Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Wheelbase Opinion?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2018, 08:41 PM   #1

Default Wheelbase Opinion?

Hey folks,
Long time lurker, usually in the SCX10 section, but the last half year or so I have been drooling over the TRX4. I picked up a SCX10 G6 kit a little over 4 years ago and it has served me well with just a few upgrades (7955TG steering servo, SSD steel beadlocks & Proline Hyraxs, and metal tranny gears), but it's starting to show its age, and I would like to get something with a little better clearance; those original Axial axles are no joke. We tend to spend all of our time on the rocks with very minimal trail running.

I am planning on picking up the TRX4 kit sometime this week, but I was hoping to hear some feedback about the 12.3 vs 12.8 wheelbases. I fully understand the advantages and disadvantages of wheelbase length, but wouldn't mind hearing opinions from those who have tried/experienced both? How much does the added portal height offset the extra 0.5" wb?

My G6 kit is slightly shorter at 12" and it works well enough. I am planning on running a JK body to match my 1:1 and I don't know if I should extend to 12.8 for the Proline body or keep the kit wb at 12.3 and run the Axial SCX10.2 JK body.

TLDR; How does the 12.8 wb affect crawling performance?
theMANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2018, 09:14 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Wheelbase Opinion?

I’ve got a G6 (12.0) now sitting on a 10.2 chassis. I’ve also got the TRX4 kit (12.3) and one of my sons has a TRX4 sport with the short to long wheelbase kit installed (to 12.8 ) with the Proline JK body. They all go pretty good, can’t really say the wb makes or breaks any of them.

I will say however, that having first hand experience with all listed above, the TRX4 Sport is by far the best bang for the buck out of the box. I’ve got the single speed kit, pinion/spur gears, and spools to turn my kit into a sport, just haven’t done it yet. I’ve had the rear axle spool locked since building the kit and only play with locking the front in/out just because it’s there - don’t really need it. The two speed tranny doesn’t light my fire either. I mean it’s ok, but again, just because it’s there. My boys Sport goes just as good, everywhere we crawl / trail as my kit does. If I bought a new crawler tomorrow, it’d be the Sport.
number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:59 PM   #3

Default Re: Wheelbase Opinion?

I have a different opinion than number9, I personally really enjoy the high gear on my truck for when I'm just tearing around, and at the higher speed, the diffs need to be unlocked to reduce rollovers. I realize this is a bit off topic.

I have a Bronco (12.3), my buddy has the Defender (12.. His truck does seem to hang up just a bit easier in the center, but it is not substantial. His turning radius is slightly larger, again, not a deal breaker. His biggest complaint is the lack of body options at the 12.8 WB. The Defender body is super top heavy, so replacing it is an easy way to boost performance, but there are only a couple options. The 12.3 is quite common on the other hand.

I will agree with number9 that the Sport is probably the best bang for your buck when it comes to crawling ability (out of any brand of crawler). New tires, rims, & servo, and it is a fantastic starter comp truck. Very easy to go Class 1 by simply putting 4.19 Hyrax tires on it, while still having good axle clearance with the portals.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
niggemannb is offline   Reply With Quote

Wheelbase Opinion? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will a Vanquish link set meant for a 12.3" wheelbase SCX10 fit a 12" wheelbase? Derekuda Newbie General 1 08-10-2015 06:10 AM
your opinion hende Non Crawler RC's 7 05-14-2010 01:29 PM
Can i have your opinion please ? Alli 2.2 Scale Rigs 8 09-16-2009 07:20 PM
opinion on wheelbase and tire size?? yukon635 Chit Chat 1 03-03-2008 05:03 PM