Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX-4 First attempt at a "custom" build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2017, 11:49 PM   #1

Default TRX-4 First attempt at a "custom" build

Hey guys,

Brand new to RC vehicles and obviously therefor any type of messing around and customizing them. I come from a vehicle background, and since our winters are long up north so i figured i'd try something new this winter.

Just bought a new TRX-4 and really enjoyed it for a couple of weeks until the bug hit me. I can't leave anything alone - be it my vehicles, golf carts or guns... Stock sucks

So I ordered a Axial Jeep FC body for it (wanted something real different), started on shortening the wheel base and frame (took some thinking there, as there seems to be no help on the old google machine), ordered the TRX light kit, redid the bumpers to make them fit, remounted the inner fender wells and fender flairs to new body, cutup and shortened the stock roof rack. Drilled and ready to mount the lights, after paint, on a body where they don't belong.

Still need to paint and figure out something for rock sliders. Will start my paint job tomorrow, need a good sleep and some time to think about exactly how to paint it (masking etc). Thinking i'll end up with new rims and rubber, shocks and who knows what else.

Hope you guys enjoy.

Db
Attached Images

Last edited by VelocitySk; 11-12-2017 at 07:11 PM.
VelocitySk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2017, 11:50 PM   #2

Default Re: TRX-4 First attempt at a "custom" build

Forgot to mention, little pissed at myself for screwing up those headlight cutouts... I'll need to find some sort of a little metal ring to hide my screw up... Suggestions?

Db
Old 11-12-2017, 12:39 AM   #3
RCC Addict

That looks great!!!! Awesome start, and nice use of the stock parts. The hardware store should have a metal ring you can use for the light.
Let me grab my popcorn for the rest of thè build.

Last edited by rockhugger; 11-12-2017 at 12:41 AM.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:16 PM   #4

Easiest to just get a paid subscription and upload straight shot.
First colour is all painted today, just waiting for last coat to dry. Going to try and get first coat of second colour for the grill and tool box in the back done.
Will post pictures up tmrw. Really been enjoying this "new hobby", i can see ground up builds down the road...

Db
Old 11-14-2017, 10:12 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelocitySk View Post
Forgot to mention, little pissed at myself for screwing up those headlight cutouts... I'll need to find some sort of a little metal ring to hide my screw up... Suggestions?

Db
You could get some cheap dollar store flashlights and use the bezel out of them possibly, It used to be a good way to add the chrome effect behind leds, prior to all the 3D printed goodies.
jhghah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:33 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I've used these Maglite reflectors before with great results, the bulb that fits best is 3mm LED, but I've also drilled them out to 5mm but they can crack easily.

Replacement Reflector - Mini Maglite 2-Cell AA - Accessories
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:55 PM   #7

Well i got around to throwing multiple coats of paint on the body. The window masks went on great, worked out fine. The front grill area, not so much. Not real impressed with myself on both the light cutouts as mentioned before (i'll figure something out to fix this) and the grill paint. I ended up painting both inside like normal and the outside of the body for the grill as well to fix it up some. Still not perfect, but good enough for my first real go at this.

I still need to clean up the wiring for the light kit, which i should mention - i didn't realize the Traxxas kit doesn't have turn signals and brakes / reverse lights. Pretty bummed about that too...

Next up : Shocks and rims/rubbers combo. And rock sliders that fit up against the bottom of the body. Since i'm super newb to all this, any and all suggestions are welcome on the above upgrades.
-Shocks - i have no clue.
-Rims/rubber - I want some beadlocks that won't break the bank. Tires - offer up suggestions. 1.9 or 2.2?
-Rock sliders - no clue where to start here at all.

Thanks for checking it out and the advice forthcoming!
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2017, 09:58 PM   #8

Forgot the mention that these are the links i used to shorten the wheelbase to 11.5" roughly. They are not the beefyness of the stock ones, but worked for now. I'd imagine i'll upgrade once other become readily available for purchase.

Db
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2017, 10:36 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

are the sliders too narrow for the new body, or just too low? if low, it's an easy fix.. longer screws and spacers
ubernewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernewb View Post
are the sliders too narrow for the new body, or just too low? if low, it's an easy fix.. longer screws and spacers
What he said! I raised my sliders 6mm.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernewb View Post
I actually cut them down and angled them to look stock but the issue is when i mount and lift, or flip them over and mount, that the way that the factory ones are made is that they will show/you can view too much hardware inside the body. Just doesn't look right. I'll post pictures tonight or tmrw when i get home.

Db
Old 12-31-2018, 11:24 AM   #12

Thumbs up Re: TRX-4 First attempt at a "custom" build

Nice job lobe the use of the existing scale parts
DBJr is offline   Reply With Quote