Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Jato Assembles a TRX-4 Sport Unassembled Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2019, 04:56 PM   #1

Default Jato Assembles a TRX-4 Sport Unassembled Kit

Traxxas is killing it! Can a brother get an Amen from the congregation?!

I love my Bronco, despite the fact that it's a Ford, but ever since I got it I wanted another TRX-4 to build as a stripped down performance model with a smaller body.

Then Traxxas came the Sport RTR. Sweet! That's what I want to build so I'll get one of those. Hold up! Wait a second. Let me... Sorry I saw bright lights and I got distracted. Then came the TRX-4 Sport Unassembled Kit. OMG! A second kit from Traxxas!!! It's what I want without the electronics that I don't! When can I preorder?! But then...

Traxxas showed the "OMG so awesome!!!!!!!!1" Chevy Blazer body. Being born with The Heartbeat of America in my blood I love my Chevys. But, alas, I already have big bodied, scale TRX-4 so I'm getting the Sport Kit despite the temptation. I pre-ordered it from RPP today as soon as I got the stock notification email.

My hope is to build a TRX-4 that smokes my other rigs, including my brass out the ass Ascender and stock SCX10 II.

I'm starting with a Holmes 1800kv Revolver. I've always wanted to try one of those noise makers. The ESC will be a Mamba X so I can go sensored in the future and because I love the Auxiliary Wire so much. The Traxxas transmitter and Bluetooth Link are very tempting just because of the new Inclination meters on the Link app. Such an awesome test and tuning tool!

I'm not sure about the servo. I run my servos on 6.0V so I don't need an external BEC. The Promodeler 470 is kinda weak on 6.0V with "only" 350 oz-in. I could go to my default Savox 1231, but I'm kinda sick of the Savox buzz. Thoughts?

Not mines, but a look what's to come.

Mine:

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 03-07-2019 at 05:01 PM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2019, 05:04 PM   #2
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: Jato Assembles a TRX-4 Sport Unassembled Kit

AMEN!

and I’m not even religious but I’ll throw that one out there.

Why don’t you run 8.0v off the mamba x to the servo and just use a rx that can handle the juice? I think most spektrums go up to 9.0v. Flysky has a few that can do 8.4v. No micro servos here to baby.

I run the 1800kv revolver with a mamba x in my 10.2 and love it. The torque is much bigger than the 2280 slate I have in the trx4. Brake on the revolver is pretty ridiculous too. I’m obviously a fan haha.

The only thing that sucks about the revolver is the motor leads are so short. In a trx4 with the motor forward you may need to add some length to those to reach your esc.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:09 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I got to say, Im shocked you didnt get the chevy. Ive seen your posts for years saying chevy chevy chevy...lol. Cool kit and great electronics choice!

And since you got the kit. I assume you have extra money to buy the chevy body for your bronco now too? eh? = )

I say stick with the savox or DS3218 16 dollar servo.

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 03-07-2019 at 05:11 PM.
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:09 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

What Mamba X ESC, the micro or regular one? If its the regular one it has a decent BEC that can do up to 8v so that may give you more options for servos.

Savox does have some noisy old servos for sure, good but noisy though their new brushless stuff is really quiet (I've only heard the 2290 though). I do like Promodelers 470 on 1.9 rigs and at 8 volts you should see between 440 and 470 which should be good enough.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Nice man! I'll be building one soon. How about you be the first one to take that SPT Servo plunge and let us know how it is? ;)
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
AMEN!

and I’m not even religious but I’ll throw that one out there.

Why don’t you run 8.0v off the mamba x to the servo and just use a rx that can handle the juice? I think most spektrums go up to 9.0v. Flysky has a few that can do 8.4v. No micro servos here to baby.

I run the 1800kv revolver with a mamba x in my 10.2 and love it. The torque is much bigger than the 2280 slate I have in the trx4. Brake on the revolver is pretty ridiculous too. I’m obviously a fan haha.

The only thing that sucks about the revolver is the motor leads are so short. In a trx4 with the motor forward you may need to add some length to those to reach your esc.
I'm not religious either! Not at all.

Which FlySky receivers can handle all that voltage? I have the FlySky GT-5.

Good to hear you like the motor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
I got to say, Im shocked you didnt get the chevy. Ive seen your posts for years saying chevy chevy chevy...lol. Cool kit and great electronics choice!

