Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: MFR Brass C Hubs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default MFR Brass C Hubs

Metal Fab by Reed C-Hubs came in and finished installing them. Now it's got some weight up front

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
djmaincheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2017, 05:45 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: MFR Brass C Hubs

I think MFR did a good job for those wanting weight, but you do lose clearance in a few spots, likely due to being brass.

Also I was hoping for more angles and fillets on the edges of the C headed down to help not get caught up. While the weight is way high, it's just too much honestly for my needs. I'm not running a stock body though so I have removed the top heaviness. Thinking mine will end up for sale sooner than later.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:28 AM   #3

The TRX-4 is going old school. Back in the day we threw as much weight as possible in the wheels and people realized that wasn't the best idea. It was a Band-Aid for a poorly setup truck.

Now the same thing is happening with the TRX-4, but instead of putting the weights in the wheels they are making everything brass. This is a bad idea for many reasons.

And brass is soft so brass rubbing on steel screws and other brass parts means you'll probably have to replace those expensive parts sooner than you'd like unless you can deal with all of the play and slop that will be created.

These are brass Band-Aids, boys.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:44 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Its just a way to sell parts.. anyone who has used the trx4 as a crawler or a trail truck, furthermore as a basher will likely regret the addition of mass weight.... I can totally wrap my head around knuckle weights or even portal covers(one or the other), however bottom links is laughable. But it seems you can sell ANYTHING on the internet....
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky View Post
Its just a way to sell parts.. anyone who has used the trx4 as a crawler or a trail truck, furthermore as a basher will likely regret the addition of mass weight.... I can totally wrap my head around knuckle weights or even portal covers(one or the other), however bottom links is laughable. But it seems you can sell ANYTHING on the internet....
I think these companies are taking advantage of the newb's naivety.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:11 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Someone should make a brass axle housing... lol

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Di_Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Now the same thing is happening with the TRX-4, but instead of putting the weights in the wheels they are making everything brass. This is a bad idea for many reasons.
There are parts that are worthwhile and still used in modern comp and scale set ups that are lighter weight. Granted everything in brass is unneeded, but lets not forget the best trucks still run knuckle weights so some of this brass is a good buy and modern school of thought.

You'll never see me put weights in wheels, it is the worse place for it. Just adds rotating mass and more stress on parts. Knuckle/Portal weight in the TRX-4 case is ideal but some weight, not a ton, we both agree there.

I have the brass outer portal covers on the front and they really helped and cause no issues. I'd like maybe a bit more but currently I'm using some overly heavy stamped steel wheels that help - until I get ready for some light aluminum 1.9s.

I also got rid of the stock body (really more the structure that is the weight and top heaviness issue the body stripped is normal in weight) anyhow. So my weight needs are much more normal.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote