RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/)
-   -   New competition low CG battery tray (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/590319-new-competition-low-cg-battery-tray.html)

SMALLVILLE 10-05-2017 01:54 PM

New Maximum low CG battery tray

7 Attachment(s)
I've owned my TRX-4 since it came out and I have loved it. I started modifying it shortly after that for performance. The battery tray was not in the best position so I designed this tray with maximum low CG in mind. The Maximum lcgbt starts in the lowest position possible but it's not static, it actually moves with the suspension.
Attachment 365348

The battery tray is mounted to the chassis just behind the transmission. The back of the tray holds onto the upper suspension links and rides up and down as your suspension travels. The 3-point mounting system keeps your battery tray level from side to side as it moves.
Attachment 365349Attachment 365350Attachment 365351
Attachment 365352

The COMP lcgbt is made from 6061 aluminum and has a rubberized finish on top and comes with two velcro straps to keep your battery secure. All additional Hardware for install will be supplied. Attachment 365353

I've been testing it for 2 months with no failures, also it's made in the USA in my garage LOL . The Maximum lcgbt has shown improved side hill stability and vertical climbing abilities. Since the battery is not static, you actually get better CG as your suspension droops.
Attachment 365354

A good friend of mine (David AKA Road Boy) will be running the truck at the DLB comp coming up on October 14th, I will not be able to attend. FYI I'm new to trying to sell things here so contact me at rctrailcrawl@gmail.com or pm me here. I should have a Facebook page here soon with a how to install video. I am currently manufacturing 12 units and shipping will begin as soon as the velcro straps get here around the 18th. Check out the tray in action at Maximum Torque RC on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek1QE-pr4Jw

wrightcs77 10-05-2017 02:19 PM

Re: New competition low CG battery tray

Not sure if you have a vendor star or not, but I would recommend getting one if you're going to be putting stuff up for sale in threads.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

SMALLVILLE 10-05-2017 02:49 PM

I didn't know I needed one I'll do it now. got it, thanks for saying something.

Duuuuuuuude 10-05-2017 07:05 PM

Also, no prices in build threads. ;-)

svt923 10-06-2017 06:31 AM

Nice work on the battery tray.

You might want to think about giving it a different name because your "competition low CG battery tray" is illegal in comps following SORCCA rules.

binaryterror 10-06-2017 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt923 (Post 5754571)
"competition low CG battery tray" is illegal in comps following SORCCA rules.

I was beaten to the punch, but this is correct. Since the tray mounts to the upper links this is illegal by SORRCA rules, same as the Vaterra Ascender stock upper link/battery tray.

JatoTheRipper 10-06-2017 07:11 AM

Cool concept. SORRCA is like ROAR - they hold back innovation. Sad, but true.

Those shocks are interesting. They look like GMade clones. How do they work?

SMALLVILLE 10-06-2017 01:33 PM

According to the SORRCA rules "All vehicles must have the motor, transmission, and electronics covered and hidden when viewed from the top
and sides. Batteries must be chassis mounted and should be hidden from view".
The front of the tray is mounted to the chassis. It uses two 45mm long bolts with 3mm nuts that run through the chassis through the center brace and into the tray. You could remove the rear bracket that is riding on top of the suspension links and it would run fine without it (my first prototype did that), also the battery tray would not fall out of vehicle. And with the body on it is very hard to see the battery from any angle. This battery tray does not violate any rules directly that I can find. This is the basis of innovation, to work with in the rules while pushing the vehicles performance past its stock platform. This battery tray does just that better than any other tray on the market.

SMALLVILLE 10-06-2017 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
JatoTheRipper,

They are the Yeah Racing 110mm Desert Lizard internal spring shocks. They come with three different spring length that are in three different spring rates. So you can run Sprung setup, Sprung Droop setup, Droop setup or something in between depending on spring length and rate. They also come with 3 different pistons for dampening. These are bottom end loading cartridge and do not have a shock bladder at the top. In order to prevent hydrolocking from overfilling the shocks, use a turkey baster to measure shock fluid so that you have the same air gap in each shock and your rebound will be consistent. It is worth noting in order to maintain 110mm shock length you must run one of the 10mm springs under the dampening piston.

binaryterror 10-06-2017 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMALLVILLE (Post 5754726)
According to the SORRCA rules "All vehicles must have the motor, transmission, and electronics covered and hidden when viewed from the top
and sides. Batteries must be chassis mounted and should be hidden from view"

I'm trying to help, the Ascender is basically the same idea and is SORRCA illegal. The Battery can not mount to a link or axle, only to the chassis, hence chassis mounted. If you can mount it to just the chassis and not rest on the links, it sounds like you might have a workaround.

svt923 10-06-2017 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMALLVILLE (Post 5754726)
This battery tray does not violate any rules directly that I can find. This is the basis of innovation, to work with in the rules while pushing the vehicles performance past its stock platform. This battery tray does just that better than any other tray on the market.

The position of SORCCA on this topic:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/scale...ml#post5733885

SMALLVILLE 10-07-2017 10:27 PM

So my question is at the DLB competition if you have something that is illegal can you still pay run just for fun?

binaryterror 10-09-2017 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMALLVILLE (Post 5755079)
So my question is at the DLB competition if you have something that is illegal can you still pay run just for fun?

Local or some events might let you, however a larger event that is following SORRCA rules your truck will be denied entry until fixed.

JatoTheRipper 10-09-2017 08:36 AM

Most TRX-4 owners aren't going to have to worry about SORRCA. I think your tray will sell as designed because it looks like it will work well.

If you want to design a second, SORRCA-legal tray you could offer that as a second product.

Inspector86 10-09-2017 08:04 PM

Or design the tray so it can be mounted either on the chassis or the suspenion depending on the need.

gurumods 02-20-2018 09:29 AM

Like the LCGBT,but i am interested in your suspension.I found the Yeah racing internal shocks and the gpm part,but can't find your shock mounts (the red arm). Posta link please,Thank you,Steve

Turtlejon 02-21-2018 05:46 PM

I get the point of the SORRCA rule, a lot of folks were mounting small batteries right on the front axle like comp crawlers, and it was very un-scale looking. The vaterra mount, and this mount, are basically completely hidden, so it seems kinda pedantic to make that rule apply to them. From what I can tell, all batteries are mounted to something connected by a link to the axle, which is exactly how the vaterra tray is mounted too. I think it's a clear case of cool innovation being stifled for a reason I have yet to understand. There have been rumors that imply that if A**** had done it first that it would have been totally legal, and that it was done to keep them ahead...