Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Anyone competing with a TRX-4?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2017, 07:20 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Anyone competing with a TRX-4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz View Post
Yeah mate, next one is the g6 event I think in may??

Also noticed your in Oxford, rcbitz is based in Banbury, could be a good thing for you, maybe not on the wallet
Haha, yes I know Martin. Only a 15 minute drive from him - awful!!
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2017, 09:09 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Love to try some smaller 1.9 tires on this truck and my Ascener, set up similar to my old trusty Honcho.
Nate, do you happen to have a build thread for your Honcho?
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:21 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Yes, I do here it is.
Natedog's Honcho kit build
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:45 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Thanks Nate!
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:42 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

I have comped mine plenty, done very well. It is modified some, but not as much as the trucks it was beating.

RC4WD ECSC in Pennsylvania was a large comp. Class 2 had 70 entries, I placed 14th. This was the first time the truck had run at any comp and while I have comped on the 2.2 Mod side for a long time, I had taken nearly 2 years off. Plus since I've done more mods and the truck keeps getting better. Locally it has done top 3 every time with mostly driver causing lower results. Comp event:

Bumper and winch also can see the MFR brass pieces and battery mount change:

For 2018 I'm keeping the truck as is for a trail and local comp truck as scale comps are just starting to get big here so I don't want to come in full Class 2 wild on the new guys. I am building a comp 2 full on build using TRX-4 axles and shocks, the rest will be custom or from some of the great scale vendors like Brazin HiLo Chassis, Dlux Hamberger Trans. It's a slow build but should get moving again after Xmas. Waiting on a few more parts to get it to a rolling phase. Recent image from a poor phone shot:

Test fitting the trans, made some changes and waiting on the new adapter plate:

Last edited by binaryterror; 12-01-2017 at 06:01 AM.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Any idea how the gear ratio of the Hamberger compares to the stock TRX trans ratio? I was planning on using the stock trans but removing/disabling either first or 2nd gear. I have been able to find final drive ratios for the TRX but not trans or axle ratios.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:21 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
Any idea how the gear ratio of the Hamberger compares to the stock TRX trans ratio? I was planning on using the stock trans but removing/disabling either first or 2nd gear. I have been able to find final drive ratios for the TRX but not trans or axle ratios.
TRX-4 gear ratios

Axles (33/11): 3.00
Portals (23/9): 2.55
Trans Hi (30/24): .80
Trans Lo (18/36): 2.00
T-case: 1.00
Spur/pinion (45/11): 4.09

Total Hi gear: 25.09
Total Lo gear: 62.72
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:55 AM   #28
RCC Addict

From what I can find, SCX10 II (kit trans) final drive is 36.4. Looks like low gear on the TRX-4 with 39/16 would be pretty close to that.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:10 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

I just took the internal trans/spur ratio I wanted (45/9) 5:1 and 2:1, multiplied to 10:1 and spoke with Erik at DLUX on how to get the DLUX to that range. He helped me out and let me know the pinion needed. Since the rest remains the same, that's all I was worried about.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:11 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Binary Terrier - love that hi low chassis....
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:40 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Binaryterror if you dont mind me asking how many scale points is your ram?
solo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:52 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo1 View Post
Binaryterror if you dont mind me asking how many scale points is your ram?
The Ram is still mainly a TRX-4 stock truck. Little wheelbase adjustment (all Traxxas parts), moving some items, winch, better ESC and motor.

In the end as shown, it's 31 points. Now with metal front bumper 33 pts. Metal sliders would get it to 36pts, which is about where I'd be fine. This is now just a trail and local comp truck so no need to max out.

The Brazin will be 40-45 points, as it will be a pure comp scale truck.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:43 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
I have comped mine plenty, done very well. It is modified some, but not as much as the trucks it was beating.

RC4WD ECSC in Pennsylvania was a large comp. Class 2 had 70 entries, I placed 14th. This was the first time the truck had run at any comp and while I have comped on the 2.2 Mod side for a long time, I had taken nearly 2 years off. Plus since I've done more mods and the truck keeps getting better. Locally it has done top 3 every time with mostly driver causing lower results. Comp event:

Bumper and winch also can see the MFR brass pieces and battery mount change:

For 2018 I'm keeping the truck as is for a trail and local comp truck as scale comps are just starting to get big here so I don't want to come in full Class 2 wild on the new guys. I am building a comp 2 full on build using TRX-4 axles and shocks, the rest will be custom or from some of the great scale vendors like Brazin HiLo Chassis, Dlux Hamberger Trans. It's a slow build but should get moving again after Xmas. Waiting on a few more parts to get it to a rolling phase. Recent image from a poor phone shot:

Test fitting the trans, made some changes and waiting on the new adapter plate:
Love your build. I'm also thinking of using the Brazin chassis. I've already got it on my C3 rig, and had great sucsess with that chassis.

Looking forward to follow your project.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Well here’s what im working on for the comming year dont have the interior finished yet, not much room for the seats and floor but its comming along i think
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2017, 01:52 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Terror, awesome idea using 2 rulers for setting WB. Ive seen a bunch of different materials people have used but rulers are cheap, no cutting involved and just drill 4 holes and your done.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:03 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Terror, awesome idea using 2 rulers for setting WB. Ive seen a bunch of different materials people have used but rulers are cheap, no cutting involved and just drill 4 holes and your done.
It's part being cheap and part being in this hobby so long. Used to use metal from my old job, but that was super heavy and not cheap for everyone. Ran to Lowes and found these, very thick (1/4" wood) and cheap, I want to say $0.98 each.

Simply cut in about half or exactly half if you can but close works. Then line up and clamp the 2 together in a vise. Drill hole at 1" then the other at whatever you like, mine is 12.3".

I'd love to make better, but I have a hacksaw, dremel, and drill. So sometimes innovation is all I can offer for ideas.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:12 AM   #37
Pebble Pounder

It's been a while since being in the crawling scene after getting into off-road racing. When the TRX-4 arrived at the hobby shop I work at PT, they let me take it out into the Canadian Rocky Mountains for a test run before it was released. Since my daily driver is a trail truck and I have a couple of RC off-rod rigs I thought I'd give it a go. I liked it quite a bit and I'm currently in the process of owning one.

Anywho, what are people doing to soften up the shocks so that the wheels travel more easily? Having said that, is there a way to make it more stable after do so lol?

Last edited by lccguy; 12-30-2017 at 11:20 AM. Reason: post a pic
lccguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:41 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Stock shocks need some time to break in also they are not always properly filled. id run it for a bit and if using the stock body change to somewhere in the 25-30 wt range. With the stock body you dont want it moving too quickly to help keep it from rolling on sidehills

Last edited by solo1; 12-30-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:04 PM   #39
RCC Addict

The TRX4s GTS shocks come filled with 30wt oil and are a bit stiff stock. I disassemble them lube the O-rings with green slime and then leave the O-ring retainer about 1/4 turn looser then they come. I run 10wt in the winter and 20wt in summer. I also add brass lower spring retainers not so much for the weight but more because they cannot come off. Finally, I have switched to the .39 or .30 rate Traxxas springs depending on the weight of the rig. I set the springs with no pre-load in order to get close to a 50% droop in the shock. Very happy with the results. The GTS shocks are great with just a little TLC.

Last edited by Inspector86; 11-30-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:32 AM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Needs a stiffer spring in the rear... does this mean Traxxas makes a line of different spring rates for this shock body?

I wonder if changing up the piston in the rear would also help.
lccguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Anyone competing with a TRX-4? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Competing questions Heavychevy06 Newbie General 3 08-28-2012 11:50 AM
How do I start competing? irokcrawl Newbie General 2 05-03-2012 06:46 AM
Anyone interested in competing in Manitoba? Evandiego North Dakota 3 04-09-2011 08:21 PM
anyone competing in the USRCCA Nationals? ddiaz10240 Chit Chat 3 07-13-2006 08:20 AM