Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Anyone else hate the driveshafts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2017, 04:25 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: The New MIPs are great

I love getting packages in the mail, especially when they arrive sooner than expected. MIP drive shafts and HR heavy diff cover showed up last night.

The New MIP drive shafts are perfect, go together in about 10 minutes, come with a few spare parts and have no friction. They also add that additional weight down low.
While I haven't seen anyone break a Traxxas shaft yet, the MIPs are a great upgrade.
chipgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2017, 08:03 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Anyone else hate the driveshafts?

The stock shafts are too tight a fit on the splines. My rear barely moves, but the front has freed up a bit after about fifteen hours of use. I guess I don't hate them, but I certainly don't like them either.

What's the deal with MIP using longer than needed outputs on everything lately? It seems that the MIP output yokes have a longer distance from the retaining through pin to the centerline of the "U-joint". Is that an illusion? I don't like that it creates a little extra operating angle and increases the leverage on the pinion bearings.

Is there clearance on the trans for the older style, regular AX-10 outputs that take a 4mm thread? It looks like these new TRX4 versions use 3mm?
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:18 AM   #23
RCC Addict

How do you know the outputs are longer than necessary? Have you fitted the driveshafts to your truck? You can't tell from a single picture whether there's stuff that the outputs need to clear on the side the camera can't see.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #24
RCC Addict

next drive shaft option
for Traxxas TRX-4 #GAX0060, ,(GAX0060) by GRC Heavy Duty Front Rear Center Shaft Set Black
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:04 AM   #25
Pebble Pounder

For what it's worth, I had my truck out this weekend with the MIPs, and report things went fine. Despite the incredibly dusty conditions (see picture thread ), the shafts continue to move freely, and have no real play or slack to speak of.
AggressorBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:26 PM   #26
RCC Addict

I would be extremely surprised if MIP X-CVDs started binding. I've had the same pair of MIP X-CVDs installed on my Wraith for years; I've driven them through mud and water many times, intentionally never washing them, just rinsing them off and re-oiling them when they start to squeak. (part of my chosen aesthetic for my Wraith is "dirty, oily, scratched, beat-up, and rusty".) They still work perfectly. It's my own personal long-term torture-test for MIP X-CVDs.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:26 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

I've had great success with using WD-40 silicone... the silicone is water resistant, and the wd is a great cleaner..
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:07 PM   #28
RCC Addict

WD40 silicone is *just* silicone, nothing else. WD40 is just a brand-name now, it doesn't have anything to do with the actual formulation of the spray unless you buy the original petroleum-based water repellent spray.

Anyway, silicone is not optimal for metal-on-metal lubrication. It's best used for plastic-on-plastic or metal-on-plastic. It's better than nothing for metal-on-metal, but petroleum oil or grease is still far superior for metal-on-metal.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:28 PM   #29
RCC Addict

I installed the MIP driveshafts on my TRX-4 yesterday. I took before-and-after pictures to show the difference in driveshaft angle caused by the "unnecessarily long" endpieces.

Before:

After:

Yes, there is a difference, but it's so small that it's certainly insignificant, especially if you lubricate the joints like you're supposed to. After assembling and installing the driveshafts, it's obvious that the reason those endpieces are "unnecessarily long" is so MIP could use 4 of the same endpiece. Otherwise they would've had to make a special-size one just for the front transfer-case output, which would've increased the cost of the driveshaft kit.

If this style of center driveshaft catches on, maybe MIP will make them for other vehicles as well, and then we will have more sizes of endpieces we can mix-and-match to our hearts' content.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 10-06-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:36 PM   #30

Hello,

I'm installing the MIP's on a brand new / never ran TRX4. The instructions state that there shouldn't be a gap inside of the hub / end yoke. Is this acceptable / normal?

Last edited by DrVest; 10-06-2017 at 10:14 PM.
DrVest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:25 AM   #31
RCC Addict

If the driveshaft is installed as far onto the transfer-case output as it can be, then it's fine.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:41 AM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
If you mean this with the grinding on the trans

than mine infected too, i think that it's caused by the tide space between drive shaft and trans and dirt

also my inner spline was nearly unmovable, so drive shafts on the list.
I have this same grinding as well.
subspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:03 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVest View Post
Hello,

I'm installing the MIP's on a brand new / never ran TRX4. The instructions state that there shouldn't be a gap inside of the hub / end yoke. Is this acceptable / normal?

I think it's more important on the axle side.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:31 PM   #34
RCC Addict

do they have more clearence between shaft and trans or is it the same. my concern would be that i would have same prob with grinding as with stock if some debris finds it's way.

Gesendet von meinem T1-A21L mit Tapatalk
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:51 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Sand can get stuck in the narrow space between the output yoke and the underside of the transmission, but steel will resist abrasion much better than plastic.

If you want to get fancy, you could glue a small piece of felt into the space between the output yoke and the transmission, so sand can't get in. It will still catch microscopic dust, though.

Anyone else hate the driveshafts? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I hate it when... Exocaged Chit Chat 7 08-06-2014 06:20 PM
I hate Krawler Freak Chit Chat 1 02-24-2007 04:56 AM
i hate liquid Chit Chat 42 03-15-2006 06:48 PM