RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/)
-   -   TRX4 Differential Oil? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/590806-trx4-differential-oil.html)

malickie 10-18-2017 11:01 AM

TRX4 Differential Oil?

Ok, not sure if this has been asked yet or not, tried search and not finding what I am looking for. Anyway finally got around to cracking open the TRX4 Axles, now the question is seeing as how the diff assembly is pretty darn close to the same as the summit I recall putting diff oil in the actual diff where the tiny gears are. Noticed when I cracked this one open there was absolutely no diff oil at all, just wondering if I should keep it that way, with no oil, or play around with some different diff oil weights.

magic_yeti 10-18-2017 12:09 PM

Re: TRX4 Differential Oil?

Never opened mine but if there's no oil in, is there a seal so the applied oil will stay? new field to play then :mrgreen:

tuanies 10-18-2017 12:12 PM

There's no oil, just grease. I use marine grease in mine.

malickie 10-18-2017 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuanies (Post 5758519)
There's no oil, just grease. I use marine grease in mine.

If you open up the diff gear and cup there are 4 little gears inside that are typically oiled in a summit. Not actually talking about the large diff gear and pinion. Even still there was very little grease there which will be replaced with marine grease when I put it all back together again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malickie 10-18-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog (Post 5758532)
There was a very small amount of grease in mine, no o-rings sealing outdrives and no gasket or o-ring on the ring gear to diffcup...so no oil for me, greased it well with Lucas Red N Tacky.

Yeah, forgot about it not having a gasket or o ring, guess Lucas it is, the oil would likely just leak right out of there without a gasket/o-ring quite fast lol.

tuanies 10-18-2017 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malickie (Post 5758524)
If you open up the diff gear and cup there are 4 little gears inside that are typically oiled in a summit. Not actually talking about the large diff gear and pinion. Even still there was very little grease there which will be replaced with marine grease when I put it all back together again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crap, I forgot about that part LOL. Shows how often I rebuild my diffs :D

magic_yeti 10-19-2017 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malickie (Post 5758535)
Yeah, forgot about it not having a gasket or o ring, guess Lucas it is, the oil would likely just leak right out of there without a gasket/o-ring quite fast lol.

Like on a 1:1 Defender 8) this could give same more scale realism ;-)

ok so no new playground:mrgreen: