Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: RPM's TRX4 JK Wrangler Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2017, 05:24 PM   #1
rpm
Rock Stacker

Default RPM's TRX4 JK Wrangler Build

Hey guys, As the owner of a pretty well built JK Wrangler, I thought the TRX4 was the perfect base for a new build with my 1:1 JK HEXICON as the inspiration. My JK is named HEXICON as I've had custom hex diff housing fabbed up for it.

I picked up a trx4 a few months ago and was impressed with the capability straight out of the box.

I had some 1.9 KLR's so i thought I'd throw them on. It was a huge improvement over the stock tires.

I went for one crawl in this guise at my local spot and was so over the stock bumpers hitting on everything that I decided that the TRX4 needed a new body with high clearance bumpers.
rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2017, 06:12 PM   #2

Default Re: RPM's TRX4 JK Wrangler Build

Your 1.1 looks good! I have a 2015 Hard Rock addition that I want to do a scale copy. What body you planning on using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crawler149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:21 PM   #3
rpm
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler149 View Post
Your 1.1 looks good! I have a 2015 Hard Rock addition that I want to do a scale copy. What body you planning on using?

Nice... the hardrock is a nice edition of the Wrangler. Mine is a 2007 diesel.

I had an Axial JK body and roof lying around so i'll be using that.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:52 PM   #4
rpm
Rock Stacker

I thought the TRX4 could be improved upon with a little bit more forward biased weight. I ordered the full catalogue of MFR parts and that kicked off a bit of a gold bling theme with the build.

Some gold limited edition 100mm King shocks, 2.2 beadlocks with gold rings were also installed. I thought i'd try and stretch some 1.9 KLR's on 2.2 rims. It was alot easier than I thought.

A comparison shot of a 1.9 KLR on a 1.9 rim Vs a 1.9 KLR on a 2.2 rim. I had to modify the 1.9 Crawler Innovations foams to suit the 2.2 wheel cans. After that it's just a matter a stretching the tires over the 2.2 rims and seating the bead correctly.

I'll also be running the stock TRX4 wheelbase with inner fenders attached to the chassis. Some RC4WD front and rear bars were attached and I'm also running the RC4WD Warn 8274 Highmount winch which matches the winch on my 1:1 rig.

I managed to retain the stock plastic sliders as they work really well with the Axial JK body. I installed some spacers to lift the sliders up and got it right first go.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:39 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I used Revo hollow balls to lift up the sliders on my TRX to meet the JK body I’m running. They were perfect.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:46 PM   #6
rpm
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
I used Revo hollow balls to lift up the sliders on my TRX to meet the JK body I’m running. They were perfect.
Nice one It is very satisfying when something just works out when your customizing. What JK body are you running Screamer? Any pics?
Old 10-22-2017, 09:25 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
Nice one It is very satisfying when something just works out when your customizing. What JK body are you running Screamer? Any pics?
Indeed! I’m using the ProLine JKU body for the Summit/Revo. The wheelbase was perfect for the TRX so I didn’t have to change a thing as far as link lengths go. I am running everything MFR makes as well as White Knuckle RC brass lower spring seats and Hot Racing brass diff covers. The front bumper is a Wertymade Hogger bumper for the SCX10 II and it also fit perfect with no mods. I feel like this build went together way too easily because I really didn’t have a lot of trouble getting any of my choices to fit and perform well without a lot of creative thought. I guess that’s a good thing. Even the Promodeler servo fit right into the stock mount without any hassle due to the fact that it’s just a bit wider than most “standard” sized Servos.
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2017, 09:35 PM   #8
rpm
Rock Stacker

I saw that Proline JK shell at my local hobby shop. I did wonder how that would look on a TRX4. Now I know. Thanks for the pics... Are they 2.2's? I toyed around with the idea of running some 2.2 KLR's but couldn't get it to work with the inner fenders. The 2.2's worked on the rear, but the front steering was very limited running the the inner guards.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:41 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Those are 1.9 ProLine Flat Iron XLs on 1.9 GearHead TrailKing EZ-locks. Stuffed with ProLine dual stage foams, they work very well. This body is smaller than the stocker and mounted a bit lower which may be the reason why the tires look bigger. They are also 4.7 tall which is a bit taller than the stock tires.
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2017, 09:44 PM   #10
rpm
Rock Stacker

I was never really into the Defender body and being a JK owner, well there was really only one choice in the body replacement department...

