Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: bilinvic's TRX4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2017, 09:37 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default bilinvic's TRX4

Although I purchased this TRX4 back in late June, I'm finally getting around to starting a build thread.

I was very excited to get a RC that had lockable diffs and a two-speed to add to my collection.

After I got 'er home, I took it all apart to add grease and ensure everything was good to go. My intention was to leave it all relatively stock but we all know how that turns out. I did manage to get the TRX4 for it's inaugural run in it's stock RTR configuration (minus the spare, fuel cans and jack). I thoroughly enjoyed the different approach to crawling with this machine but I had a hard time accepting the performance to be sub-par compared to my other crawlers, in particular my SCX10.2. I tried to live with it but I couldn't, I want the best performance possible to try to give my 10.2 a run for the money! I also wanted to keep the Land Rover body through the modification journey.

First round of mods were as follows:

CC MMP
Tekin ROC412 1800kV
CC WP BEC 2.0
Promodeler D470 servo
Traxxas L
link wireless module
Vanquish 1.9 Method 105 wheels
Vanquish .475 SLW hubs
Pro-Line 1.9 Flat Iron tires w/ CI Lil' Nova foams
Pro-Line 1.9 BFG Krawler tires w/ CI Lil' Nova foams (I switched back and forth with tires!)
Exile RC brass SLW hub weights

I wanted to keep the Traxxas TX and RX because I like how you know what gear you are in and what differentials are locked by simply looking at the transmitters switch positions. If I had switched over to my Spektrum DX4S like I did with my old Summit, I couldn't tell what diffs were locked and what gear I was in. With the TRX link module, fine tuning the endpoints, drag brake, etc., was very easy.

The 1800kV motor is perfect for a 2-speed transmission. I had this motor in one of my 10.2 rigs and it was excellent, but wasn't that quick. With the 2-speed trans, I get amazing low end control and lots of speed in high gear.

After these changes and another day out on the rocks, I still wasn't amazed by it's crawling performance, too many back-flips while everyone else conquered the line. Yes, the machine was fun to run, but I needed more!

I was kinda put off by the lackluster crawling performance and the TRX4 has sat on a shelf collecting dust for the last couple of months. Time to wait for the aftermarket to catch up so I could remedy the poor performance.

Here's some pics from a while ago:

TRX4_01

TRX4_02

TRX4_03

TRX4_04

TRX4_05

TRX4_06

TRX4_07

TRX4_08
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2017, 09:39 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: bilinvic's TRX4

The second time out on the rocks:

TRX4_09

TRX4_10

TRX4_11

TRX4_13

TRX4_14

TRX4_12
Old 09-17-2017, 09:52 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Fast forward to last week, I decided it was time to get my TRX4 back on my workbench.

I was going to go with MFR portal covers because they look so good, but the Hot Racing covers were announced and were heavier so I went with them since you never see the portal gear covers anyway.

MFR 1.85 oz (52.4 grams) VS HR 2.89 oz (82 grams) per pair. The quality of the HR brass covers is perfect, bearing are a tight fit and all the bolt holes lined up exactly.

I wanted a brass portal gear cover that I could still use my Exile RC brass SLW hub weights if required. Some of the brass covers go past the wheel hex and into the wheel and that wouldn't work for me.

I also ordered up SSD's new front bumper, it's very simple and looks exactly like a real LR front bumper. The approach angle was less than desirable with the stock plastic bumper. The rear bumper needs replacing as well since it's like a land anchor!!!!

TRX4_18

TRX4_17

TRX4_15

TRX4_16
Old 09-17-2017, 10:12 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I thought for sure that after adding the HR brass portal covers the TRX4 would be much better....but that wasn't the case after a test session. I use the same rock crawling lines for every rig to test performance and balance and the TRX4 still failed......enter discouragement.....I was ready to heave this fricken truck over a cliff!

I then tried the same lines with the Land Rover body removed and sure enough, the TRX4 conquered the most difficult test lines I use. It was at this point I decided to forego using this almost 2lb body; I really wanted to make this machine work with the stock LR body, but the weight and balance is just too much of an obstacle to overcome.

The following day I spent almost two hours mulling over the huge selection of lexan bodies at my LHS. Although I am a Ford guy, I walked out with Pro-Line's 1966 Chevy C10 pickup body (with the bed). There's no argument this C10 has beautiful lines and would look great on the TRX4. BONUS, the SSD LR front bumper works perfectly wit this body.

I decreased the wheelbase by using Vanquish Wraith titanium lower links with TRX4 rod ends on the skid side and RPM Revo length rod ends on the axle side. The upper link is stock but with Revo end links on the axle side. This mod put the rear wheels perfectly centered in the rear wheel wells of the C10 body.

TRX4_19
Old 09-18-2017, 03:36 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

That body looks perfect for the truck. Are you worried about the plastic gears in the trans with the roc412? I've seen the part number on traxxas website for them metal option, just not available yet.
Levesque87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:52 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Glad to see I'm not the only one underwhelmed. Only reason I'm keeping the body as-is, is those wonderful inner fenders and realistic details I've added courtesy of Knight Customs. I'll relegate mine to goof-off duty. Good looking shell on yours now Sir.
imthatguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:53 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levesque87 View Post
That body looks perfect for the truck. Are you worried about the plastic gears in the trans with the roc412? I've seen the part number on traxxas website for them metal option, just not available yet.
When I opened up my transmission, all the gears were metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
Glad to see I'm not the only one underwhelmed. Only reason I'm keeping the body as-is, is those wonderful inner fenders and realistic details I've added courtesy of Knight Customs. I'll relegate mine to goof-off duty. Good looking shell on yours now Sir.
I guess us Canucks are more picky when it comes to crawling performance eh imthatguy?
I found a way of using the front inner fenders with the C10 body...I'll post this evening showing how I did it.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:01 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
When I opened up my transmission, all the gears were metal.

I guess us Canucks are more picky when it comes to crawling performance eh imthatguy?
I found a way of using the front inner fenders with the C10 body...I'll post this evening showing how I did it.
Great, curious to see where you end up taking it!
imthatguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:29 AM   #9

I can't wait to see it with that finished Chevy body on it! And I love the look of Flat Iron XLs. They don't get used enough. Although I don't own them so maybe the performance is what has held their popularity back.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:49 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

All the gears were metal? My 2 speed 3 of the 4 are plastic. Not worried myself to be honest actually like them lighter.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:18 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I was hoping you'd buy one, and I am stoked that you chose a Chevy body for it. I've seen another one on here and the '66 looks killer on this chassis. Cool build and great photos as we've come to expect from you, Bil.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:33 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Best thing I ever did to mine was to put a new body on it. It crawls great now. Like you said, that heavy body is all that makes this thing a poor crawler. Looking forward to seeing how you used the inner fenders. They're too big for the Bug without some major surgery. Are you going to add some of the Shapeways goodies to your truck?

Last edited by Tossedman; 09-25-2017 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Can't type...
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:53 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
And I love the look of Flat Iron XLs. They don't get used enough. Although I don't own them so maybe the performance is what has held their popularity back.
I have the Flat Iron XLs in 1.9 and 2.2, they are a really good tire and I have no intentions of getting rid of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
All the gears were metal? My 2 speed 3 of the 4 are plastic. Not worried myself to be honest actually like them lighter.
It's my understanding the first issue of TRX4s came with plastic gears, then they switched over to metal transmission gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tossedman View Post
Are you going to add some of the Shapeways goodies to your truck?
I saw those parts the other day...it's very tempting!
Old 09-18-2017, 08:46 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Here's how I was able to utilize the front TRX4 fenders on the frame:

I happen to have a Vanquish Axial SCX / JK Rear Bumper mount in my parts drawer and I thought that I could use a long screw/bolt to go thru the fender's cross-member and into the triangular bumper mount section to hold the fender's tight against the frame rails and sure enough, it worked just as I was hoping it would. I used an Axial M3x61mm hex socket button head screw (AXA012. For the rear section of the front fenders, I used a pin vise to drill a hole thru the side plate and into the overlapping flap of the fender and used one of those tiny Axial body screws (one per side). With these three attachment points, the fenders are definitely not moving and they are super easy to remove.

The VP bumper mount is slightly narrower that the Traxxas bumper support, I added spacers (1 per side) between the bumper mount and frame rails on the screws so that I didn't squeeze the frame rails when the screws were tightened.

TRX4_25

TRX4_24

TRX4_23

TRX4_22

TRX4_21

TRX4_20
Old 09-18-2017, 08:49 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Good thinking! That's pretty much the longest screw I've ever seen on an RC truck.
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:31 PM   #16

Quote:
That's pretty much the longest screw I've ever seen on an RC truck.
That's what she said.
RCPics Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:03 PM   #17

Quote:

I decreased the wheelbase by using Vanquish Wraith titanium lower links with TRX4 rod ends on the skid side and RPM Revo length rod ends on the axle side. The upper link is stock but with Revo end links on the axle side. This mod put the rear wheels perfectly centered in the rear wheel wells of the C10 body.
Hey, sorry to be a noob here, but I can't seem to put together the parts list to do this wheelbase shortening. You have any links? Thanks!
RCPics Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Here's how I was able to utilize the front TRX4 fenders on the frame:

I happen to have a Vanquish Axial SCX / JK Rear Bumper mount in my parts drawer and I thought that I could use a long screw/bolt to go thru the fender's cross-member and into the triangular bumper mount section to hold the fender's tight against the frame rails and sure enough, it worked just as I was hoping it would. I used an Axial M3x61mm hex socket button head screw (AXA012. For the rear section of the front fenders, I used a pin vise to drill a hole thru the side plate and into the overlapping flap of the fender and used one of those tiny Axial body screws (one per side). With these three attachment points, the fenders are definitely not moving and they are super easy to remove.

The VP bumper mount is slightly narrower that the Traxxas bumper support, I added spacers (1 per side) between the bumper mount and frame rails on the screws so that I didn't squeeze the frame rails when the screws were tightened.
That looks great with the fenders just up front!
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:24 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Good thinking! That's pretty much the longest screw I've ever seen on an RC truck.
axial yeti hinge pin for the front a-arms standard in a yeti part box

nice body choice
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:24 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPics Jeff View Post
Hey, sorry to be a noob here, but I can't seem to put together the parts list to do this wheelbase shortening. You have any links? Thanks!
X2, I'm also having a hard time trying to figure out exactly what parts you used.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote

bilinvic's TRX4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bilinvic's Twin Hammers bilinvic Vaterra Twin Hammers 125 09-05-2021 07:39 PM
bilinvic's SCX10 II bilinvic Axial SCX10 II 215 05-08-2018 11:06 AM
bilinvic's R1 Build bilinvic G-Made Crawlers 82 03-14-2018 07:52 PM
bilinvic's Ascender bilinvic Vaterra Ascender 169 11-14-2017 07:59 PM
bilinvic's Second Wraith Build bilinvic Axial Wraith 11 10-14-2014 05:39 AM