Notices

Thread: bilinvic's TRX4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2017, 08:03 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: bilinvic's TRX4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpcardoza View Post
I looked around locally too but didn’t find a 85mm available except Gmade xd’s which aren’t very scale looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is probably the shock I will go with.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2017, 02:14 PM   #62

Great Build. I am curious to see how it holds up vs the SCX when pounding rocks. The portal axles brass covers look tough. Do you see any potential failures with the Traxxas drive line ?
v8turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:19 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

The Traxxas driveline is looking pretty tough, I know a few other guys that are beating on their TRX4s and nothing broke yet.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:01 PM   #64
Rock Stacker

Much nicer with the small tyres! It looked more like a monster truck with the XL tyres, which doesn't really suit the vintage body.
andrewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:25 PM   #65
RCC Addict

I agree. The smaller tires look great. I'm tempted to get that body myself. But that would mean replacing my Bug body.... Nah, I'll just admire yours from afar. Well done Sir.

Cheers eh,

Todd
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:16 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

The smaller Swampers look great, but the Method 105 wheels seemed outta place....so I fixed that! GMade 1.9 SR02 beadlock wheels with the semigloss silver finish. Much better now, the offset is perfect and as a bonus, the wheels are heavier than the VP Methods. I was nervous that I may have an issue with the Proline tire beads, but these wheels bolted up with no problems whatsoever.

I did have to convert back to the stock Traxxas 12mm hexes because the SSD hexes don't fit through the wheels....yes, I could've drilled the holes larger; maybe another time!

I love how they look and I'm glad my LHS is open on Sundays!!!

TRX4_55

TRX4_56

TRX4_54
Old 11-05-2017, 10:04 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Hot damn, that looks good...

Although, wonder how the RC4WD Chevy Rally wheels would look...

Check out Itali83's Ascender Blazer - he left the chrome trim rings off and painted 'em body color.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:17 PM   #68
Quarry Creeper

That looks fantastic! I'm thinking of getting one of these bodies for my SCX10.

I think it'd look great with the rally wheels, or better yet wagon wheels
number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:55 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

New parts coming this week to make it even betterer!!!
Old 11-25-2017, 06:05 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

New parts arrived and installed!

Hot Racing Aluminum Shock Towers and SSD RC Brass Portal Cover / Weights.

My objective was to get the body / chassis lower while utilizing the stock TRX4 shocks. My mission was accomplished, but it took a lot of work re-adjusting all the links including the Panhard and steering links in order to eliminate any binding or clearance issues. I did have to remove the Exile RC brass front lower links and go back to stock, but that extra forward / low weight will be reacquired later. The larger diameter brass links were rubbing on the chassis rails when the suspension was cycling throughout it upper limits.

The Hot Racing shock towers are quite nice parts and seems to be very sturdy. The integrated Panhard mount is only single shear although I'm sure it will be more than sufficient. The stock plastic front tower brace / body mount post didn't fit really well using the HR towers and I had to enlarge the bolt hole on the aluminum tower to get it secured in place, no big deal though. For me, the important part of the shock towers is the multiple shock mounting options to get the shocks mounted a bit higher than stock. The upper holes cannot be used without using longer shocks though. I did have to notch the front wheel wells to clear the upper shock pivots since the shocks mounts traditionally instead of the stock longitudinally orientation.

Like every SSD RC part, the front portal weights are also really nice, no issues mounting them and they provide 150 grams (per pair) of non-rotational un-sprung weight down low. I moved the lighter (82 grams per pair) Hot Racing portal cover weights to the rear axle.

I'm very happy with how this truck is turning out, the stance is much better and is what I envisioned from the beginning of this build. I'm not going to win any "Flex Friday" contests, but there's definitely enough to do some technical rock crawling.

I have a few more pieces to the puzzle arriving soon....Samix TRX-4 brass steering knuckles and Samix brass lower shock/link mount set.

I will also be getting Crawler Innovations' newest foams, Lil' Nova Dual Stage 4.00" Standard Inner / Medium Outer foams.

Hopefully after all of this, I will be done....but as we know, they are NEVER done!

TRX4_65

TRX4_64

TRX4_63

TRX4_62

TRX4_61

TRX4_60

TRX4_59

TRX4_58

TRX4_57

Last edited by bilinvic; 11-25-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:42 PM   #71
Quarry Creeper

Looks like im grabbing them hr towers... thanks bill
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:16 PM   #72
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
New parts arrived and installed!

Hot Racing Aluminum Shock Towers and SSD RC Brass Portal Cover / Weights.

My objective was to get the body / chassis lower while utilizing the stock TRX4 shocks. My mission was accomplished, but it took a lot of work re-adjusting all the links including the Panhard and steering links in order to eliminate any binding or clearance issues. I did have to remove the Exile RC brass front lower links and go back to stock, but that extra forward / low weight will be reacquired later. The larger diameter brass links were rubbing on the chassis rails when the suspension was cycling throughout it upper limits.

The Hot Racing shock towers are quite nice parts and seems to be very sturdy. The integrated Panhard mount is only single shear although I'm sure it will be more than sufficient. The stock plastic front tower brace / body mount post didn't fit really well using the HR towers and I had to enlarge the bolt hole on the aluminum tower to get it secured in place, no big deal though. For me, the important part of the shock towers is the multiple shock mounting options to get the shocks mounted a bit higher than stock. The upper holes cannot be used without using longer shocks though. I did have to notch the front wheel wells to clear the upper shock pivots since the shocks mounts traditionally instead of the stock longitudinally orientation.

Like every SSD RC part, the front portal weights are also really nice, no issues mounting them and they provide 150 grams (per pair) of non-rotational un-sprung weight down low. I moved the lighter (82 grams per pair) Hot Racing portal cover weights to the rear axle.

I'm very happy with how this truck is turning out, the stance is much better and is what I envisioned from the beginning of this build. I'm not going to win any "Flex Friday" contests, but there's definitely enough to do some technical rock crawling.

I have a few more pieces to the puzzle arriving soon....Samix TRX-4 brass steering knuckles and Samix brass lower shock/link mount set.

I will also be getting Crawler Innovations' newest foams, Lil' Nova Dual Stage 4.00" Standard Inner / Medium Outer foams.

Hopefully after all of this, I will be done....but as we know, they are NEVER done!

TRX4_65

TRX4_64

TRX4_63

TRX4_62

TRX4_61

TRX4_60

TRX4_59

TRX4_58

TRX4_57

What is the limiting factor on using the highest holesbon the shocks? I have the shock towers sitting on my work bench and hoped to utilize the top holes to lower the COG.

dpcardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:21 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

The limiting factor is the all the suspension and steering links will have very little travel with lots of binding and clearance issues. By all means try it out though, maybe you see something I didn't.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:51 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

....and once again, more parts! This time it's from Samix C/O Amain, specifically their TRX-4 Brass Steering Knuckles and Brass Lower Shock/Link Mount Set.

There was no issue combining the SSD outer portal covers with the Samix knuckles.

With the Samix axle panhard mount and the Hot Racing shock tower/panhard mount, being stuck on the trail with a broken panhard mount is not likely now. These two mounts take a lot of abuse, especially with a hard crash and/or roll.

I honestly don't think I need any more forward bias weight...time will tell the next time I get out on the rocks.

I broke down and ordered a Bowhouse RC LCG battery mount, should have that in a week or two.

I also have the new Crawler Innovations Lil' Nova Dual Stage 4.00" Standard Inner / Medium Outer foams coming next week. Should be a perfect fit for these smaller Swamper tires.

Here's the obligatory pics!

TRX4_71

TRX4_70

TRX4_69

TRX4_68

TRX4_67

TRX4_66
Old 12-02-2017, 12:22 PM   #75
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
....and once again, more parts! This time it's from Samix C/O Amain, specifically their TRX-4 Brass Steering Knuckles and Brass Lower Shock/Link Mount Set.

There was no issue combining the SSD outer portal covers with the Samix knuckles.

With the Samix axle panhard mount and the Hot Racing shock tower/panhard mount, being stuck on the trail with a broken panhard mount is not likely now. These two mounts take a lot of abuse, especially with a hard crash and/or roll.

I honestly don't think I need any more forward bias weight...time will tell the next time I get out on the rocks.

I broke down and ordered a Bowhouse RC LCG battery mount, should have that in a week or two.

I also have the new Crawler Innovations Lil' Nova Dual Stage 4.00" Standard Inner / Medium Outer foams coming next week. Should be a perfect fit for these smaller Swamper tires.

Here's the obligatory pics!

TRX4_71

TRX4_70

TRX4_69

TRX4_68

TRX4_67

TRX4_66

I’m saving up for the samix knuckles as well. It’s the only one on the market that I’ve seen with the double arm steering link mount. Seems like good insurance for tumbles considering brass is a bit soft. Also glad to know samix and ssd play nice together. Just eating for amain to get them back in stock.

Old 12-02-2017, 12:33 PM   #76
Quarry Creeper

And I found out what you are talking about with the HR shock towers. I may eventually try and reconfigure the front end for this exact reason because I think performance could be improved greatly by lowering the COG some. Might be my only real complaint about the trx. There is just not much wiggle room in the front to change much.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:37 PM   #77
Pebble Pounder

am I the only one that can't see bilinvic's pics?
Ltd.yfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:45 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

What are you seeing in place of the photos?
Old 12-03-2017, 06:50 PM   #79
RCC Addict

I see them fine and the truck looks great Bill. The new stance combined with the wheel/tire package looks killer.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:54 PM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Good to hear...thanxs calcagno45. I just need the new CI foams and this rig will be ready to hit the rocks again.

bilinvic's TRX4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bilinvic's Twin Hammers bilinvic Vaterra Twin Hammers 125 09-05-2021 07:39 PM
bilinvic's SCX10 II bilinvic Axial SCX10 II 215 05-08-2018 11:06 AM
bilinvic's R1 Build bilinvic G-Made Crawlers 82 03-14-2018 07:52 PM
bilinvic's Ascender bilinvic Vaterra Ascender 169 11-14-2017 07:59 PM
bilinvic's Second Wraith Build bilinvic Axial Wraith 11 10-14-2014 05:39 AM