Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Sway Bar Opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Sway Bar Opinions?

I know it's not scale looking, I know it's not seen on a lot of comp rigs, BUT how functional would it be?

I'm guessing that with a soft shock setup and the proper sway bar setup, the TRX-4 would have a decent wheel travel response and side hill stability.

I'm just curious about what others thought?

https://teamdc.net/products/dc-1-10-...-wire-dc-90426

lccguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2018, 10:02 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Sway Bar Opinions?

As a matter of fact I just installed that very sway bar kit a couple of weeks ago. I was unimpressed with the installation procedure since they do not provide any instructions and to date I still don't know what the hook looking parts are for. I had to study the pictures on their web site in order to get the kit installed. But once installed it seems to work pretty well. I have only used the narrow bar and I feel is it a good compromise between excessive body roll and free articulation. I have not had an opportunity to do any side hilling yet but I expect that to be improved. The bar did not seem to have any detrimental effect on the rock crawling ability on my backyard course.

Last edited by Inspector86; 01-13-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I have yet you buy anything for my build so far. I'm just collecting knowledge first. Waiting out the testing of others before spending my cash. I have a lot of reading to do lol. I'm sure my extensive parts list will change over time.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:21 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The TRX-4 has almost no torque twist due to the portal axles so IMHO a sway bar is likely overkill. This rig is pretty amazing in the way it pulls a straight wheelie without any visible torque twist (to do this requires 2nd gear, locked diffs and a surface with traction)
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #5
RCC Addict

The first upgrade you should plan on is a new steering servo. I'm running the Savox 1230SG and have been pleased with the performance.

Last edited by Inspector86; 01-13-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Wheelies are kind of irrelevant with respect to the sway bar, or maybe the sway bar is irrelevant to doing wheeles. Either way that is not why I installed the sway bar on my TRX4. I have been in situations where I have had to traverse an extended distance of side hill and the body just sort of leaned down hill more and more as I drove and eventually I had to head uphill to keep from falling over. THAT is where I hope the sway bar will help out.

Last edited by Inspector86; 01-13-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
The first upgrade should you should plan on is a new steering servo. I'm running the Savox 1230SG and have been pleased with the performance.
Yeah, I noticed this right away. I did an unboxing and a demo video with PM Hobby Craft and I noticed that for just trail riding the servo was okay, but once you got into the rocks it didn't stand a chance with anything serious.

Now that I own one, it will be my first performance upgrade without a doubt. I plan on crawling as much as I want the scale look. It's going to be a struggle. Thank god I have a crawler to keep me happy with actual crawling.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:45 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Wheelies are kind of irrelevant with respect to the sway bar, or maybe the sway bar is irrelevant to doing wheeles. Either way that is not why installed the sway bar on my TRX4.
You misunderstood, I only mentioned wheelies in regards to torque twist (the way it does it shows off the lack of torque twist), roll bars are often installed to combat torque twist and as this truck really doesn't have any I thought it was worth a mention.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-13-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:49 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
You misunderstood, I only mentioned wheelies in regards to torque twist, roll bars are often installed to combat torque twist and as this truck really doesn't have any I thought it was worth a mention.
Body roll is a result of torque twist, which sway bars help with, and it's the body roll that's still the issue here... it's just body roll due to gravity due to the heavy body.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:07 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lccguy View Post
Body roll is a result of torque twist
Wait before we get off in the weeds here body roll and torque twist are 2 totally different factors.
And Im not saying its not top heavy, I'm just speaking to 1 piece of the puzzle, torque twist.

So think of a drag car as it launches, the left front tire lifts first followed by the right, this is the "twist"
Loud clip warning https://youtu.be/-x25cW59QLk?t=23s

Carry on

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-13-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:15 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

If you steer when moving the servo isn't bad at all. I've had mine a while and no problems. Submerged regularly.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:03 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Wait before we get off in the weeds here body roll and torque twist are 2 totally different factors.
And Im not saying its not top heavy, I'm just speaking to 1 piece of the puzzle, torque twist.

So think of a drag car as it launches, the left front tire lifts first followed by the right, this is the "twist"
Loud clip warning https://youtu.be/-x25cW59QLk?t=23s

Carry on
I understand the difference, but we aren't talking 1:1 cars here.

Here we are dealing with an RC that has a lot of weight up top. Torque twist isn't an issue with the TRX-4. In every RC application that I know of, off-road racing included, sway bars are used to control body roll, which is why I brought up the topic.

On it goes...we have 4wd, so some weeds are okay

Sway Bar Opinions? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vp Currie Sway Bar vs Axial Sway Bar Biomedchad Axial RR10 Bomber 1 02-15-2016 10:05 PM
sway bar muddeprived General Crawlers 9 09-12-2007 09:57 AM