Notices

Thread: OSRC's TRX-4 Defender "Greybeard"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2018, 02:16 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: OSRC's TRX-4 Defender "Greybeard"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedUpDiesel View Post
...Did you just scuff the roof and use regular lexan paint? I am definitely going to tackle it. But after seeing yours, I am debating on painting the entire thing. J
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Yes, exactly. It's holding up very well.

I was debating painting the whole thing, but the window stickers make it more trouble than it's worth IMO. Plus, I like the gray.

Same way I external paint my rc and holds up great! Nice pics.

Last edited by Natedog; 08-13-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2018, 06:05 PM   #22

Thanks OSRC. I am going to do white and see how it turns out. But who knows, might turn into something more.
TunedUpDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:29 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Mini update on Graybeard. Still running stock electronics, and so far so good. Shifts smooth, and diff locks working perfect. Even the steering servo has held up though it's been getting the absolute heck beat out of it....amazing given how heavy this truck is.

I usually run this truck as a second truck when I run 2 on the trail since all my others are on my GT3B radio - this is the only one I have on a separate radio. So it gets quite a bit of trail time. For this week, I swapped on some PL TSL's and Gearhead wheels - little more aggressive tire for the muddy conditions.

As usual, ran most of the day with the diffs unlocked, only locking up when I had to, which wasn't too often. With the weight of this pig bearing down, the TSL's gave incredible traction pretty much everywhere. I might have to leave these on here.

Open diff climb... unreal.

Posing with my Sawback...didn't get many pics, I was having way too much fun.

Only issue is I still get LVC a little too early. I noticed it seems to happen when I use second gear a lot. The first pack was on easier trails and a hill climb, and I used second a lot. The 3800 pack only lasted 1 hour or so. On the second pack I stayed in first gear most of the way picking my way uphill through a creek bed and the battery lasted much longer. I wonder if running second gear is pulling too much current from the battery? In any case, plan to drop to a 9t pinion for a little more torque which should help. If not, I might look into an ESC swap.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:04 AM   #24
RCC Addict

I'm getting 90 mins plus out of my 2200 & 110 mins from my 2650. That's all low gear crawling. I very rarely use 2nd & when I do it's usually to right side my truck. Gray beard looking good like the new tires!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:06 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Got another nice 5 hour run in yesterday and the TRX-4 is still going strong. Zero issues mechanically, the diff lock and shift servos are still working just fine, and the stock steering servo is hanging in there. It does seem like it's loosing some power though. Was never really super strong to start with, but it seemed weaker yesterday. Might be on the way out, but it hasn't failed yet.

Left the TSL's since I knew it was going to be quite muddy and the truck did great as always. No problems in the mud, and went everywhere I pointed it. Only needed to lock the diffs 2x - it's not a super challenging trail and I managed most of the tricky spots with tire placement and weight balance. This truck is soooo much fun to drive.

Forgot my real camera, so my crappy phone pics will have to do.

I'm on the fence about the suspension. I was thinking it had a bit too much flex and was debating limiting it 5-10mm, but it's pretty stable, and that flex does come in handy. Decided to leave it alone for now.

Back at the truck...job well done.

I do have a 9t pinion to install, just haven't gotten around to it. The LVC did kick in again way too early. That's incredibly annoying! Enough that I'm going to pick up a 1080 to replace it, and probably going to swap out the servo while I'm in there. I think the TSL's - while they work great - are a bit fat looking under the truck. I plan to swap over to a set of Vaterra TSL's as they are a bit thinner and should fit the stance a bit better.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:14 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

New shoes for the TRX-4. Some Vaterra TSL's with CI foams on Proline Rims. Not a huge fan of the wheels, but they do work great with the bead on the tires. I think the narrower tire looks much better under there than the wider PL TSL's.

On a side note, I finally swapped in the 9t pinion and it sounds like a blender. I put it in the proper holes in the motor mount (A) but it was so tight the drivetrain barely turned. Went to the B holes and it spins free, but sounds terrible. Not overly happy with the stock motor mount setup, with fixed positions it should be a no brainer. Think I'll be looking to upgrade.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:13 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Who makes the 9t pinion you put in? Is it a stock traxxas part? I wanted to do this but now unsure.
83trekker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:36 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Yes, traxxas 9t pinion.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:07 PM   #29

I have the Traxxas 9t pinion in mine and haven't had any issues. Interesting to read your issues. I wonder what is different.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
MADPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:19 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

I went to buy it from my local hobby store and they suggested anoth brand saying that the traxxas ones is not very good compared to the other. It was only a dollar more. But out of stock as usual and waiting for it to come in.
83trekker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:44 PM   #31

