Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Steel and aluminum axle housings?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2017, 10:53 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Steel and aluminum axle housings?

Has anyone noticed the metal TRX4 axle housings for sale on ebay for $25? The ad says they weigh 120g each. I see they have both front and rear housings available. Anyone tried them and what are your thoughts. I also see aluminum axle housings and I'm wondering what people think of those as well. Has anyone upgraded to steel or aluminum axle housings yet?

Last edited by Inspector86; 01-04-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2017, 11:47 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Steel and aluminum axle housings?

Steel axle housings sound nice, heavy and slide pretty well over rock. Aluminum is heavier than plastic, but not as heavy as steel and slides poorly over rock, avoid aluminum axle housings.

Edit: just went and searched, Xstraspeed steel housings in black or silber $28.90shipped, I'd try that, but are they really steel or pot-metal? Steel would be much better, but good pot-metal should be ok.

Last edited by Natedog; 12-31-2017 at 11:51 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:47 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Steel axle housings sound nice, heavy and slide pretty well over rock. Aluminum is heavier than plastic, but not as heavy as steel and slides poorly over rock, avoid aluminum axle housings.

Edit: just went and searched, Xstraspeed steel housings in black or silber $28.90shipped, I'd try that, but are they really steel or pot-metal? Steel would be much better, but good pot-metal should be ok.
There's no way that the housings are machined steel. CNC time costs money, and we already know how much a similar machined aluminum housing costs...

Besides that a decently hard steel would be very costly to precision machine at this size and level of detail...
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:40 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Castings of course either way, they seem to be doing mostly well under SCX10ii, however nothing is un-breakable. There are several threads on those.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:30 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post

One of the manufacturer in China ( RCRUN )told me their axles were made by Cast zinc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:24 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Cast zink is basically another name for pot metal. That would make sense, at that price point you sure would not get high quality machined steel. The question I would want to know is if the metal they use is stronger or less brittle than the factory plastic.

Last edited by Inspector86; 01-01-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:44 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Cast zink is basically another name for pot metal. That would make sense, at that price point you sure would not get high quality machined steel. The question I would want to know is if the metal they use is stronger or less brittle than the factory plastic.
Enroute Berg, for those who comp crawled the entire axle tubes and gear case halves were pot metal cast aluminum. I'm still on my very first set of gear cases, never broken even after grinding them down for clearance and such.

Done right a zinc casting can be fine. If they laser scanned a TRX4 housing and made that exactly in pot zinc its going to be plenty thick. and following a molded plastic part the casting should be very good. The real question is more just the material being used than the design or casting process.

I am buying a front housing only for my Comp built TRX4 just incase I need some weight beyond the SSD portal boxes.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:10 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I got the aluminium axle housings from TFL on my trx-4.
I primary bought them because of the looks, I'm no competitive crawler. When it comes to the weight of them a buddy of mine did take some pictures while putting them on a scale:
Here they are in the box:

The weight of the original plastic front-housing

And the aluminium front-housing

The rear original housing

And the TFL housing for the rear axle

And here they're mounted on the trx, I really love them so far!
sickpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Steel and aluminum axle housings? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Xtra speed steel axle housings? Spence Axial AX10 2nd-gen 2 05-10-2017 05:06 PM
Why no derlin or steel axle housings? theTman General Crawlers 9 03-18-2017 06:21 AM
Housings: plastic verse aluminum or steel m1009cucv Axial SCX-10 15 06-09-2015 05:27 PM
aluminum axle housings? desertmaxx Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 0 02-22-2012 05:36 PM