Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: New competition low CG battery tray

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #1

Default New Maximum low CG battery tray

I've owned my TRX-4 since it came out and I have loved it. I started modifying it shortly after that for performance. The battery tray was not in the best position so I designed this tray with maximum low CG in mind. The Maximum lcgbt starts in the lowest position possible but it's not static, it actually moves with the suspension.
Name:  clgt1.jpg
Views: 1814
Size:  178.1 KB

The battery tray is mounted to the chassis just behind the transmission. The back of the tray holds onto the upper suspension links and rides up and down as your suspension travels. The 3-point mounting system keeps your battery tray level from side to side as it moves.
Name:  clcgt11.jpg
Views: 1432
Size:  178.2 KBName:  clcgt10.jpg
Views: 2087
Size:  149.8 KBName:  clcgt9.jpg
Views: 1442
Size:  164.4 KB
Name:  clcgt6.jpg
Views: 1741
Size:  169.4 KB

The COMP lcgbt is made from 6061 aluminum and has a rubberized finish on top and comes with two velcro straps to keep your battery secure. All additional Hardware for install will be supplied. Name:  clcgt12.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  156.1 KB

I've been testing it for 2 months with no failures, also it's made in the USA in my garage LOL . The Maximum lcgbt has shown improved side hill stability and vertical climbing abilities. Since the battery is not static, you actually get better CG as your suspension droops.
Name:  20171005_150652.jpg
Views: 1381
Size:  160.9 KB

A good friend of mine (David AKA Road Boy) will be running the truck at the DLB comp coming up on October 14th, I will not be able to attend. FYI I'm new to trying to sell things here so contact me at rctrailcrawl@gmail.com or pm me here. I should have a Facebook page here soon with a how to install video. I am currently manufacturing 12 units and shipping will begin as soon as the velcro straps get here around the 18th. Check out the tray in action at Maximum Torque RC on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek1QE-pr4Jw

Last edited by SMALLVILLE; 10-07-2017 at 10:19 PM.
SMALLVILLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2017, 02:19 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: New competition low CG battery tray

Not sure if you have a vendor star or not, but I would recommend getting one if you're going to be putting stuff up for sale in threads.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:49 PM   #3

I didn't know I needed one I'll do it now. got it, thanks for saying something.

Last edited by SMALLVILLE; 10-05-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:05 PM   #4
Suck it up!

Also, no prices in build threads.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:31 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Nice work on the battery tray.

You might want to think about giving it a different name because your "competition low CG battery tray" is illegal in comps following SORCCA rules.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:45 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
"competition low CG battery tray" is illegal in comps following SORCCA rules.
I was beaten to the punch, but this is correct. Since the tray mounts to the upper links this is illegal by SORRCA rules, same as the Vaterra Ascender stock upper link/battery tray.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:11 AM   #7

Cool concept. SORRCA is like ROAR - they hold back innovation. Sad, but true.

Those shocks are interesting. They look like GMade clones. How do they work?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #8

According to the SORRCA rules "All vehicles must have the motor, transmission, and electronics covered and hidden when viewed from the top
and sides. Batteries must be chassis mounted and should be hidden from view".
The front of the tray is mounted to the chassis. It uses two 45mm long bolts with 3mm nuts that run through the chassis through the center brace and into the tray. You could remove the rear bracket that is riding on top of the suspension links and it would run fine without it (my first prototype did that), also the battery tray would not fall out of vehicle. And with the body on it is very hard to see the battery from any angle. This battery tray does not violate any rules directly that I can find. This is the basis of innovation, to work with in the rules while pushing the vehicles performance past its stock platform. This battery tray does just that better than any other tray on the market.

Last edited by SMALLVILLE; 10-06-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:00 PM   #9

JatoTheRipper,

They are the Yeah Racing 110mm Desert Lizard internal spring shocks. They come with three different spring length that are in three different spring rates. So you can run Sprung setup, Sprung Droop setup, Droop setup or something in between depending on spring length and rate. They also come with 3 different pistons for dampening. These are bottom end loading cartridge and do not have a shock bladder at the top. In order to prevent hydrolocking from overfilling the shocks, use a turkey baster to measure shock fluid so that you have the same air gap in each shock and your rebound will be consistent. It is worth noting in order to maintain 110mm shock length you must run one of the 10mm springs under the dampening piston.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2017, 02:12 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMALLVILLE View Post
According to the SORRCA rules "All vehicles must have the motor, transmission, and electronics covered and hidden when viewed from the top
and sides. Batteries must be chassis mounted and should be hidden from view"
I'm trying to help, the Ascender is basically the same idea and is SORRCA illegal. The Battery can not mount to a link or axle, only to the chassis, hence chassis mounted. If you can mount it to just the chassis and not rest on the links, it sounds like you might have a workaround.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:19 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
This battery tray does not violate any rules directly that I can find. This is the basis of innovation, to work with in the rules while pushing the vehicles performance past its stock platform. This battery tray does just that better than any other tray on the market.
The position of SORCCA on this topic:

Vaterra Ascender Battery Mount
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:27 PM   #12

So my question is at the DLB competition if you have something that is illegal can you still pay run just for fun?
Old 10-09-2017, 07:40 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So my question is at the DLB competition if you have something that is illegal can you still pay run just for fun?
Local or some events might let you, however a larger event that is following SORRCA rules your truck will be denied entry until fixed.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:36 AM   #14

Most TRX-4 owners aren't going to have to worry about SORRCA. I think your tray will sell as designed because it looks like it will work well.

If you want to design a second, SORRCA-legal tray you could offer that as a second product.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:04 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Or design the tray so it can be mounted either on the chassis or the suspenion depending on the need.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #16

Like the LCGBT,but i am interested in your suspension.I found the Yeah racing internal shocks and the gpm part,but can't find your shock mounts (the red arm). Posta link please,Thank you,Steve
gurumods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:46 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I get the point of the SORRCA rule, a lot of folks were mounting small batteries right on the front axle like comp crawlers, and it was very un-scale looking. The vaterra mount, and this mount, are basically completely hidden, so it seems kinda pedantic to make that rule apply to them. From what I can tell, all batteries are mounted to something connected by a link to the axle, which is exactly how the vaterra tray is mounted too. I think it's a clear case of cool innovation being stifled for a reason I have yet to understand. There have been rumors that imply that if A**** had done it first that it would have been totally legal, and that it was done to keep them ahead...
Turtlejon is offline   Reply With Quote

New competition low CG battery tray - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bomber battery tray wont fit new Lipo battery rock1997 Axial RR10 Bomber 10 08-20-2016 10:36 AM
Battery tray & battery options? Mysterious Axial XR10 10 02-18-2012 01:13 PM
Low cg battery plate nimh battery aej_27 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 01-17-2011 08:44 AM