Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX-4 Manual: Don't use lipo's in wet conditions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2018, 12:00 PM   #1

Default TRX-4 Manual: Don't use lipo's in wet conditions

Hi there!
I'm Björn from The Netherlands, and I just received my awesome TRX-4 Defender. I do have some experience with planes and fpv racing quadcopters, but my experience with RC cars is practically 0.

While reading the manual I found 2 interesting paragraphs regarding driving through water:

Not all batteries can be used in wet environments. Consult your battery manufacturer to see if their batteries can be used in wet conditions. Do not use LiPo batteries in wet conditions

Now I thought this wouldn't be an issue. Any thoughts on this? I'm using YellowRC 3S 5000mAh lipo's.

Also found in the manual:

The wheels have small holes molded in to allow air to enter and exit the tire during normal running. Water will enter these holes and get trapped inside the tires. Cover the breather holes in all tires (including the spare) with adhesive tape to prevent possible damage to the foam inserts.

When reading this, my first thought is to simply tape the holes, but why are these holes in the first place? Is there a situation where you would want to have the holes open?

Sorry for my complete noob questions

Thanks
Björn
Björn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2018, 12:19 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: TRX-4 Manual: Don't use lipo's in wet conditions

I have an issue with the holes in the wheels. I personally don't like vented tires. They claim the holes allow air to move in and out of the tire as the tire flexes and supposedly allows the foams to work better. My experience has been that the tires flex and foams work just fine without holes. It is really a personal preference thing.

As for the battery, the way I read the TRX4 manual was that some brands of lipo batteries are not waterproof and they are recommending that you buy waterproof lipos. I just purchased the recommended Traxxas lipos and have not had any issues with them getting wet.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:48 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply and sharing your experience.

I think they might be talking about NiMH batteries that are (sometimes) waterproof according to them. I think "Do not use LiPo batteries in wet conditions" doesn't leave a lot of room for interpretation. I personally don't think it's an issue though.

As for the tires, I don't have any experience yet, but they don't feel less flexible with the holes closed, and I do think the hissing sound of the air escaping through the holes is a bit stupid, so I'll just leave them taped permanently I think.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:49 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

All my lipos get put in large party balloons when I'm driving in mud and water. I just leave the connector hang out the opening and put a small zip tie around it with a blob of dielectric grease to seal the opening. Not waterproof, but certainly water resistant.
EZCompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:15 PM   #5
RCC Addict

i have got my lipo's several times wet or better submarine them no issues. Some i used plastidip to seal them some not no difference just better feeling.

normally the cells are waterproof just the cell connectors could may be a issue and oxide. i use zippy and turnigy soft pack lipos from 2 to 3s ( 1000mAh - 6000 mAh ) in my rigs they are cheap and reliable for me so far.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:19 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post

As for the battery, the way I read the TRX4 manual was that some brands of lipo batteries are not waterproof and they are recommending that you buy waterproof lipos. I just purchased the recommended Traxxas lipos and have not had any issues with them getting wet.

You might read it that way, because they wrote it that way, but it isn't true. By design all lipos are air proof and water proof. If water either as a liquid or air containg moister comes in contact with the cells of a lipo, a runaway chain reaction starts. That's why lipos go poof when popped.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:42 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Your fine in water, all.mine are regularly submerged. However keep.them well away from salt water because that will kill them pretty quickly.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:22 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Fresh water is fine if connections are prepared, salt is not.

They're just covering their ass
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post

They're just covering their ass
That's what I suspected. Thanks for all the answers!

TRX-4 Manual: Don't use lipo's in wet conditions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How should i maintain my truck after running in wet conditions? Tfree2014 General Crawlers 10 12-05-2015 10:19 AM
lockers and winter conditions losikid Chit Chat 43 10-19-2011 06:48 AM
What motors for wet conditions?? mindless General Scale Talk 7 02-25-2011 08:53 AM
best tires for hot conditions? gabbyv Tires and Wheels 1 03-28-2010 07:40 AM