Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: sickpuppys TRX-4's life up north..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2019, 06:15 AM   #381
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: sickpuppys TRX-4's life up north..

FYI, I'm now thinking of selling the Defender..
Man I love the sport!! Selling the Defender with all hop-ups and bodies(except the Hummer), and then buy the 6x6 and built a bad-ass trailer to use as a trx-4 sport-trailer..
BTW, pictures of the finished sport is coming after I've had some food and a shower. I got almost 3hrs sleep last night, haha.. I'm mentally 6 years
sickpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2019, 07:19 AM   #382
Quarry Creeper

So.. This weekend I've had the pleasure of having a friend from my homeplace visiting.
First of all he was coming to calibrate and install a new amplifier in the home cinema.
But since both of us also drives trx-4's we took his sport and my Defender v2.0 out for a drive.
And boy did we have fun! We didnt film anything, but took some photos that I've allready shown. It was quickly established that the Sport is a FAR better climbing truck than my Defender, not a surprice taking the weight of my top-heavy partially 3D-printed body into consideration. So I took some hits on my freshly painted Defender, and you know what counts after getting the first scrape..? Then it's all in! And yeah, thats how it went on furter.. So allready while driving in the "wilderness" some parts came loose off my Defender. But hey, it never was intended to be a shelf-queen

After the session with driving freely we got to think that maybe we should try out the different sets of tires we had between us..
So we drove to the local skateboard-park and occupied the pool-bit to try and climb the walls there.
We pretty early found out that this test was nothing realistic at all, since after getting some wheelspin in the smooth concrete surface at last the friction coefficient pretty much got the same on every tire due to microdust sticking to the rubber making not a lot of friction on the concrete..
But one tire did actually stand out, and this short video shows that the SuperSwamper with Predator compound did just get a little more grippy than I was expecting.. hehe..
https://youtu.be/v19YlKkFvt4
Old 09-01-2019, 12:54 PM   #383
Quarry Creeper

So, here's a lot of pictures of the sport before I start driving it and make too much scratches on it..
This is the setup as for now:
ESC - Castle Creation Mamba X
Motor - Castle Creation 2280kv slate 1900 BL sensor motor
Servo - JX CLS-HV7346MG 46KG HV High Precision Steel Gear Digital Coreless Servo
Axles - GRC Aluminium housings, for the looks
Driveshafts - MIP Traxxas TRX4 HD Driveline Kit 12.3" - Bomb Proof

So far it is the original body, I only swapped out the red towing hooks for some black ones to keep it black and blue as far as possible.. After these photos I've actually painted the inside of the body matte black, because I hate to take pictures from a low point of view and the white backing from traxxas shines at me.. So, that's that..

But now, let's see some pictures!

Last edited by sickpuppy; 09-01-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:13 PM   #384
Quarry Creeper

This is my first time setting up the electronics from scratch in a car, I'm actually quite satisfied myself. The only thing I'm a bit bummed about is that the sensor cable is a bit too long.. But I made it work..

I 3D-printed a holder for the Mamba X so I could use the stock screws and holes for mounting that, I hotglued the powerswitch-cord in a way that it would follow the ESC if I take it out of the chassis.
I think I'm going to take off the fan from the Mamba X aswell. I dont think thermal problems is an issue in a crawler like this.. It will make it look a bit tidier, but for now this is ok.

Mine to the right.. ;)

If you pay some attention you can see that the axle housings I've mounted actually pulls the lower mounts for the shocks closer out towards the wheels, wich makes it a bit more stable than the stock ones.
But just remember, I bought them just for the looks.. So if they give any performance leverage, that is just a bonus
Old 09-01-2019, 01:17 PM   #385
Quarry Creeper

And here we are, brothers in arms!

It was a total blast having him over this weekend, I miss my old friends from my hometown. So finding the time to invite him over and he had time to come visit was just perfect. I've enjoyed every darn second of it!

Old 09-02-2019, 01:21 PM   #386
Quarry Creeper

So I've gotten a lot of questions about the driveability or should I say crawlability with my brushless setup.
And when I say that it crawls very good and slow, I've always gotten "ah, but you got the low gear, it cant compare"..
But now I actually can compare, and I did compare the sport this weekend, so get this..

My setup:
Motor - BrushLess Castle 2280kv vs my friends HH Trailmaster PRO 550
ESC - Castle Mamba X vs my friends Hobbywing Quickrun 1080wp
Pinion - My stock 17t vs my friends 10t
Spur - My stock 39t vs my friends 45t
TX - My stock traxxas vs my friends Flysky nb4 Noble

So with this setup and all the videos and reading about how more controllable the brushed systems are up against the brushless..
I call BS!
The brushed system couldn go nearly as slow as I did! Yes we were both on 3S, yes I had some studdering in the slowest speeds(speeds that the brushed system anyway couldn't come close to) and at last but not least YES I could run in circles around him on full speed..
At his lowest speeds my ride was just as smooth as his was, and my ride was smooth even in speeds below his lowest speed..

I am thinking of making a video on that topic. Just make a background that has millimeter and inches marked up, with a stopwatch so everyone can see how many seconds it takes to drive 100 millimeters.

I know there is a lot of hardcore brushelowers out there that are gonna hate on that idea, but then make a comparable video, or even better come "race" me..!

Off course we should've filmed it yesterday, but that was the last thing we tested before Espen(my friends name) had to leave, so we did it just for personal reference and we both got surprised by the outcome..

So stay tuned for the future for a video on that.
And also I'm thinking of what to do with the Defender-chassis for the future.. Should I part it up and sell it bit by bit, should I refurbish it and make it mint before selling it, should I keep it for spares, or keep it and make it shine like never before..? IDK, for now I'm going to play with the sport for a while, and then time will show what happens to the old one..
Old 09-05-2019, 07:15 AM   #387
Quarry Creeper

Haha, got this url from a friend today.
This was just too cool to be true!
https://gimbaltest.com/gopro-on-feiy...-trx-4-rc-car/
Old 09-07-2019, 09:52 AM   #388
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: SiCkPuPPy's TRX-4 with a Hummer H1-body.

This is not something I planned for..Damn eBay..! Look what I got!

So the people making these lovely axel housings..

They also make weights that is supposed to fit right on the portals.. So I ordered a set to check if they did..

And it looks promising.. I'll give them that..

And what a fit! They slide right in place, just like my grandpa into my gr... Oooh, DARN those pictures.. GO AWAY!!!

From the outside you can just see the golden shine..

And yeah, it is a tight but perfect fit!

They even came with some extra weight if wanted..

But those came too far out, it did hit the screws on the inside of the beadlocks..

Ok, I might test out with wider hexes some time in the future.. But for now these ones is not beeing mounted, but at least it's nice to know that there is an alternative that allows for mounting even more weight.. :p

Last edited by sickpuppy; 09-07-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:08 PM   #389
RCC Addict

Once u see it, u cant UNsee it lmbo! Therapy may help for those images, hahaha

Those weights fit nicely. Definantly goina help keep u planted to the ground

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:58 PM   #390
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Once u see it, u cant UNsee it lmbo! Therapy may help for those images, hahaha

Those weights fit nicely. Definantly goina help keep u planted to the ground

Haha, it's so true!! And sooo sad, and it's gonna be expensive.. coz those therapy lessons isn't cheap, are they..?(maybe cheaper than the trx6 I've ordered..?)

And yeah, looking forward to test out the brass, I may go out for a test tomorrow if the weather is ok.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:00 PM   #391
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy View Post
Haha, it's so true!! And sooo sad, and it's gonna be expensive.. coz those therapy lessons isn't cheap, are they..?(maybe cheaper than the trx6 I've ordered..?)

And yeah, looking forward to test out the brass, I may go out for a test tomorrow if the weather is ok.
Atleast the trx6 will be WAAAAAY more fun than those therapy sessions n less annoyin than the therapist themselves lol

indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:01 PM   #392
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Atleast the trx6 will be WAAAAAY more fun than those therapy sessions n less annoyin than the therapist themselves lol

True that!
The first annoying thing with the 6x6 is that I dont know when I get it..

Sent fra min SM-G965F via Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2019, 09:32 AM   #393
Quarry Creeper

This is just too true..

Old 09-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #394
Quarry Creeper

So, part one of three when it comes to big updates.
Seems like the sport chassis fits perfect on this one, now I just need something to pull this weight with.. and something to steer with..

Last edited by sickpuppy; 09-18-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:00 PM   #395
Quarry Creeper

Cant wait for it to arrive

Last edited by sickpuppy; 09-19-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:45 PM   #396
Quarry Creeper

How do you like they hyrax tires? How do they compare to size to the stock trx4 tires? Is there just one size of them, does look like in one of your pics 1 set looks bigger than the other truck.
83trekker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:34 AM   #397
Quarry Creeper

So while I'm waiting for the 6x6 to arrive, I had to at least get a photo of the rig as it stands today..

Old 09-21-2019, 04:37 AM   #398
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83trekker83 View Post
How do you like they hyrax tires? How do they compare to size to the stock trx4 tires? Is there just one size of them, does look like in one of your pics 1 set looks bigger than the other truck.
I do like the hyraxes, but I like the super swamper even better, and the pitbull rock beast xor competes with the super swamper..

They do come in at least two different sizes, but if they look like different sizes in my pictures that would be a optical delusion, we run the same size
Old 09-21-2019, 02:14 PM   #399
Quarry Creeper

Can anybody help me with this..

I think that I may have over-volted my original receiver on the trx-4 sport..
After driving it for a little less than an hour since it was new it started to get ticks. Meaning the steering would on its own just steer to the left, full on, without me touching the steering wheel.
If I picked up the truck and while driving the wheels forward and turning the truck upside/down the wheels could also just turn full on to the left..

Could this be because of over-voltage to the receiver?
Because today I connected the castle b-link to the mamba x and found out that it was running 7.4Volts. I turned it down to 6Volts immediately, cos I think I remember that these receivers doesnt operate over 6V, or am I wrong?

Anyway, could this overvoltage actually be the reason for my steering to get all weird like that?
Old 09-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #400
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy View Post
I do like the hyraxes, but I like the super swamper even better, and the pitbull rock beast xor competes with the super swamper..

They do come in at least two different sizes, but if they look like different sizes in my pictures that would be a optical delusion, we run the same size
thanks, which super swamper you like?i see a whole bunch of different swampers
83trekker83 is offline   Reply With Quote

sickpuppys TRX-4's life up north.. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Your TRX-4 Viewing pleasure...Kisun's RC Life ScoJac Scale Videos! 2 08-06-2017 11:58 AM
ultra 4's at superlift orvpark ROLANDROCKSHOP Chit Chat 4 10-15-2012 05:35 PM
HPI Micro RS-4's ridepate Non Crawler RC's 4 02-12-2012 01:17 PM
Underground Crawlers Fastback and FF-4's at Haulover DickyT Videos! 22 08-31-2010 03:58 PM
All the new 2.4's slobin3d Electronics 8 09-07-2009 06:16 AM