Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Do you use the diff features?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Do you use the diff features?

Probably a silly question, but do you guys alternate between settings or just leave your truck in locked ? Same as the high and low settings ? And question number 3, if a servo packs up, do you shift manually and still continue to use your trx4?
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2017, 09:38 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Do you use the diff features?

Yes. And mine don’t work reliably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
subspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:52 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I locked my front diff with JB Weld, and left the rear as is. I still have more than enough steering for crawling and trailing. I love not having to worry about the front Diff servo.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:46 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

i go between locked and unlocked while crawling zero fails so far 30 runs 7600mah 2s
Skyjacker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:32 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Sure. I only lock them, if I really have to. I always try to go as far as possible without locking.
It is also great to watch the tires trying to get traction, spinning and grip again.
GrimmTheTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:56 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmTheTourist View Post
Sure. I only lock them, if I really have to. I always try to go as far as possible without locking.
It is also great to watch the tires trying to get traction, spinning and grip again.
Exactly what I do. I love seeing if I can accomplish things without going to full locked diffs, truck feels a lot happier and nimble. Looks a lot realistic as well in my eyes. I always make a big deal of it as well and announce if I'm going to lock front diff or all four

Last edited by crazee horse; 11-22-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:04 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

True!

- fighting with the obstacle -
"You need help get up there?"
"Nah. I just have to lock the diffs." - drives up -

GrimmTheTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:10 AM   #8
RCC Addict

All the liitle gimmicks, 2-speed lockable diffs, are the reason i got the trx-4 otherwise i would have bought a scx10.2 kit (don't like rtr).

So of cause i use the difflock function and specially on up hill locked front open rear helps not to tumble backwarts

and if the little traxxas servos fail i have bluebird BMS-21HV on the shelf to replace the stock, got them for 13€ each
But so far all servos are happy, instead of the stock steering servo which is now as spare in the shelf.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:17 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Ive got a lot of time on 2 trx’s and am always shifting in and out no troubles yet
solo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:25 AM   #10

Yep! I did pack my rear diff with some CowRC Udder Butter to make it act more like a Limited Slip diff when it was open though. I'm trying to re-create the fullsize Jeep Rubicon experience, the rear in that is a locking limited slip.
Dman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I'll be the odd man out and say I never use the locking diffs or the 2 speed. I pretty much only crawl during competition and I haven't found a reason to unlock either diff. I run a 3300kV Holmes Motor on 3S and it's plenty of wheel speed for climbs and recoveries in low gear.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #12
gaz

Swapped stock radio for a spektrum dx4s, so now I have a locked rear with front switching and I’m happy with that.

Also adjust all the end points on the servos, works a treat.

Other thing I do is always change gear or lock the front diff when standing still if that makes any difference?
gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:38 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

use mine all the time.. mine sees a lot more than just trails tho. local shop has a nice crawler course next to their dirt track, and i'll run it on both for giggles. watching a crawler catch air on the track jumps always makes me (and anyone else who's there to see it) laugh. i also run it on an asphalt track at another local place. i have cars built for both tracks, but sometimes you just wanna goof off a bit.
ubernewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:04 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I forget about it sometimes and think I broke something when I dont see a tire spinning.

When I do remember to use the diff locks, I find some situations where it is beneficial. I dont use high gear very much though.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:26 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

I wondered why one of the wheels wasn't turning lol all my rigs are permanently locked.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:36 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I'm always switching diffs between locked and unlocked on both of my TRX4s. In 50 or 60 7600mah charges I have not had a single shift servo problem on either truck. Normally I run diffs unlocked about 95% of the time and only lock them when I get hung up and need to lock them. I am also in low range the vast majority of the time but hi range is nice when trailing. I recently purchased a hacked GT3C and I thought it would be cool to have separate channels for the front and rear locks but in practice I find the separate diff lock buttons to be kind of a pain plus I can look at the stock TX and see if I'm locked or not with a quick glance at the switch.

Last edited by Inspector86; 12-02-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:59 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I'm a confessed button presser, so I basically geek out over the portals and selectable lockers (that I'll never be able to afford for my 1:1). I like to see how far it will go open/open, then lock it in and move along. I'll lock the front and leave the rear open on sidehills to help keep the rear inline. It's kind of like 4ws, where it's only really as much of a true advantage as the ability of the person operating it. I'm no good at 4ws, but the lockers are a little easier to learn since there is no proportional control. It's safe to say I cycle them a lot, and I've got probably twenty hours on the truck. Overall I find they engage easily and quickly, and surprisingly enough, reliably.

The 2 speed I find useful. It's nice to have wicked decent wheel speed from a RTR setup on 3s, and still have it crawl very well in low gear. Waiting on someone to release a new T-case housing and gears that offer overdrive.

I've got some Kimbrough savers and Hitec 225's here for locker duty when the last of the stockers die. Already converted the trans servo, since I had to rob it to replace the dud rear locker servo a while back. When running it with the dead rear servo, I just rotated the saver to lock it in.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:07 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

As others have said, it's fun watching the wheels spin, flip a switch, and "magically" the truck pulls itself through.

That said, my steering servo finally bit the dust, and the front diff seems to not be responding (the servo works, something with the diff itself perhaps being too gunked up.

I plan over the winter to do a total rebuild anyway: new hacked flysky radio, New digital/metal gear servos that can handle high voltage for the Diffs and shift. Debating between a BEC, or dedicated Rx pack for to power on-board electronics.

That all said, I'd love if "complex" trail trucks continue to be a thing for this hobby. Imagine having a transfer case that can switch between 2x and 4x. You could save a lot of efficiency (and run a smaller battery or increase range of the truck), and as in real life, 2x4 works 98% of the time on the trail, it's the 2% of the time things get hairy you need 4x4. How cool would it be if Radios kept up with the trend? Imagine a shift lever that lets you work through 2H, 4H, and 4L

Coming from the aviation side of the hobby, I can tell you there is a lot more room for complexity on these trucks. Even basic scale park flyers these days run with flaps, retracts, gear doors, lights, and the usual assortment of full house controls. Half the fun of building a plane (to me) is watching that massive tangle of wires, parts, and radio programming come together in a functional aircraft.
AggressorBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:01 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I believe there exists a 2 speed transfer case crawler (GOM, or the MST CFX-w maybe)

I also enjoy the complexity also
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:43 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggressorBLUE View Post
As others have said, it's fun watching the wheels spin, flip a switch, and "magically" the truck pulls itself through.

That all said, I'd love if "complex" trail trucks continue to be a thing for this hobby. Imagine having a transfer case that can switch between 2x and 4x. You could save a lot of efficiency (and run a smaller battery or increase range of the truck), and as in real life, 2x4 works 98% of the time on the trail, it's the 2% of the time things get hairy you need 4x4. How cool would it be if Radios kept up with the trend? Imagine a shift lever that lets you work through 2H, 4H, and 4L .
I'm on board with this! I would love to have a shiftable transfer case to switch between 2X and 4X on the fly. When I installed my MIP drive shafts, just for kicks I took the truck out for a short crawl without the front shaft installed. Even 2x the rear diff was still lockable and frankly I was impressed how far it would go in 2x.

Last edited by Inspector86; 12-05-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Do you use the diff features? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Honcho - any new features? kuwao General Crawlers 12 01-13-2012 10:04 AM
Scale features rockwell Newbie General 0 11-26-2006 12:54 PM
Features for the website Cildein Comments, Suggestions, and Help 1 12-10-2004 01:10 PM