And since you got the kit. I assume you have extra money to buy the chevy body for your bronco now too? eh? = )

I say stick with the savox or DS3218 16 dollar servo.
Thanks! Yes, that's the plant - to eventually buy the Blazer for my Bronco. BTW I currently drive a Kia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
What Mamba X ESC, the micro or regular one? If its the regular one it has a decent BEC that can do up to 8v so that may give you more options for servos.

Savox does have some noisy old servos for sure, good but noisy though their new brushless stuff is really quiet (I've only heard the 2290 though). I do like Promodelers 470 on 1.9 rigs and at 8 volts you should see between 440 and 470 which should be good enough.
The Mamba X. I don't think the Micro could swing the TRX-4 with a Revolver on 2S and 3S, but I could be wrong. Let me get Mr. Holmes's opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Nice man! I'll be building one soon. How about you be the first one to take that SPT Servo plunge and let us know how it is? ;)
SPT yeah you know me? What's an SPT servo?
Old 03-07-2019, 05:26 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I just got the mamba micro X. I could have sworn I saw 5.5V or 8V in the settings somewhere. But its so small and has a 2lb car weight limit. Id get the full size one for sure.
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:32 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Pretty sure you’ll love the 1800kv Revolver / Mamba-X combo. It just such a solid set up and i think perfect for the direction you’re headed with this rig. I know a lot of people don’t care for the noises, but the sounds eminating from this set up kinda make me laugh. It’s like Peeper Frogs and a Spaceship had a love-child!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:37 PM   #9
Gold Star Baby!

Here you go Jato...

https://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gr3f.html They updated the gr3f at some point to go up to 8.4v.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:41 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Which FlySky receivers can handle all that voltage? I have the FlySky GT-5.

Ive got the flysky gt5 n im runnin 7.4v thru it just fine. My rx is the gyro one that came with the radio.

Cant wait to see wat u have in store for tge sport kit. Im lookin to get one too

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:45 PM   #11
Go Buckeyes!

AMEN! And congrats Jato!

King Traxxas killed it with this new Sport Kit. It is a hell of a deal for what you get.

I've been kicking myself ever since I heard Traxxas was coming out with the Sport Kit. I bought the first Kit last year and tore out the diff servos and threw in diff lockers to make it like the Sport. I may end up getting the Sport Kit also though.

I have a couple Savox servos in my other rigs. The noise really gets on my nerves. So here is something to think about. I just recently purchased a 3Brothers G13 servo and I really like it. It has torque for days and is quiet. It has 2 leads coming off of it. One plugs into the receiver and one goes directly to the battery. No BEC needed. I have had good luck with it so far with no complaints. Just another servo option.

Can't wait to see how this build turns out!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:46 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Yeah the micro probably isnt the best fit here though there is 2 versions of the Mamba micro X, the 1/18 version is good for up to 2.25 lbs while the crawler version is good up to 8lbs.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:53 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Mine came in today too!
cant wait to see which direction you go with it.
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:30 PM   #14

Thanks for the kind words and the encouragement!

I was perusing the Traxxas website and the news page for this kit says it comes with the Canyon Trail tires in S1 compound. The tires that came with my Bronco are the standard compound and they perform well for RTR tires so I'm anxious to see how these work. Apparently the Blazer is also getting them so there's another reason for the price increase over the Bronco.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:49 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I believe I'm gonna go your route Jato, I'm gonna get the kit and mount my 67 Chevy truck body on that and in a few months pick up the Blazer body for my Bronco
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:32 PM   #16
Gold Star Baby!

They just showed up on Amain too. Order is in

(thought I posted this in the other sport thread, not trying to hijack my bad)

Last edited by Topher Builds; 03-07-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Here you go Jato...

https://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gr3f.html They updated the gr3f at some point to go up to 8.4v.
Thanks! I don't think that receiver will work with the GT-5. In FlySky's infinite wisdom the FS-BS6 reciver is the only one that seems to bind with this transmitter. I seriously hope a firmware update fixes that! But you gave me an idea. I looked up the voltage for the FS-BS6 and the manual for the GT-5 says "Power input" is 4.0 to 8.4V DC so maybe I'll be fine running all of the power from a 2S and 3S into the receiver.

Maybe I'll give the ProModeler 470 a try. In reality it should be plenty for a TRX-4 even if I run it on 6.0V at 355 oz-in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
AMEN! And congrats Jato!