Here's some pics of the progress so far with the Axial JK shell.

It's not finished yet, but a lick of black paint, some wiring and fitting stuff like flares etc, i'll be ready for the tracks.

I've also been building a JK Bomber aswell -Black of course

But i'll save those details for the Bomber section.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed the pics.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:01 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Both those builds look awesome man. I’m a JK owner as well. Just picked up my ‘17 Recon. I grew up on Jeeps and have always loved them, for better or for worse, so my go to body choice is always easy because they are always available. I do understand a lot of the animosity towards the aftermarket body makers by non Jeep fans, but I’m happy as a clam.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:09 PM   #12
rpm
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Both those builds look awesome man. I’m a JK owner as well. Just picked up my ‘17 Recon. I grew up on Jeeps and have always loved them, for better or for worse, so my go to body choice is always easy because they are always available. I do understand a lot of the animosity towards the aftermarket body makers by non Jeep fans, but I’m happy as a clam.
Congrats on the purchase Screamer. Yes as cliche as it sounds Jeeping is a way of life. Once you've had one and had good experiences in them, your hooked. My kids are even hooked, haha... My son has a an Axial JK aswell and I'll be building him a JK Wraith once the trx4 and Bomber has been completed. After that I have a Gelande II that will be converted from a D90 landrover to a China 2 door JK. I just can't get enough of Jeeps...
Old 10-23-2017, 02:50 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Very nice both jeeps look good. Never owed a Jeep but I’ve always admired them.

nosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:58 PM   #14
rpm
Rock Stacker

Thanks nosser. RC cars are expensive enough but atleast the 1:1 rig can give you access to some pretty cool rc terrain not normally accessible by road car.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:08 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

A thread about nothing but jeeps. I love it! Really nice rigs I'm a TJ guy, but those are some nice looking JKs, and your 1:1 looks awesome!

ThatJeeper2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:09 AM   #16
rpm
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatJeeper2017 View Post
A thread about nothing but jeeps. I love it! Really nice rigs I'm a TJ guy, but those are some nice looking JKs, and your 1:1 looks awesome!

Thanks mate

It was RC parts day today... My RPP order finally arrived after being held up in customs. It took about 4 weeks for the order to arrive from RPP to Australia. The quickest I've ever received an order from RPP was 4 days. Anyway I'm happy the parts finally arrived. The biggest thing is receiving the body reamer, so I can finish off the JK shell so I can paint it.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:13 AM   #17
rpm
Rock Stacker

I fitted the MIP Wide Track Kit and I'm pretty happy with the stance so far.

I threw on an old Axial JK shell as it has the flares on it so that I could gauge the width of the tire sticking past the flare. I can go even wider with some Vanquish SLW hubs, But I'm pretty happy with the progress so far.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:50 AM   #18
rpm
Rock Stacker

I also had time to install the new MIP driveshafts. What a nice piece of kit... Very smooth...

Next I'm planning on reaming all the holes in the shell for the flares, cage, mirrors, etc so then I can blow on some paint.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:44 PM   #19
rpm
Rock Stacker

I finally got it all together. All that's left to do is mount the body with magnets and I've ordered a Vanquish light bar and "A" pillar mount.

Considering this was my first body I've ever painted I think it came out pretty good. It was only one color so it was pretty easy not to stuff it up. After I sprayed a couple of coats of black gloss, I followed it up with a couple of coats of black plastidip to protect the paint job.

Here's some posing flex shots. It won't stay this shiny and clean for long

I just couldn't help myself with this shot
Old 11-02-2017, 01:02 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Looks great!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote

RPM's TRX4 JK Wrangler Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM
Wheel Speed - RPM's ??? WiseOneG Newbie General 6 02-15-2009 05:51 PM
Max RPM's on a 55T lathe? clodbrett Electronics 6 01-15-2006 10:40 AM