Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Stock Motor and ESC mileage logged.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2018, 08:38 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Stock Motor and ESC mileage logged.

With this rig I wanted to log mileage. I added a Savox Steering servo and Castle BEC but left the stock motor and ESC as I wanted to see how durable they would be. I’m now at the point where I’m ready to replace. They have not failed but the motor lacks power and the ESC has become a little glitchy when trying to reverse. I run 3s. My end mileage with this combo was 44.0 miles (70.8km). I don’t think that’s too shabby!

I’ve had one 2065 servo fail in this time and I blame myself for that as I was driving way to hard over rocks to get out of a storm. All in all I think the stock Traxxas stuff has done OK.

Onto a HW 1080 and HH 550 27 Trail master and many more miles hopefully. Thought someone may find the stats useful.

Note: To log mileage I use google maps to measure the trails. I probably underestimate to be honest as the rig tends to not run the lines I walk due to tackling lots of obstacles. :-)

Last edited by o0wiz0o; 03-17-2018 at 08:40 AM.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2018, 09:21 AM   #2

Default Re: Stock Motor and ESC mileage logged.

Finally, someone else who has had good experiences with the stock electronics.

I've had 50+ packs through mine, ran it completely underwater several times, and done some very rough crawling and indoor comps, and the motor finally went out the other day. Everything else is still good though.

I will likely upgrade the ESC, motor, and servo in November when I get back state side, but only because I'll have some extra money laying around.
92fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92fox View Post
Finally, someone else who has had good experiences with the stock electronics.

I've had 50+ packs through mine, ran it completely underwater several times, and done some very rough crawling and indoor comps, and the motor finally went out the other day. Everything else is still good though.

I will likely upgrade the ESC, motor, and servo in November when I get back state side, but only because I'll have some extra money laying around.
I've had good luck with the stock electronics. The only upgrade I've done was upgrade the servo. And that was only because the stock one was to weak for scaling. The stock servo is in my parts bag as a back up and still works. I feel the stock electronics are ok, not the best but do the job. Ive had my trx4 for about 8-9 months. One day I'll upgrade all the electronics but I've got other projects I'm working on and want to finish before spending that kind of money on.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:24 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Here as well, the only thing I replaced was the servo with a Savox 1230 and added a Castle BEC. Really no complaints here on the micro servos, but I admit that it mostly stays in low gear and the diffs are always locked. The 21t and ESC work great.
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:03 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I've replaced a micro servo which was full of water
Other than that mins is still going strong since November. Probably got I'd say 30 miles on her? I only trail on Sundays and some Saturdays.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Yup, overall happy with the electronics on mine as well. No failures that have left me "stuck on the side of the road":
-On second motor, burned out the first because I took it into some very sticky, clay like mud, and the rig picked up about 10lbs of mud on the frame. Was stuck in high gear owing to the only other failure I've had, which is the 2065 shift servo conking out. Combo of both was too much for the motor to sludge through, and I melted the internals. Thing is, she still limped home, and the motor still technically spun, but was essentially fragged. Surprised the ESC thermal protection didn't shut down the truck.

-Did have all three 2065s non-responsive at the end of the season last year; I presumed dead and made a note to swap them this year (picked up a set of 3 from someone here parting out their stock RTR), to my surprise, the diff servos sprang to life, and save for a "crusty n' crunchy" front diff, they still function fine.

-ESC runs pretty hot, and on 85*+ days tends to thermal-out on 2 cell after a hard trail that ends with some healthy hill climbs. Switching to firmer foams (less drag) and running 3 cells clearned up the cut-off issues, but that little heat sink is still the hardest working block of metal in the business. I plan to run her till she dies, and then go HW1080.

-Second motor (dropped in half way through last season) is doing well, and I do a LOT of submarining intermixed with dusty, silty trails, and mud bogging. given this, I'm fine with replacing a cheap brushed motor once a year.
AggressorBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:52 AM   #7

Not electronic related but i use a program called "Geo Tracker". great free app that tracks distance, avg speed, elevation and probably more that.

Decaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:06 PM   #8

I’ve worn out a set of rock beasts on my trx4, taken it to shred the ledge here in NH, and everything is still going. Except for 1 diff servo
hutchinstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:07 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Must be some course rock! I'm still on a set of 5-6yr old RC4WD Baja Claws...about 60% worn. :-)
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote

Stock Motor and ESC mileage logged. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3s on stock esc/motor Elliott000 Axial Wraith 7 09-01-2011 04:41 PM
which motor for the stock ESC on 2s? Daddydancool Axial Wraith 13 08-27-2011 09:14 PM