King Traxxas killed it with this new Sport Kit. It is a hell of a deal for what you get.

I've been kicking myself ever since I heard Traxxas was coming out with the Sport Kit. I bought the first Kit last year and tore out the diff servos and threw in diff lockers to make it like the Sport. I may end up getting the Sport Kit also though.

I have a couple Savox servos in my other rigs. The noise really gets on my nerves. So here is something to think about. I just recently purchased a 3Brothers G13 servo and I really like it. It has torque for days and is quiet. It has 2 leads coming off of it. One plugs into the receiver and one goes directly to the battery. No BEC needed. I have had good luck with it so far with no complaints. Just another servo option.

Can't wait to see how this build turns out!
Thank you! I like the option of having one TRX-4 with unlocking diffs. They are so fun and you can use them to get a dig-like effect. I'm tempted to put remote locking diffs in my Sport! I'm going to build it with lockers to start though.

The 3Bros servo is just a Holmes v1 clone as confirmed by John Holmes himself so I'm going to pass on that one even though a lot of people seem to like it.

Quote:
They just showed up on Amain too. Order is in

(thought I posted this in the other sport thread, not trying to hijack my bad)
No worries! I don't mind. The only thing I hate is when people quote posts with multiple photos in them! Why?!
Old 03-08-2019, 07:15 AM   #18
RCC Addict

The GT5 uses afhds 2A standard i don't think a firmware update will fix this.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 XL mit Tapatalk
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:16 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I could go to my default Savox 1231, but I'm kinda sick of the Savox buzz. Thoughts?
Don't worry, the noise of the Revolver will more than drown out any Savox noise.

Congrats on the Sport kit, I have been seriously considering one but there is already too many unbuilt things in my shop. That means I'll definitely end up buying one.

My servo of choice these days is the Holmes SHV500, being able to plug directly into a 3S battery is super convenient and takes away all voltage considerations of other electronics. I can see why 3Bros copied that design.

It's hard to go wrong with the Promodler but the brushless Savox are much better on noise than the standard versions without going all the way to the 2290. The 2270 and 2230 are brushless with a ton of torque for about $100. I have a few Xpert servos that I really like as well (WR-7701 and a new AS-8601 with 530 oz of torque that really needs to find a home).
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
The GT5 uses afhds 2A standard i don't think a firmware update will fix this.
I was under the impression that some of the other FlySky radios used 2A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Don't worry, the noise of the Revolver will more than drown out any Savox noise.

Congrats on the Sport kit, I have been seriously considering one but there is already too many unbuilt things in my shop. That means I'll definitely end up buying one.

My servo of choice these days is the Holmes SHV500, being able to plug directly into a 3S battery is super convenient and takes away all voltage considerations of other electronics. I can see why 3Bros copied that design.

It's hard to go wrong with the Promodler but the brushless Savox are much better on noise than the standard versions without going all the way to the 2290. The 2270 and 2230 are brushless with a ton of torque for about $100. I have a few Xpert servos that I really like as well (WR-7701 and a new AS-8601 with 530 oz of torque that really needs to find a home).
Thanks!

The noise, itself, isn't really what drives me crazy. It's that you can't tell if the servo is really in a bad bind and going to burn up or if it's just a typical Savox crying for no reason. I didn't know the brushless versions were quieter. I think somebody above you mentioned it as well. Maybe I should have tried one of those this time, but I ended up ordering the ProModeler 470. Shipping was $11 and that, alone, almost made me cancel the order. But, alas, I went through with it. It'll be my first time trying a ProModeler. I've been wanting to try one for a long time so now is as good a time as any. I just hope they aren't noisy bastards like Savox. The 470 should have plenty of torque, even on 2S, for 1.9 tars.

Tags
kit, sport, traxxas, trx-4, trx4

Jato Assembles a TRX-4 Sport Unassembled Kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 Sport Assembly Kit! nedmo General Scale Talk 22 03-02-2019 06:52 AM
TRX-4 sport/Bronco kit BrianP Traxxas TRX-4 19 10-27-2018 07:31 AM
Traxxas trx 4 sport vs redcat gen 7 sport part 2! shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 08-03-2018 06:31 AM
Traxxas trx 4 sport vs redcat gen 7 sport! shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 07-23-2018 07:19 AM