Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: brass front end parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2018, 07:05 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default brass front end parts

I bought a Samix the kit with the portal boxes covers and knuckles. In the rear I have covers and that's it. I have Chevy lexan body on it. Didn't really care for the defender body too much. It is damn heavy now. Also have aluminum wheels. It seems pretty planted is all this weight. is it really needed though? It does seem the brass knuckles get hung up more of course being a soft metal. They are a cheap part I do plan on taking them off. I was just curious to see what some of you thought. have a good one
m1009cucv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2018, 07:43 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: brass front end parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1009cucv View Post
I bought a Samix the kit with the portal boxes covers and knuckles. In the rear I have covers and that's it. I have Chevy lexan body on it. Didn't really care for the defender body too much. It is damn heavy now. Also have aluminum wheels. It seems pretty planted is all this weight. is it really needed though? It does seem the brass knuckles get hung up more of course being a soft metal. They are a cheap part I do plan on taking them off. I was just curious to see what some of you thought. have a good one
I get the whole weight thing with the Brass but as stated Brass is typically soft like Integy Aluminum and i don't know if there is such a thing as hardened Brass to make it worth while.

I am slowly learning and from the little experience i have if it needs to slide then leave it plastic, Delrin or SS. If you need strength like a lower shock mount (double shear please) that also needs to slide a little then 7075 Alum is the best bet due to the generally low cost of the part.

I drive more scale so i prefer a heavy rig as it seems to mock a 1:1 as close as possible. Watching a scaler bounce around like a bobble head singing bohemian rhapsody just makes me laugh.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:41 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The brass portal covers make sense because they are completely non-structural, tuck completely inside the wheel, and provide plenty of non-rotating weight: that is a good use of brass. I don't get the "all brass everything" craze because like was said, it is a soft metal and doesn't slide.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Not that I jump on the Brass bandwagon, but I want to get people actual facts.

Quality machinable brass that MFR uses (I can not and will not comment on the Chinese offerings who could be using anything) isn't soft.

MFR uses 360 Brass (known as Free Mahcining):
Ultimate Tensile Strength, psi 58,000
Yield Strength, psi 45,000
Elongation 25%
Rockwell Hardness B78

Compare that to the common 6061-T6 Aluminum:
Ultimate Tensile Strength, psi 45,000
Yield Strength, psi 40,000
Elongation 12%
Rockwell Hardness B60
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:21 AM   #5

The aftermarket companies have gone too far with the brass parts on the TRX-4. SSD knuckle weights are all you need.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

If your worried about the softness of brass, try Lockedup RC's Steel C Hubs and Steel Portal Covers. Not quite as heavy as brass but more durable.
Adama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:41 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I wasn't aware that any company made steel parts. that seems like the way to go. Doesn't really seem necessary to me at this point. Feel like I wasted a bunch of money on brass parts.
m1009cucv is offline   Reply With Quote

brass front end parts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front end parts axial scorpion Krazyhorse Newbie General 3 05-11-2011 01:46 PM