Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: bilinvic's TRX4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2017, 08:49 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: bilinvic's TRX4

Last night I spent quite a bit of time trying to get the stock TRX4 running boards / rock sliders to work with the P-L '66 C10 body and with perseverance, I was able to accomplish this goal!

I had to raise the running boards height a fair bit. I sandwiched a Traxxas hollow ball (the type with a wider flare on one side)between the outer mounting holes and floor boards. I left the inner side with a gap and used longer screws and washers. This allowed me to adjust the angle of the running boards by tilting them up or down using the inner screws.

I had to trim the underside of the body a bit (the rear of the cab and front of the bed) to provide enough clearance. This trimming cannot be seen unless the body is removed.

I'm going to add "Duck tape" to the lower edges of the body so that the section of the body that sits in the running board groove is a tighter fit and therefore has less of a chance of being unseated when the going gets rough!

After a quick test session on my backyard rocks, I am extremely happy with the MAJOR improvement in the TRX4's crawling performance without that 2lb lump of a stock body!

TRX4_34

TRX4_35

TRX4_37

TRX4_36
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2017, 09:08 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

One more piece to the puzzle for this body. The rear of the bed isn't supported by anything rearward of the bed body posts and sits about an inch and a half above the frame. In a roll-over, the potential for damage (tearing / ripping) to the body is likely very high. I used some spare Axial body posts and screwed them to the rear bumper mount/frame cross-member. I cut the nubs off that would normally protrude thru the body, but I left enough for half a rubber grommet to fit over; I glued these to the posts with Shoe Goo. I also added a piece of duct tape to the location where the grommets would contact the underside of the bed floor so that the paint would not rub off over time.

When I get some testing time in, I will be able to determine whether or not these posts/supports will stay upright or not. If they do tend to swing away from vertical, I will use new body posts that do protrude thru the body. It's only in the bed, so it's not a big deal to me if there's an extra two holes.

Now the body is 100% supported and should take a fair amount of abuse from all sides. It's almost time to get 'er all scratched up.

TRX4_39

TRX4_38
Old 09-27-2017, 09:23 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Love the body Bill! Truck is killer as all your builds. I'm so pleased with my trx4, it's now become my go to source for fun... I never used the stock body, so when I would read some comments about the trx4 not crawling well, I'd scratch my head..

If you didn't already grab a "traxxas link". And reverse channel 5... this allows the locker dip switch to act proper... rear position is rear locker, middle is full locked, and forward is front locker.
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:50 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

I playing around with the reversed channel 5 now. I guess the rig cannot run with open front and rear diffs in this mode eh?
Old 09-27-2017, 10:33 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
I playing around with the reversed channel 5 now. I guess the rig cannot run with open front and rear diffs in this mode eh?
It can not unfortunately... I have mine setup on 1.9 boggers with proline 2 stage foams (super flexy sidewall). I can leave the rear locked and hand the controller to my son and he has a blast on our monster truck course sliding it around. It is more fun to drive rear locked IMO vs fully open. from a functionally standpoint rear locker is more "usable", easier on the steering gear/ dont have to run hydro assist All joking aside, I don't miss open front and rear diffs as much as I thought. Only time I miss it now is after being in water. It was really nice being able to put the truck on its side and holding it full throttle to drain the tires of water without getting soaked.

Last edited by Lanky; 09-27-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:09 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

The new rear bumper...a SSD TRX4 front bumper! I swear these bumpers were made for this '66 C10 body.

Also received SSD's new TRX4 12mm hexes. Now my wheels are fully supported and are not going to wiggle.

SSD is on top of their game these days...well done lads.

TRX4_43

TRX4_44

TRX4_42

TRX4_41

TRX4_40
Old 09-29-2017, 06:55 PM   #47
RCC Addict

Very nice combo! The bumpers fit that body nicely.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 02:00 PM   #48
SSD
RCC Addict

Thanks Bill, we got more coming.

You bought the wrong portal weights ;)
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:16 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
Thanks Bill, we got more coming.

You bought the wrong portal weights ;)
I always love seeing your new products SSD. I know, I was pissed when I saw your portal weights AFTER I bought mine.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:37 PM   #50
RCC Addict

Quote:
I always love seeing your new products SSD. I know, I was pissed when I saw your portal weights AFTER I bought mine.
me too but weight is on the max now waiting for an ssd drive shaft option

Last edited by magic_yeti; 10-01-2017 at 12:20 PM.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:42 AM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Last night I spent quite a bit of time trying to get the stock TRX4 running boards / rock sliders to work with the P-L '66 C10 body and with perseverance, I was able to accomplish this goal!

I had to raise the running boards height a fair bit. I sandwiched a Traxxas hollow ball (the type with a wider flare on one side)between the outer mounting holes and floor boards. I left the inner side with a gap and used longer screws and washers. This allowed me to adjust the angle of the running boards by tilting them up or down using the inner screws.

I had to trim the underside of the body a bit (the rear of the cab and front of the bed) to provide enough clearance. This trimming cannot be seen unless the body is removed.

I'm going to add "Duck tape" to the lower edges of the body so that the section of the body that sits in the running board groove is a tighter fit and therefore has less of a chance of being unseated when the going gets rough!

