Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: OSRC's TRX-4 Defender "Greybeard"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2019, 07:43 AM   #121
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: OSRC's TRX-4 Defender "Greybeard"

Made a few additions to the Beard before the next trail run... Swapped the low profile SSD bumper for a winch mounted one. I have a couple of Warn winches laying around, so why not get one mounted up? The fairlead and controller are en-route, so it's decorative for the moment.

Takes away a bit from approach angle, but it's really not as bad as I thought it was going to be

Added a servo guard as well... not that the servo takes a beating, but it's fall, I'm going to be chugging though the leaves and brush, and it helps keep sticks and what not from getting stuck in the chassis. That's the theory anyway.

And trail time! Knowing it was going to be in the upper 20's when we started, I swapped over the BFG's for my Deep Woods... the Duratrax compound seems better suited for cold temps - the Axial BFG's are kinda hard even on a warm day. We went out on about a 3 mile loop....when we started, there was plenty of frost on the ground - like a frozen tundra.

Gotta get a morning shot with the sun still low on the horizon. Love these pics, backgrounds like this keep me going during the winter months.

The truck was - in a word, awesome. I lost sight of what I like with this platform for a while. I was chasing performance and kinda got away from what I really like. Going back to the Defender body gave me a rollicking ride with the heavy body up top - I had a ball with the diffs open shifting the weight around trying to get traction. (I'm still stunned where this truck can get to with open diffs.) Went down the trail picking my path, locking diffs where needed, and shifting gears when the going got technical. I don't need it to be anything more than what it is - just an excellent trail truck. Very happy with it back as a Defender.

OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2019, 09:08 AM   #122
wyd
Rock Crawler

Awesome as always. Great looking truck. I still like my Durtrax Deep Woods and Show Downs. I switch them on and off along with my Hyrax and Rock Beasts. For whatever reason of all the stuff I do crawling I just happen to have a tire fetish. Sometimes I feel like I'm back racing off road and need lots of times. One thing I really like about crawling is when I raced I always like running stuff that wasn't as main stream which was a problem sometimes but in crawling I can run my non mainstream stuff (My Carisma Coyote) and it's not a problem. I like the fact in crawling not everyone runs the same things which is refreshing to me.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:56 PM   #123
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
And trail time! Knowing it was going to be in the upper 20's when we started, I swapped over the BFG's for my Deep Woods... the Duratrax compound seems better suited for cold temps - the Axial BFG's are kinda hard even on a warm day. We went out on about a 3 mile loop....when we started, there was plenty of frost on the ground - like a frozen tundra.
I would say we had another great day. Yea the temps were a little cold but all the walking helped. According to my health app in my phone, we did 4.3 miles.
Daycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #124
I wanna be Dave

Thanks WYD... it's funny you say that, we had an astonishing variety of trucks out yesterday. Capra, TRX4's, an Enduro, a CR01, an SCX10, a VS410, a Sawback, and two custom rigs that I'm not even sure what they were, I didn't have a chance to ask. Absolutely none of the snobbery you get from the racing scene, met a bunch of new guys over the weekend and everyone was relaxed, helpful, and I think the number one question was "How do you like....." Such a good time. Most likely running again next weekend if the weather holds. Got to get it in while you can!

Daycrawler: really, over four miles? That's amazing, I was totally guessing on the 3 Mile Loop but I would guess that's close to right then. Time flies when you're having fun!
Old 01-02-2020, 07:33 AM   #125
I wanna be Dave

Took the Defender out for a nice 3 hour tour and it's running like a champ. Really, it's set up for trail running but I took a lot of pics of it climbing over stuff. It's still fairly capable, but what makes it fun to drive is it is usually a challenge to get up and over some of the stuff my other rigs climb right over. It's a ton of fun getting the weight set, watching the tires dig in, and claw its way up and over, bobbing and weaving that tall heavy body the entire way.

There's a nice little hill climb buried in there...

Love this pic with the wrinkled tire.

After 3 hours....muddy, well used, and ready for the next round!
Old 01-02-2020, 07:42 PM   #126
Rock Stacker

Good to see you got out. The TRX is looking good!
Daycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

OSRC's TRX-4 Defender "Greybeard" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 First attempt at a "custom" build VelocitySk Traxxas TRX-4 11 12-31-2018 11:24 AM
In Stock - New MyTrickRC Attack LED Light Kit w/ 5" Light Bar for TRX-4 Defender! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 10-11-2018 12:32 PM
Traxxas TRX-4 versus "The Wall" driftomaniacs Scale Videos! 0 06-12-2017 03:24 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM