Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Thinking of buying a TRX4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2017, 01:23 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Thinking of buying a TRX4

Well it's been out for a while. What do you people that have them think of them compared to other scale trucks/crawlers. Any upgrades needed right away? I do want to go to sensored brushless like a Mamba x and a 3800kv slate or 2850 and 3s. Is the servo good enough? I don't know really what to ask. I just want you guys to give me as much input as possible before I spend $450 I've had every Axial except a bomber. Bomber was my other choice. Sorry for rambling..

One other thing I hate the body it comes with so if I buy it I will be getting rid of the body if anyone is interested.

Last edited by Tommy23490; 10-18-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Tommy23490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2017, 01:35 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Thinking of buying a TRX4

The servo is supposedly weak, but I ripped mine out and replaced it with a Savoxx after 5 minutes of playing with it. You could always get the Holmes SHV500 and plug it directly into the JST connector coming off the stock ESC. I'm running a Mamba X with 1900kv Slate, it runs great on 3S/4S . But all the mods are because I enjoy building/tinkering. The car should run pretty damn well stock, minus the steering servo that likes to fail on people.
tuanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:05 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thank you.. I use that same servo on my Axials
Old 10-18-2017, 03:37 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

For sure buy a trx4. Yes the servo is week. Hit and miss on the servo for problems. I've not had any problems with mine being stock. But I do have a new servo waiting at home to be installed that will be more than twice as strong. Myself, I can't speak how it compares to other scalers out there as this is my only one I have that runs. I'm building a trailfinder2 that is in the works for the next many months, lol. I do not regret buying my trx4, love it. Is it 100% perfect, no. What rc is out of the box. Like you I did think about a bomber and picked the trx4 over the bomber. But soon one day a bomber will be in my collection of trucks. Just remember you can put upgrades in this truck. Seems like i see more upgrades out there for the trx4 as time goes on. If not direct bolt on upgrades, with some modifications upgrades can be added on. Keep us updated what you pick.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Well I bought one today.. I love it. I got a 5200mah 50c 3s battery to go with it. I could not be happier the truck. Highly recommended. Now it's wheels and tires time and of course getting rid of that hideous body.

Last edited by Tommy23490; 10-18-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:36 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

The TRX-4 has been popping up in my thoughts, as well. When it first rolled out, I thought, "Forget it. It has all the complicated Summit-tech bells & whistles," but from what I've been reading, the Summit-tech has been well-received (improved?), and the TRX-4 platform, overall, is quite capable out of the box. I almost bought one off eBay, earlier today, but let someone beat me to it. It was a red one, and I figured I'd just pull the body and resell it, because it's the chassis I want more than anything. I have a feeling, however, based on some search results, that Traxxas might be releasing that prototype "green" version, and if they do, I'd want to keep that one. If I got the grey/gunmetal version, though, I might consider keeping it, too. A few attributes that still give me pause, are reports that many standard 1.9 beadlock rims won't fit, and that the extra tracking width (9.8") will make fitment problems with most standard scale bodies. If I can't throw on a standard budget set of aluminum rims, I probably won't bother with it, honestly, so I guess that's pretty much a deal-breaker, if it proves true. Now, I wouldn't mind using 2.2's, but there are very few 2.2 tires that aren't too big in O.D. Still deliberating...
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Drove my buddies the other day and lets just say Ill be ordering mine at the end of the month for my Bday.. Nothing but smiles!
BCCrawlerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:51 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

From what I recall most of the gearhead wheels will work. The main issues other than all the darn screws for maintenance would be the the stock electronics leave a bit to be desired. Have had 3 micro servos give out on me and the main steering servo is a bit underpowered and have read quite a few people burning them out though that likely has a lot to do with the way people drive the rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
malickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
The TRX-4 has been popping up in my thoughts, as well. When it first rolled out, I thought, "Forget it. It has all the complicated Summit-tech bells & whistles," but from what I've been reading, the Summit-tech has been well-received (improved?), and the TRX-4 platform, overall, is quite capable out of the box. I almost bought one off eBay, earlier today, but let someone beat me to it. It was a red one, and I figured I'd just pull the body and resell it, because it's the chassis I want more than anything. I have a feeling, however, based on some search results, that Traxxas might be releasing that prototype "green" version, and if they do, I'd want to keep that one. If I got the grey/gunmetal version, though, I might consider keeping it, too. A few attributes that still give me pause, are reports that many standard 1.9 beadlock rims won't fit, and that the extra tracking width (9.8") will make fitment problems with most standard scale bodies. If I can't throw on a standard budget set of aluminum rims, I probably won't bother with it, honestly, so I guess that's pretty much a deal-breaker, if it proves true. Now, I wouldn't mind using 2.2's, but there are very few 2.2 tires that aren't too big in O.D. Still deliberating...
SSD makes replacement hexes that let you fit standard wheels that fit the SCX10. If you come down for the U4RC race on Saturday in Covington, you can try out my upgraded one.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:05 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanies View Post
SSD makes replacement hexes that let you fit standard wheels that fit the SCX10. If you come down for the U4RC race on Saturday in Covington, you can try out my upgraded one.
Good info! Thanks. That sounds like something I might like to do, but my time has gotten taken up with the addition of a 3rd child, so I doubt I'll be able to get down that way. I'll PM you, though, if that changes, because I'd like to see how you've got it setup.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:07 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Good info! Thanks. That sounds like something I might like to do, but my time has gotten taken up with the addition of a 3rd child, so I doubt I'll be able to get down that way. I'll PM you, though, if that changes, because I'd like to see how you've got it setup.
It's a family friendly event . I bring my kids on occasion, they just get bored if I'm there for too long so they're staying home on Saturday
Old 10-19-2017, 04:29 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanies View Post
It's a family friendly event . I bring my kids on occasion, they just get bored if I'm there for too long so they're staying home on Saturday
Ahhh, now that knowledge might provide an opportunity to go, since I could bring my 5 yr old, give my wife some peace at home for a few hours. Is there a website that provides info about the event?
Old 10-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Ahhh, now that knowledge might provide an opportunity to go, since I could bring my 5 yr old, give my wife some peace at home for a few hours. Is there a website that provides info about the event?
It's pinned in the WARCRC Facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/WARCRCGROUP/
Old 10-20-2017, 07:38 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
A few attributes that still give me pause, are reports that many standard 1.9 beadlock rims won't fit, and that the extra tracking width (9.8") will make fitment problems with most standard scale bodies.
2 points of clarification:

1: The majority of popular wheels do fit and many more can fit with a quick drilling out of the axle hole. The wheels that tend to not fit are those with a wide rear beadlock ring (typically those that use M3 hardware for the rear ring).

TRX4 wheel fitment info

2: The hex to hex width on the TRX4 axles is the same as a SCX10. The wide track width spec is a combination of wheel offset and nearly 2 inch wide tires.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:09 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy23490 View Post
Well I bought one today.. I love it. I got a 5200mah 50c 3s battery to go with it. I could not be happier the truck. Highly recommended. Now it's wheels and tires time and of course getting rid of that hideous body.
That's great you picked up one finally, for sure worth it. One of the things I'm liking right now is the aftermarket stuff is slowing growing for this rig.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote

Thinking of buying a TRX4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking of buying used, please help rknaub Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 3 10-17-2014 11:31 PM
Thinking about buying mustangboy_347 Tools, and Procedures 0 11-15-2012 12:38 PM
THinking of buying MdgtRac Venom Creeper 4 11-08-2010 08:13 PM
Thinking about buying one muddin2deep Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 05-18-2009 10:57 AM
thinking about buying one romulus22 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 11-24-2007 12:01 AM