Originally Posted by BRENDEN J View Post
Savox

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
X-2
Zippy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:33 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Servo

My SW0231 jitters at neutral and when barely touching the steering, CC BEC on stock ESC as well as on my HW1080. Doesn't like centering sometimes too, don't get it.
ksonghasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:44 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I am running a Spektrum S6230 in mine, and have had no problems at all. I actually have a few of these running in different crawlers. Plenty of power, no unexplained shakes, and they are quiet. It has taken a beating and just keeps on going. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
slickwill16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:06 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwill16 View Post
I am running a Spektrum S6230 in mine, and have had no problems at all. I actually have a few of these running in different crawlers. Plenty of power, no unexplained shakes, and they are quiet. It has taken a beating and just keeps on going. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Ill check those out traxxas sent a new stick one and savox sent a replacement , but I dont want to have to change it out when traling .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
BRENDEN J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:59 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I'm running the Savox sw1210sg and love it, it's been great. No problems running it. But I'm still running the stock electronics on it. The stock servo was still working good but lacked in torque. But the stock one went in my parts box as a back up while I'm on the trails.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:05 AM   #9
RCC Addict

the 0231mg is too weak for the trx, that's why it gave up.
Max torque 120Nm/cm on 6V, i'm happy with mine but i use it as shift servo on my yeti

get a stronger servo and your problem should be solved ...
I use a Holmes HV 500 v2 in mine very happy with it but there are also other options out there that are suitable for a trx.
for example without add. wheigts, i used the power hd 20kg waterproof worked well. till i put to much weight on the axle
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I agree your servo is too weak for steering use. I run the Savox SA 1230SG in both of my TRX4s, one running the stock electronics the other running a Mamba X and I have not had a single servo problem in nearly 150 hours of combined run time. The SA 1230SG is rated at 500oz/in at 6v. By comparison your SW 0231MG is rated at 166oz/in at 6v.

Last edited by Inspector86; 03-12-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:03 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I recommend a minimum of 250 oz-inch of torque for the steering servo in a TRX-4 (300-350 is even better). If you can find one in stock, the Holmes SHV500 is perfect. It has a JST power input that plugs right into the auxiliary plug at the ESC and feeds straight off the battery (2S or 3S) without using the ESC's internal BEC (which is weak) or needing an external BEC. Tons of torque, super fast, and super quiet. If you can't find one of those in stock, the Holmes HV500 paired with a BEC would also be excellent. Other choices I've used that would work very well with an external BEC are the Xpert 6000 and 7000 series servos (6000 has a little less torque and more speed, 7000 has more torque and a little less speed) The Savox 1210 and RC4WD Twister Ultimate High Performance servo both are very reliable, but not as strong as the Holmes and Xpert servos. They're still fine for trailing and light to moderate rock crawling, but not the first choice for hardcore rocks or comping. Reef's RC is relatively new and has a couple of servos that also would work well with an external BEC. So far, reviews on the Reef's servos have been good and they've been holding up well for friends of mine that are running them, but I've yet to try one myself. Hope that helps!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:17 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
I recommend a minimum of 250 oz-inch of torque for the steering servo in a TRX-4 (300-350 is even better). If you can find one in stock, the Holmes SHV500 is perfect. It has a JST power input that plugs right into the auxiliary plug at the ESC and feeds straight off the battery (2S or 3S) without using the ESC's internal BEC (which is weak) or needing an external BEC. Tons of torque, super fast, and super quiet. If you can't find one of those in stock, the Holmes HV500 paired with a BEC would also be excellent. Other choices I've used that would work very well with an external BEC are the Xpert 6000 and 7000 series servos (6000 has a little less torque and more speed, 7000 has more torque and a little less speed) The Savox 1210 and RC4WD Twister Ultimate High Performance servo both are very reliable, but not as strong as the Holmes and Xpert servos. They're still fine for trailing and light to moderate rock crawling, but not the first choice for hardcore rocks or comping. Reef's RC is relatively new and has a couple of servos that also would work well with an external BEC. So far, reviews on the Reef's servos have been good and they've been holding up well for friends of mine that are running them, but I've yet to try one myself. Hope that helps!

The Holmes SHV500 works without damage on 3s?..If so i should be ok as i am using a Zippy 3s lifepo4 4200.
willygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:58 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by willygee View Post
The Holmes SHV500 works without damage on 3s?..If so i should be ok as i am using a Zippy 3s lifepo4 4200.
Yes...I've been running my SHV500 directly on 3S since I got the TRX-4 last year with no issues. It's a great servo.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:42 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Yes...I've been running my SHV500 directly on 3S since I got the TRX-4 last year with no issues. It's a great servo.

Direct connection w/no BEC...i'm soldI wonder if it is rebuildable?
willygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:01 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by willygee View Post
Direct connection w/no BEC...i'm soldI wonder if it is rebuildable?

Yes, Holmes sells replacement gearsets for his servos:

https://holmeshobbies.com/electronic...o-gearset.html
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:17 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Sorry to dig up and old post, but I need to replace the stock servo in my TRX Bronco after it failed. There are already lots of posts about swapping servos but I keep going back to the Holmes SHV500 due to being able to plug into the AUX plug at the ESC. But I also have a light kit--how can I keep that plugged in if the servo uses the AUX plug? Will a Holmes RX bypass adapter allow me to use both?

I'm not 100% sold on the Holmes servo either (mainly due to its cost--I think it's a great servo but I have more than one TRX here to mod). I've also read about the Hitec 7950 and Savox 1230SG. Seems like their both great servos but it's my understanding that finding a servo horn for the 24T Hitec is a problem--is that still true or is there an arm available now? As for the Savox, I've been told it's quite noisy and I'd like to keep my rig as quiet as possible. Above all else, whatever solution I go with I don't want to install a BEC.

Last, are their any other parts I need to order like a servo arm, servo extension, servo mount (Bowhouse RC or Yeah Racing), etc? I'm putting my order together on RPP right now and want to get everything at once if possible.

So what should I do?

Thanks!
RCTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Servo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C.I. - Servo Guard - Servo Clamp - Servo Mount - Annoucement Nova's Ark Crawler Innovations 10 05-07-2015 01:25 PM
***Crawler Innovations Engraved Servo Guard-Servo Clamp-Servo Mount GIVEAWAY*** Nova's Ark General Crawlers 106 10-20-2013 02:16 AM
***Crawler Innovations Servo Guard-Servo Clamp-Servo Mount GIVEAWAY*** Nova's Ark General Crawlers 228 07-12-2011 01:17 PM
***Crawler Innovations Servo Guard-Servo Clamp-Servo Mount GIVEAWAY*** Nova's Ark General Crawlers 266 04-01-2011 02:18 PM
Crawler Innovations Servo Guard - Servo Clamp - Servo Mount GIVEAWAY!!! Nova's Ark General Crawlers 219 10-18-2010 12:43 PM