Awesome read! Similar experiences with my truck as far as the low voltage cutting out early so I already swapped out for a Hobbywing 1080. Only other issue I had was the steering servo and the rest have been improvements. You should definitely get the light bar if you do any evening running because it puts out so much more light than the headlights do. Nice to see the results you are having with the tires since that is something else that i am debating on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
freakinjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:53 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Some Vaterra TSL's with CI foams on Proline Rims. Not a huge fan of the wheels, but they do work great with the bead on the tires. I think the narrower tire looks much better under there than the wider PL TSL's.
Nailed it on tire wheel combo, looks great! I like the machined aluminum Proline beadlock version (like not love) but their prices are crazy so I havent' bought them to try out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinjeeper View Post
Similar experiences with my truck as far as the low voltage cutting out early so I already swapped out for a Hobbywing 1080. Only other issue I had was the steering servo and the rest have been improvements. You should definitely get the light bar if you do any evening running because it puts out so much more light than the headlights do.
I prefer nice headlights and some red rocklights front and rear, plenty bright enough to crawl and hike without additional light (always carry headlamp just in case) ime lightbars are usually too bright, glare off the body and blind drivers.

Last edited by Natedog; 08-13-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #33

It definitely is bright, won’t argue that, but it does make it so you can see a lot more. I do have the rock lights also and like them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
freakinjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:12 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

I never run at night, so I skipped on the trail bar and rock lights.

I love the look of the Pro-Line Forge wheels as well, but that price is ridiculous
Old 09-27-2018, 04:13 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Sorry in advance for the crappy cell pics. Think I dropped my phone too many times - has a hard time focusing lately.

Anywho, fixed my gear mesh issue, Drilled out the A holes (LOL) with a 4mm drill bit to allow the motor to slide up a touch, and added some aluminum tape under the motor bearing support and now all is well. I do have an aluminum motor mount on the way, so I had no qualms about hacking up the stock one. I didn't actually expect it to work, but it's fine. Huh.

Added some graphics...kinda like the Camel Trophy trucks, but not really. I just used some old decals I had in the pile. Wasn't going for anything scale per se, just thought the gray looked a little plain.

And played with tires a bit. Vaterra TSL's are for the muddy trails, the Gladiators are more for easier trail runs. I stuffed them with PL dual stage foams - they feel great.

I did bite the bullet and ordered a WP1080 and servo.....a "Magetic Induction" 400oz. servo. I'm in uncharted territory here. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited by OSRC; 09-27-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:49 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Finally decided to make some changes to the Beard. The steering servo was still working, but was starting to get noticeably weaker. Decided to upgrade the servo, ESC, and a new motor mount.

Not sure what it is with this truck, but it always gives my camera fits when trying to focus. Having trouble with the awesomeness I suppose. Servo is a HK 'magnetic induction' servo with 400+oz of torque. Standard torque numbers I'm sure for most guys, but I usually never run anything that powerful. Uncharted territory here!

After an hour of ripping it apart, soldering, and tucking in wires, got everything sorted out. The motor mount seems like it solved my meshing issues - I have the 9t pinion in the correct holes and feels nice and smooth.

Wow...it's a whole new truck! The Servo does this strange thing where it kinda freaks out when there's no load on it (like when I pick it up) but it's smooth and super strong when on the ground. Not sold in this new fangled magnetic induction - if it's not broke, don't fix it. But it drives fine, so it'll stay. Power with the 1080 feels much better...the Traxxas ESC must have a softer power delivery...maybe it's just in my mind, I don't know. Now the 9t pinion feels a bit too slow, might have to play with it.

Gotta love portals. Only truck that can straddle my 2x4 ... makes making the turn on top of my ramp super easy.

Walking around the course. Very planted and surefooted. The old RC4WD tires really do well - lots of contact patch.

Didn't make it up the ballbreaker, but no truck does. I need to redesign this ramp as it's all but impossible.

I'm debating selling my SCX10v2 and getting a TRX4 Sport. This truck impresses the heck out of me whenever I drive it...I'm thinking a version set up more towards performance would be killer! hmm...
Old 10-06-2018, 08:37 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Great thread! Do you guys ever crawl around Lancaster or Hershey?
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:04 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

I've never gone out that way myself. I believe the EPA crawlers swing out that way once in a while.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:48 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Great thread! Just read it from start to finish. If you’re looking for a scale looking tire check out the Pro-Line BFGoodrich All-Terrain KO2 1.9” G8 Rock Terrain Truck Tire. It looks great on the G-Made S02 wheels and they hook up pretty well on most terrain.

Last edited by Tossedman; 10-13-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #40
Rock Stacker

Realy like the white roof. Nice touch and sets it apart. I may do that to
mine.
GForceSS is offline   Reply With Quote

OSRC's TRX-4 Defender "Greybeard" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 First attempt at a "custom" build VelocitySk Traxxas TRX-4 11 12-31-2018 11:24 AM
In Stock - New MyTrickRC Attack LED Light Kit w/ 5" Light Bar for TRX-4 Defender! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 10-11-2018 12:32 PM
Traxxas TRX-4 versus "The Wall" driftomaniacs Scale Videos! 0 06-12-2017 03:24 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM