Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Are there any *good* aluminum diff covers yet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2018, 07:30 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Are there any *good* aluminum diff covers yet?

As the title states. I saw STRC had some diff covers available, but then they vanished from the STRC website, and after trying them I know why: The design was defective and they cause the diff-lock mechanism to bind-up.

I really like SSD's diff covers on my SCX10 II and my Ascender. They add a good amount of armor to the diff pumpkin, and protect the lower edge of the diff pumpkin from being eroded by smacking into rocks. I wish I could get something similar on my TRX-4, but I don't want to buy cheap no-name diff covers made of a soft alloy.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2018, 10:35 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Are there any *good* aluminum diff covers yet?

Weird how there's not at least 5 different kinds of diff covers out by now, I'm waiting for a couple as well. SSD will hopefully get us fixed up soon...HINT HINT!!!
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:13 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

A friend of mine uses the brass ones on rpp can't remember the brand. And they work fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Evo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:18 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo93 View Post
A friend of mine uses the brass ones on rpp can't remember the brand. And they work fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Probably the Hot Racing one
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:14 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Xrtra Speed Alloy, GPM has a Brass and Alloy version out.
Maybe some other ... but good ....
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:39 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I've seen the brass ones. It's an interesting idea, but I'd prefer aluminum for this specific job. I already put brass parts in places where they won't get whacked into rocks.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:08 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I'm surprised Vanquish, BGR Fab and the likes have not offered more support for the TRX. There's a lot of money to be made.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
I'm surprised Vanquish, BGR Fab and the likes have not offered more support for the TRX. There's a lot of money to be made.
They'd be silly not to support the TRX-4. I don't think it will take many years before the TRX-4 becomes the best selling scale crawler of all time.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:30 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Traxxas pretty much had to build a crawler like the TRX-4, because they were entering into a market so saturated with good options that they'd have no chance of turning a profit on their R&D if their vehicle was merely comparable to the other popular platforms. Other platforms have the benefit of already having years of compatible aftermarket parts to increase their desirability. Really the only feature the TRX-4 has that you can't buy for the other platforms is the remote-locking diffs -- everything else, including the portal axles, is already available, and I figure everyone who wants them has already installed them. But it will be interesting to see how Axial responds when they get around to releasing their third-generation scale crawler. I wonder if it will be more feature-rich like the TRX-4 is, or more pared-down and purist?
Old 03-30-2018, 12:27 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

RC4WD just released ARB aluminum diff covers, to me they look like the best option so far though I'm not a fan of the color.

If you like them get em while they're in stock , lol
Old 03-30-2018, 02:24 PM   #11
RCC Addict

They look nice. Gotta remember the portals mean there is significantly less diff clanging. The TRX sails over most trails where as my SCx was like....thud....thud....thud/stop. Haha.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:13 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Nicest looking aluminum option so far (hopefully the bearing fit is nice and not sloppy), but needs more aluminum thickness down low, like the SSD Ascender diff covers. If and when SSD or somebody makes really good covers like that I'll buy them, until then the stock plastic have done well.
Yeah I'd prefer a bit more heft too, and I wasn't paying attention to the bearing caps being built into the cover that fitment is pretty crucial.

I'm hoping SSD or LURC puts out a nice chunky diff cover eventually
Old 03-30-2018, 06:00 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I'm not sure I would want an aluminum diff cover given how aluminum does not slide like SS or nylon. Considering how inexpensive the stock TRX4 plastic covers are I think I will just replace them periodically.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:26 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Generally I agree with you, but even soft, sticky aluminum can prevent the leading edge of the plastic diff case from being damaged by rocks -- something the stock plastic covers can't do. Anyway, I don't foresee the diff covers doing much sliding, since I don't drive my trucks with the diff-covers facing down.

My experience with my SCX10 II and my Ascender has been that only the lower edge of the diff cover actually gets whacked on rocks, and that's exactly where I want to have some reinforcement.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 03-31-2018 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:11 AM   #15
RCC Addict

UPDATE: STRC revised the design of their diff covers for the TRX-4, and I can confirm they fit correctly without interfering with the diff-lock mechanism. Probably a good idea to buy them direct from STRC to make sure you get the new version. The new ones are distinguishable by a raw machined area on the inside of the diff cover, where they sent the diff covers back to the factory for modification.

I still wish SSD made diff covers for the TRX-4, though. I really like their design with an integrated bash-guard/skidplate in the lower half of the diff cover.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I like the "Looks" of this one but i have ZERO experience with who XtraSpeed is or what to look for in the design. Still a TRX4 Noob.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xtra-Speed-...19.m1438.l2649
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:24 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I've seen those before. They do look good. In fact, they look so similar to SSD's diff covers for different vehicles that I wonder if the same factory manufactures SSD's parts. However, I'd rather have it in silver-anodized or raw aluminum instead of black, because that won't show scratches, and I have no idea whether XtraSpeed uses an aluminum alloy nearly as hard as SSD uses. I was quite impressed the first time I tested SSD's diff covers on my SCX10 II, because after intentionally smashing the front diff into rocks during a test run, I saw no dents or gouges, only surface scratches.

For now I'm going to stick with STRC's diff covers for my TRX-4, because I have similar experience with their aluminum alloy for other parts, such as the steering knuckles on my Wraith, which have taken an almighty beating in the past 4 years and haven't bent at all.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:40 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
I've seen those before. They do look good. In fact, they look so similar to SSD's diff covers for different vehicles that I wonder if the same factory manufactures SSD's parts. However, I'd rather have it in silver-anodized or raw aluminum instead of black, because that won't show scratches, and I have no idea whether XtraSpeed uses an aluminum alloy nearly as hard as SSD uses. I was quite impressed the first time I tested SSD's diff covers on my SCX10 II, because after intentionally smashing the front diff into rocks during a test run, I saw no dents or gouges, only surface scratches.

For now I'm going to stick with STRC's diff covers for my TRX-4, because I have similar experience with their aluminum alloy for other parts, such as the steering knuckles on my Wraith, which have taken an almighty beating in the past 4 years and haven't bent at all.
Great feedback. I have only ran VP, the TCS/STRC and RC3WD diff covers and have been happy all. VP did seem a little more soft then STRC TBH and the RC3WD was the worst but looked the best.

Anodizing is never a concern for me now. 15min soak in Grease Lightning and i'll pay 50% less for say Green that never sells, strip it to raw or paint it Orange. My color choice is Orange, Raw, Blue, Black or you get stripped.

I like the look simply because of the scale bolts. As you stated if the Alum is made from petrified dinosaur chewing gum it is worthless to me. I will hold out for SSD or LockedUp to make a steel diff cover but if not i am glad there are options like STRC. If the RC3WD ARB made a set with scale bolts id D-Ano that in a minute.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 12:15 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
As the title states. I saw STRC had some diff covers available, but then they vanished from the STRC website, and after trying them I know why: The design was defective and they cause the diff-lock mechanism to bind-up.

I really like SSD's diff covers on my SCX10 II and my Ascender. They add a good amount of armor to the diff pumpkin, and protect the lower edge of the diff pumpkin from being eroded by smacking into rocks. I wish I could get something similar on my TRX-4, but I don't want to buy cheap no-name diff covers made of a soft alloy.

Cchand makes some, check out the cool pictures here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:21 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote

Are there any *good* aluminum diff covers yet? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aluminum diff covers Pabust Axial SCX10 II 9 12-22-2016 01:51 PM