After a quick test session on my backyard rocks, I am extremely happy with the MAJOR improvement in the TRX4's crawling performance without that 2lb lump of a stock body!

TRX4_34

TRX4_35

TRX4_37

TRX4_36

Can you snap a few pics of your slider mounting. I can’t envision exactly how you did this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dpcardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:09 PM   #52
RCC Addict

Looks great Bil! How's is drive compared to your SCX10 II? At one point I believe you said that was the best yet.

Cheers,

Todd
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:29 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

If I get pics there's really nothing to see, the spacer is under the slider mounts. It mounts exactly the same as stock, just sits higher with the spacers.

I don't think that was me saying that Tossedman, I haven't driven it yet in this latest configuration....it was far from the best compared to my 10.2 rig! I'm going out tomorrow on big crawling run so I will have more info coming on my TRX4 experiences! My son is driving my SR5 10.2 rig so their will be some good comparisons out on the rocks.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:13 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Took the TRX4 out for a 4 hour crawl session with a bunch of guys today...there were at least 12 rigs out and four of them were TRX4s. Right from the get-go, I knew that my TRX4 was going to be very strong on the technical crawls since all the changes. The difference from stock to it's current configuration is like having two different trucks; the improvement is 100 times better and I didn't feel like chucking the TRX4 over a cliff!!!

While there is some trailing, it's only for short distances between technical crawling sections.

The balance is drastically improved now. I have some brass ballast on the front frame but I want this gone, it's too high IMHO. My friend Mike (Exile RC) machined some brass front lower front links for me this morning prior to meeting up. I got them mounted prior to hitting the rocks. I now have brass front outer portal covers, brass SLW hub weights and the new brass links. I'm going to get some brass inner portal covers and this will replace the brass ballast I have on the front frame. I won't be getting brass C-Hubs because this section of the front axle is "out there" and regularly rubs the rocks and with brass, that would be like throwing out an anchor. I have a spare set of plastic C-Hubs in my tool bag if they ever fail.

The SSD bumpers took some serious abuse today and other than being scratched, they are perfect. The approach and departure angles are essential a non-issue now.

There were a few instances today where the use of the locking axles was helpful in conquering a line; it was extremely satisfying using diff lock on the fly (mostly just unlocking the rear) in the midst of a highly technical crawl. It changes the dynamics of crawling vs. having full time 4-wheel drive on every other rig I own; it's nice to change things up and adds a different dimension to crawling.

All in all, I am VERY happy with how the TRX4 performed today. It's still not as capable as my Axial 10.2 rig, but at least it's not spending three quarters of its time laying on its roof!

My 10 year old son drove my SR5 10.2 truck today, it was good to have a rig that I know is absolutely dialed in to compare with.

Here's the pics.

TRX4_50

TRX4_49

TRX4_48

TRX4_45

TRX4_47

TRX4_46
Old 10-08-2017, 10:07 PM   #55
RCC Addict

Quote:
I don't think that was me saying that Tossedman, I haven't driven it yet in this latest configuration....it was far from the best compared to my 10.2 rig! I'm going out tomorrow on big crawling run so I will have more info coming on my TRX4 experiences! My son is driving my SR5 10.2 rig so their will be some good comparisons out on the rocks.
Sorry, I wasn’t very clear. I mean how’d it compare to your best dialled in rig, your SCX10 II. You clearly answered that question in your last post.

Cheers,

Todd
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:28 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

I'm going to to try out some new rubber....this time it's the tried and true Proline Super Swamper TSL SX tires. I didn't go with XL tires because I felt the Flat Iron XL tires I was using were too large. Plus, with the extra ground clearance provided with the Portal axles, a smaller tire shouldn't hinder performance. I stuffed them with Team Ottsix KLR 2-stage foams (under 10 lbs). I originally tried CI Lil Nova 4.25 foams (soft outers) but they were too large.

I think I might try some 85mm shocks to get the chassis a little lower, there's just a bit too much space between the tires and the wheel arches. I can't lower the body using the posts.

TRX4_53

TRX4_52

TRX4_51
Old 10-28-2017, 02:09 PM   #57

Very nice !

yellow1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:51 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Went downtown to my LHS today to look for some 85mm shocks....unfortunately they had 80mm and 90mm only. I will have to get some ordered from RPP soon.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:22 PM   #59
Go Buckeyes!

Good looking Chevy! I do like the looks with the smaller size tires.

B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:49 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Went downtown to my LHS today to look for some 85mm shocks....unfortunately they had 80mm and 90mm only. I will have to get some ordered from RPP soon.

I looked around locally too but didn’t find a 85mm available except Gmade xd’s which aren’t very scale looking.

dpcardoza is offline   Reply With Quote

bilinvic's TRX4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bilinvic's Twin Hammers bilinvic Vaterra Twin Hammers 125 09-05-2021 07:39 PM
bilinvic's SCX10 II bilinvic Axial SCX10 II 215 05-08-2018 11:06 AM
bilinvic's R1 Build bilinvic G-Made Crawlers 82 03-14-2018 07:52 PM
bilinvic's Ascender bilinvic Vaterra Ascender 169 11-14-2017 07:59 PM
bilinvic's Second Wraith Build bilinvic Axial Wraith 11 10-14-2014 05:39 AM