Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Inexpensive sensored motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2018, 11:59 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Inexpensive sensored motor

Hello,

Just wondering if a 1/8 motor would fit?
that seem to be the less expensive option I have found so far with a sensor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SkyRC-Toro-...-/182996897934

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GoolRC-High-Performance-4274-2250KV-Brushless-Motor-for-1-8-RC-Car-H0L3/132374795090?epid=9003954769&hash=item1ed2271352:gkAAAOSwhlZYs~aK

as far as ESC I was looking at something like this:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/tracksta...s-car-esc.html
only down only 2s capable.

I seen others ESC but they don't mention drag brake so I am not sure if that a feature.

Thanks.
arevir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2018, 12:16 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Inexpensive sensored motor

Not sure I would run brushless in a TRX4, and 1/8 scale motor is going to find some weak points in the drivetrain. If your looking for a budget friendly brushed setup, I would suggest the below.

Castle Creations 1/10 SV3 Sidewinder 12V ESC Waterproof

Brood 35T Intensity
Team Brood Racing :: Crawler Motors :: Machine Wound Motors :: Intensity

or
Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster Expert 540 35T Motor
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinart24 View Post
Not sure I would run brushless in a TRX4, and 1/8 scale motor is going to find some weak points in the drivetrain. If your looking for a budget friendly brushed setup, I would suggest the below.

Brood 35T Intensity
Team Brood Racing :: Crawler Motors :: Machine Wound Motors :: Intensity

or
HobbyWing WP 1080 is better and costs less than the SV3 IMO, but good choice on the motors.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
HobbyWing WP 1080 is better and costs less than the SV3 IMO, but good choice on the motors.
What kind of truck setup and size lipo have you ran with the WP 1080? Seems crazy cheap, I have not heard much about them. Sounds like a good budget option.
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:34 PM   #5

Quote:
What kind of truck setup and size lipo have you ran with the WP 1080? Seems crazy cheap, I have not heard much about them. Sounds like a good budget option.
There's a big thread on here about them. They are gaining popularity quickly.

I have run them on 2S and 3S in anything from my 7lb Vaterra Ascender to a lightweight, Tamiya M-07 on-road car.

EDIT: Here are the two biggest threads on RCC:
Hobbywing Quicrun Waterproof 1080 Brushed Crawling ESC
Anyone using the Hobbywing QUICRun WP 1080 ESC?

I have a feeling the SV3 is going to be forgotten and discontinued by Castle with the release of the SV4 which is significantly more expensive.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 01-24-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:43 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I've run both a SV3 and 1080 in my 10.2 and I like the 1080 better. Not only is it cheaper, but it has a much smaller footprint and functions better overall...

Will be my go-to brushed ESC from now until something better comes along...
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:19 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the brush setup but I thought you get better perf with a brushless system.

So I guess the 1/8 can fit but would be to much?

What about a 2pole motor?

I also found this brushless sensored ESC from Hobbywing
QUICRUN-WP-10BL60 60A
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-Q...4383.l4275.c10

Look good maybe same perf as the 1080.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:03 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Our local crawler fans like to use this Hong Kong brand: Team Powers

Budget and yet good in performance and quite reliable.

Team Powers XPS EL V2 45A Brushless ESC w/ LED program Card #TP-XPS/EL V2 - 45A,

for 1/10 RC #TP-BLM-215100AC-V2-2100, ,(TP-BLM-215100AC-V2-2100) by Team Powers 21.5 Turn 2100KV Actinium V2 Brushless Sensor Motor
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:26 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Arevir, what's "better performance"? Brushed is smoother than any sensored system I tried out. You get more power with a brushless, but if you want to go fast you bought the wrong truck!
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:33 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Yes, for no doubt brushed motor is the smoothest. but bear in mind, you got to service your brushed motor( Change brushes and com lathe ) For trail truck ( If you are not going to comp ) then brushless motor is the top choice in my humble opinion.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by arevir View Post
Thanks for the brush setup but I thought you get better perf with a brushless system.

So I guess the 1/8 can fit but would be to much?

What about a 2pole motor?

I also found this brushless sensored ESC from Hobbywing
QUICRUN-WP-10BL60 60A
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-Q...4383.l4275.c10

Look good maybe same perf as the 1080.
That ESC you linked is for brushless motors. The 1080 is for brushed motors.

You have to decide if you want brushed or brushless. What's most important to you?
Old 01-25-2018, 07:17 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by arevir View Post
Hello,

Just wondering if a 1/8 motor would fit?
that seem to be the less expensive option I have found so far with a sensor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SkyRC-Toro-...-/182996897934

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GoolRC-High-Performance-4274-2250KV-Brushless-Motor-for-1-8-RC-Car-H0L3/132374795090?epid=9003954769&hash=item1ed2271352:gkAAAOSwhlZYs~aK

as far as ESC I was looking at something like this:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/tracksta...s-car-esc.html
only down only 2s capable.

I seen others ESC but they don't mention drag brake so I am not sure if that a feature.

Thanks.
Ebay has some $22.00-$25.00 sensored 1/10 motors that would work, they are in blue cans. like this one https://www.ebay.com/i/281958327758?rt=nc

I spent some extra and bought a Castle Mamba X esc, think the motor was going to be something to get it going then tossed in the parts as a spare. I was really surprised at the result. After some adjustments in the esc that cheap motor creeps ahead with absolutely no cogging. It has definitely encouraged me to do 2 things. First invest in a quality motor that is crawler specific and second being moving forward I will be running brushless.

For me not being any top tier competitor, the startup between this set up and my 1080 with a 35t motor is not noticeable. I would even go as far as saying it is so much better, because I was able to adjust the throttle curve to make it work for my trigger pull.

I think one of the best parts of the cheapo motor is given the price I was not concerned about breaking it. First thing I did was open it up, water proof the board, then Loctite in grub screws in the open mounting hole, and add dielectric grease to the opening between the board and the can.

I have run it submerged in water several times, no issues and on inspection no water. I am not claiming it is now water proof, but I would say that it is water resistant enough to not worry about it.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:17 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

That ESC look like a great deal. the motor on the other side dont seem like it at that price point. The castle is only like $9 more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninomaniac View Post
Arevir, what's "better performance"? Brushed is smoother than any sensored system I tried out. You get more power with a brushless, but if you want to go fast you bought the wrong truck!

In my mind it was longer run time, not having to worry about changing brushes. But in this case as slow speed is used a lot that why the sensor.
The goal was not to be fast.
But there is a youtuber running 6S. I guess it could handle the 1/8 on 3s the question would be would that one fit but it also have a 5mm shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
Yes, for no doubt brushed motor is the smoothest. but bear in mind, you got to service your brushed motor( Change brushes and com lathe ) For trail truck ( If you are not going to comp ) then brushless motor is the top choice in my humble opinion.
that, I wont be in any comp. I have not hear of any here in the South near me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That ESC you linked is for brushless motors. The 1080 is for brushed motors.

You have to decide if you want brushed or brushless. What's most important to you?

Sensored Brushless, I mentioned the 1080 as it was also mentioned to be a great inexpensive setup. So I figure the 1060 would be as reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Ebay has some $22.00-$25.00 sensored 1/10 motors that would work, they are in blue cans. like this one https://www.ebay.com/i/281958327758?rt=nc

I spent some extra and bought a Castle Mamba X esc, think the motor was going to be something to get it going then tossed in the parts as a spare. I was really surprised at the result. After some adjustments in the esc that cheap motor creeps ahead with absolutely no cogging. It has definitely encouraged me to do 2 things. First invest in a quality motor that is crawler specific and second being moving forward I will be running brushless.

For me not being any top tier competitor, the startup between this set up and my 1080 with a 35t motor is not noticeable. I would even go as far as saying it is so much better, because I was able to adjust the throttle curve to make it work for my trigger pull.

I think one of the best parts of the cheapo motor is given the price I was not concerned about breaking it. First thing I did was open it up, water proof the board, then Loctite in grub screws in the open mounting hole, and add dielectric grease to the opening between the board and the can.

I have run it submerged in water several times, no issues and on inspection no water. I am not claiming it is now water proof, but I would say that it is water resistant enough to not worry about it.
dint see those before, they seem like a great deal to pair up with the team powers XPS EL V2 45A ESC or the hobbywing 10BL60 ESC
- I linked the wrong one before this is the one with a sensor board
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-Q...4AAOSwA3dYcH9V

Inexpensive sensored motor - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basic (inexpensive) Decent Sensored Motor/ESC ? dnadrifter Axial Yeti 23 08-03-2015 09:21 PM
Sensored motor and non sensored esc?? Turtlejon Electronics 1 09-19-2014 12:19 AM
Sensored Motor and NON Sensored ESC. Timmahh Electronics 7 12-11-2008 09:21 PM