Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Ebbet's Bronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2018, 06:08 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Ebbet's Bronco

So this happened yesterday.

Got it out of the box and first impression was that it was big! Could be that I've been playing more with 1/10 on road carpet cars lately. But it looked enormous!

I started to look it over. Overall, very impressed with the details. But, being a bit of a perfectionist, I started to notice a couple things that bothered me. The sunrise stickers weren't applied very well. On the passenger side, the sticker was not parallel to the chrome molding.

The strap over the roof overlapped the side graphic on one side but was overlapped on the other.

I've contacted Traxxas, admitting to them it might be petty. But is it? I spent $450 on this thing! Is it petty to expect better?

We'll see what they have to say.

Anyway, below are some additional detail photos. Also added some photos of the wheel hub in case anyone was interested. They just screw on.

Can't wait to get her out on the trail and get some nice photos in her natural habitat.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by ebbet; 02-28-2018 at 06:49 AM.
ebbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2018, 11:29 AM   #2

Default Re: Ebbet's Bronco

Little details like that, while petty, would also drive me nuts. Definitely let us know what Traxxas says.

I didn't know the covers just screwed on. Thanks for the tip!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:13 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Little details like that, while petty, would also drive me nuts. Definitely let us know what Traxxas says.

I didn't know the covers just screwed on. Thanks for the tip!
Yeah, I'm anxiously awaiting their reply. It'll be interesting to see what their response is or if they even offer up any kind of remedy. We'll see, but I'll be sure to advise the details.

When I first saw the wheels I thought "How do you get to the nut?" (not a question I really ask too often!! )

They work like the Axial hubs that used to come with some of their kits.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:09 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

So I normally run a full size 3 cell battery in my rigs, usually situated over the front wheels or perpendicular to the ladder frame and low. Not much of an option in stock form on this Traxxas Bronco. As I was going through my batteries, I came across this 3 cell battery. Shown next to my standard 3 cell battery for comparison's sake.

Each of the squares on that board is a centimeter. It's about 102mm x 34mm x 26mm.

It seems to nestle down in the front recess quite well. It leaves a little gap between the plate and the battery, but for the most part fits well. I just need a strap to hold it in.

That is about all I've had time to do, and change out the Traxxas plug for a Dean's plug.

I did go ahead and put a couple redneck stickers in the rear window.

That's all for now.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:40 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I didn't know those stickers were redneck.. what are the two dimples on the back for??? and finally, a 5 lug plastic nut cover. now my jeep, vaterra bronco, and losi yota will have the right lug pattern!
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:04 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
I didn't know those stickers were redneck.. what are the two dimples on the back for??? and finally, a 5 lug plastic nut cover. now my jeep, vaterra bronco, and losi yota will have the right lug pattern!
The dimples are for a yet to be released spare tire mount.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:19 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Still no response from Traxxas. Not sure if it's because they don't care to respond or if they just get that many emails that they have not gotten to mine. Anyone else have any experience with emailing support at Traxxas? How long did it take for them to respond?

I'm seeing some others do some really neat things with there, whether through custom vinyl stickers or paint. Part of my dilemma is that I bought this specifically for the sunrise theme. I also have to understand that any rock rash will likely destroy the stickers. Maybe I just leave well enough alone.

Hoping to maybe get her out tomorrow for an inaugural run.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbet View Post
Still no response from Traxxas. Not sure if it's because they don't care to respond or if they just get that many emails that they have not gotten to mine. Anyone else have any experience with emailing support at Traxxas? How long did it take for them to respond?

I'm seeing some others do some really neat things with there, whether through custom vinyl stickers or paint. Part of my dilemma is that I bought this specifically for the sunrise theme. I also have to understand that any rock rash will likely destroy the stickers. Maybe I just leave well enough alone.

Hoping to maybe get her out tomorrow for an inaugural run.
Email responses often take a couple of days because Traxxas, like most people, are inundated with emails. Phone calls usually get immediate answers.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:46 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

So got to looking at this body a bit more. Still love the body, but Traxxas' quality control is not good. Maybe they were just rushing to get these to market.

Below are pics of front trim from drivers side and passenger side.

Notice anything? The drivers side has the wrong trim piece! It angles back when it should angle forward to match the line of the light bezel. The passenger side angles properly. Again, disappointing. Maybe a call into Traxxas might be in order rather than waiting on their email response.

Then again, maybe I just need to take it out and trail it and not worry about. OCD won't let me let it go!!!

Old 03-03-2018, 11:45 AM   #10

That would annoy me as well, especially in addition to the sloppy decals. This isn't a $30 toy. Hopefully Traxxas takes care of you.
nyy845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:38 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Finally got her out! Went to a local rock park. Pretty gnarly terrain that is unforgiving when you take a tumble. Can scratch up or bust up a body pretty good. After one or two tumbles, you have a tendency to just not care as much. So I just wheeled her and let what happen happen.

She does pretty good! Way better than the Defender TRX4. Not nearly as top heavy. Tires grip really well for RTR tires. This is certainly not a comp truck as is. That's not to say you couldn't make it that. But this is a super fun trail rig!

Overall happy! Looking forward to getting her out again!

Old 03-03-2018, 08:35 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Looks great flexing with mud all over it!
You can only baby it so long before you stop caring so much and just start enjoying running the truck.
Stewdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:36 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Got out for about 45 minutes yesterday for a short run on some dirt piles. Continue to be impressed with this thing.

Not sure what my first upgrades will be. I'm curious about the rear underdrive gearing and the SSD portal covers look great. I'm sure eventually I'll get some new shoes for her but I love the look of these chrome wheels too much right now.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:19 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Did you try and call Traxxas yet? That would irk me too! I would hope in the very least that they send you the trim pieces and new stickers to put on yourself.
I also hope they put out a sticker kit for the sunburst truck, so you could reapply the stickers if they get all tore up on the trail. It would be cool to be able to change the look of it with just some new stickers too.
Stewdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewdog View Post
Did you try and call Traxxas yet? That would irk me too! I would hope in the very least that they send you the trim pieces and new stickers to put on yourself.
I also hope they put out a sticker kit for the sunburst truck, so you could reapply the stickers if they get all tore up on the trail. It would be cool to be able to change the look of it with just some new stickers too.
I contacted Traxxas initially about the sticker application on my new Bronco. They did respond concerning that. I replied regarding the trim pieces but have yet to hear back (all email correspondence). In there initoal response they did advise they would send me a new sticker sheet once they were available, but I need to jump through some hoops to have that happen. Based on their willingness to replace the stickers I'd think they would also be willing to replace the trim, but we'll see.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:16 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

So this came up on Jato's thread about standard Rock Beasts (not XL's) on the Bronco. Thought id share on my thread, as well.

They might be a touch small, but they are growing on me. This is something to consider as I will likely upgrade wheels and tires eventually. I like the sizing of the stockers at 4.6. Most tires choices are either much bigger or far too small. Not many choices right at 4.6. If you know of any, please advise.

Standard Rock Beasts on top and stockers on bottom in photos below.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:59 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I like the smaller tires IMO.. The stock RTR tires make the Bronco look like a mud bogger. Mine will be getting smaller tires when I get around to it. I'll be lowering the body too.

Cool lookin rig for sure. Performs good too.
SMFtwstdHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbet View Post
So got to looking at this body a bit more. Still love the body, but Traxxas' quality control is not good. Maybe they were just rushing to get these to market.

Below are pics of front trim from drivers side and passenger side.

LOL.

I got two lefts on mine. I called Traxxas and they are sending me a set as soon as they have them in stock.
Sluggo2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:17 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggo2u View Post
LOL.

I got two lefts on mine. I called Traxxas and they are sending me a set as soon as they have them in stock.
Did Traxxas give any indication when that might be? I bought the kit & it’s waiting on the Bronco Body. I figure they should have them available about the same time as they have warranty parts available.
txbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:32 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggo2u View Post
LOL.

They are going to do the same for me!!

Ebbet's Bronco - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ebbet's TRX4 ebbet Traxxas TRX-4 24 09-10-2017 12:56 PM