else that I can do to gain better performance. I appreciate any helpful advice on this subject. Thanks in advance.
MikeMontgomery1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2017, 01:35 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Adding the lights and rock lights to a TRX-4

i'm in the Progress to install full lightning. just waiting on parts.
but you can calculate the draw. an single led draws normally 20mA, 8 rocklights + 6 led normal lights = 14 led * 20mA = 280 mA.

Gesendet von meinem T1-A21L mit Tapatalk
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:04 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I have to admit that I don't get great run times from my TRX4. I basically consume a 3300 3S lipo where the SCX10.1 with the exact same electronics only uses a 2200 3S battery (it's much faster too). I have an external 800ma 3S lipo to power my lights and use about 300ma in a couple of hours I guess. It's not much but I wouldn't want less runtime on my truck as I'd be adding even larger and heavier batteries to compensate (especially when I rig up my rock lights).
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:59 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I was able to set down this afternoon, and get some LEDs installed into my TRX4. I am sticking with the Land Rover Defender D110 series body. I am a fan of these vehicles in all forms. I installed the six vehicle lights front and rear, and added in the wheel wells the two LEDs per well area. And then decided to go ahead and add in a six inch LED light bar to the top of the front window area. I added in a switch so that I can turn the lights on or leave them off depending on the lighting of the actual trail environment at that time. Figured it might be a way to save a tiny bit of Lipo power for the driving on the trail.

Now I know folks would like to see what it looks like or even how I did the installation of the switch and LEDs themselves. Well I have to admit I haven't gotten the whole idea on here to have to pay for a star to be able to post up pictures, or running videos. Sorry but I just don't see the need to spend even more money on that deal. I spend entirely too much already on actually doing up my rc vehicles and maintaining my actual daily living.

Anyway, the Defenders lights came out really nice, and the color tones of each light is actually very pleasant to the eyes. Just like a 1:1 vechiles lights, the system has bright clear headlamps, and amber turn indicators and a duller or softer always on day runner light. The rear lampsare similar but have the large braking lamp, and top smaller always on red lamp but dimmer as it isn't needing to be as bright as the Brakes. Then of course a amber marker or turn indicator again on the lower outer area. I then chose to go with a regular white LED setup for the rock Lighting in each wheel well. which gives it the look of real rock lights on a 1:1. No where as violently bright as a light bar. But perfect for the underside of the vehicle.

If I could load up the pictures of it all lit up I surely would. So I do apologize to those that find it a pain.
MikeMontgomery1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:07 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

You just need an external free image host and can post pictures. It's also fine to post YouTube vids.
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:59 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Make a Tumbler account put pics there and then link here to those
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:15 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Buy a star here, upload your pictures to an album on this site and link to them from there. Easy peasy.
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote

Adding the lights and rock lights to a TRX-4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding lights to the wrath...? johncraddock445 Axial Wraith 8 10-17-2014 07:07 AM
Park Lights, Head Lights switch heyok Vendors Electronics 0 07-02-2012 10:56 AM
Adding Lights To Wraith - Questions sniper101 Electronics 3 02-25-2012 12:42 PM