Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Torn between trx4 and venture !!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2017, 04:37 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Torn between trx4 and venture !!!!!!

I know the trx4 is quite simply superior to the venture in almost every way, but I'm needing a good mudder that will be easier and cheaper to service. My scx10 is a new truck 2 or 3 times over, with new diffs tyres bearings etc servos motors and even a few esc's, now I love it dearly, but am fed up with the slop in everything, now I proper love the trx4 but I spend so much time in mud and dirty water that those portal portal diffs would be in a terrible state in no time. Now the venture (never liked hpi or owned one) seems to be simplicity itself and also nice touches like the alloy chubs etc and 32dp gears..... but it seems so much like the scx10 just a bit better. And I don't know if I'd be happy with it knowing how great the traxxas is. Ideally I'd buy both but my pockets laugh at that idea!
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2017, 06:02 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Torn between trx4 and venture !!!!!!

i own a trx4 love it, but agree with you, id go with the venture for a beater crawler imo. but i can say my trx4 has taken some beatings quite well.but in the end its up to u. imo the venture is a step back as a crawler compared to the trx4.
Skyjacker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:12 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

If you're just looking for something to beat on in the mud, why not a Redcat Everest 7 Pro and save yourself a few bucks?
tuanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:56 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Default Torn between trx4 and venture !!!!!!

I own a 10.2 and never drove a trx4 so take my opinion with grain of salt. I prefer the venture. A few guys have the trx4 in our group. They seem cool but I like the simple setup with a front mounted motor and behind the axle steering link. And seems like a little more work to shorten the wb on the trx4 to get standard bodies on.

But I agree with tuanies. A beater should be cheap. I’d probably get a Carisma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by nosser; 10-30-2017 at 07:01 PM.
nosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:32 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Had the Venture come out around the same time as the TRX-4, I'd have gotten it instead. It would have been my first crawler but I ran into a demo TRX-4 and got obsessed. Preordered it and picked it up a week later. Venture news was vague until now. I just got a Twin Hammers and that's my basher for my TRX-4 to pull on a homemade trailer.

I still want the Venture for it's simplicity but I love my TRX-4. I don't think either one will disappoint you. Just get a new steering servo and CC bec ready if you're gonna crawl.
ksonghasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:44 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Think I'm gonna go down the venture route. I tell myself I'd keep the trx4 for a dry runner but as a friend keeps reminding me I can't pass water or mud, no matter the depth ! So I pretty much think I'm sold on the venture. Difficult decision as I love the traxxas and have 3 in my fleet. Great brand great back up, and this will be my first hip...........
Old 10-31-2017, 05:18 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

The 3 micro servos will drive you mad. I’ve stripped out the rear diff servo 3 times now and the shift servo twice. Now the shift servo is the next servo size up and it’s been fine so far but I had to do some cutting to make it fit. They should have had metal gears in them. My only real complaint with the TRX-4.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:52 AM   #8

HPI delayed the truck for 2 years and raised the price as a reward for your waiting time. **** HPI! Let them go out of business like they should have a long time ago. Buy the Traxxas, Axial SCX10 II, or Vaterra Ascender.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:23 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
HPI delayed the truck for 2 years and raised the price as a reward for your waiting time. **** HPI! Let them go out of business like they should have a long time ago. Buy the Traxxas, Axial SCX10 II, or Vaterra Ascender.
They did go out of business and were bought out......
I saw the trx4 and hpi today in the flesh and whilst the trx4 is far superior it also has so much to go wrong on the muddy trail. So I'm gonna get the hpi. Can't believe I'm saying it myself. I have both scx10 and wraith and am shocked how poor the plastics are. No matter what I'm sure the venture will last better !

Last edited by crazee horse; 11-01-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
They did honour of business and were bought out......
I saw the trx4 and hpi today in the flesh and whilst the trx4 is far superior it also has so much to go wrong on the muddy trail. So I'm gonna get the hpi. Can't believe I'm saying it myself. I have both scx10 and wraith and am shocked how poor the plastics are. No matter what I'm sure the venture will last better !
I'm not sure what you mean, but HPI has long mishandled their business and left their customers hanging even before they were purchased.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:38 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Well since that new Trx4 is coming in 2018, just wait for it...lol. If you have the money buy the hpi, and wait until 2018.
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:54 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

For a die hard mudder and someone who is constantly in water the venture will outlast the trx. I do love it yes, but prefer trail time to wrench time.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:59 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I just wanted to point out the split/clam shell design of the venture axles, they'll likely see water and mud too so I cant say I'd recommend it or the TRX-4 for mudding

Harley designs did a live tear down recently if you want to see the axle design.
Here I tracked it down and found the spot where he opens up the axle

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 11-01-2017 at 06:25 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:50 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for posting that Casey.
I'm not impressed, I think I will stay with my TRX-4 and Ascenders!!!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I just wanted to point out the split/clam shell design of the venture axles, they'll likely see water and mud too so I cant say I'd recommend it or the TRX-4 for mudding

Harley designs did a live tear down recently if you want to see the axle design.
Wow that's old school.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:45 PM   #16
RCC Addict

If I may ask , what's a split/clam design, and whats the axial design called ? Maybe I didn't see right , but when he took them apart, they looked liked 2 halves. Sorry for this question, just learning here.
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:17 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank211 View Post
If I may ask , what's a split/clam design, and whats the axial design called ? Maybe I didn't see right , but when he took them apart, they looked liked 2 halves. Sorry for this question, just learning here.
You nailed it, its just split down the middle, I'm not sure if Axials design has a name.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:38 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I pre-ordered the Venture, but more and more messages about issues with parts and still no date for me.
I cancelled it and pre-ordered a TRX4 Tactical.
Yonzariq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:56 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Thanks for posting that Casey.
I'm not impressed, I think I will stay with my TRX-4 and Ascenders!!!
Ernie

+1 for the ascender. My has seen tons of mud and handled it very well. It and my trx4 are a great set of rigs to have.
AggressorBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post

I agree but they are very simple inside. I'm not knocking the trx4 by any means, I've just chosen to go for the easier to maintain. And it just has to be better quality than axial. I've spent far to much money on my wraith and scx

Torn between trx4 and venture !!!!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No HPI Venture Frank211 General Scale Talk 111 12-14-2017 04:55 PM
My HPI Venture is on it's way... QuesoDelDiablo 1.9 Scale Rigs 86 11-29-2017 04:58 PM
TURBO'S first 1.9 comp venture... TURBOFEST Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 38 03-04-2010 02:06 PM
Another venture. aubie Chit Chat 6 12-25-2005 05:35 AM