Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Some work on my bronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2018, 05:57 PM   #1

Default Some work on my bronco

Huge thanks to user don_olsen for helping out a noob here on the forums. Did a little work on the bronco today. Still waiting on the light power supply, but all the wiring is in place and ready to go. Used the parts he told me about, and everything fits fine.

The led he used for headlights...
20180321_132129

Some wiring done on the front...
20180321_151655

How the headlights look fitted in between....no cutting or drilling required.
20180321_155100

Some more wiring...I used heatshrink to keep it all clean and together, and solder spliced everything together. This way I only have one junction to plug into the power supply. I just wanted running lights, not worried about brakes or backup lights.
20180321_160213 20180321_160216 20180321_160621 20180321_160619

Then, during all of this, these showed up....
20180321_135824

Soo, I paused between wiring the rear lights and assembled and installed them. I need to find center caps for them, but I really like how they look...
20180321_151705 20180321_151708 20180321_162513

Tires are a bit taller than stock, and they do rub when stuffed, but it's not bad.

Just need the light controller so I can hook up the wiring and turn it all on now!

Last edited by Dennhop; 03-27-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Dennhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2018, 09:24 PM   #2

Default Re: Some work on my bronco

Hey thanks for the props. I'm so glad I could help. It's looking great.
I got out today in the spring time NYC snow, the LED's have a great period correct yellow white color to them.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Don_Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:42 PM   #3

Ran into a snag...I guess I can't wire the headlights and the running lights into the same circuit...not enough power to run them all. Had to cut into the harness and rewire the headlights separately to another channel on the controller. I'm on hold till I get the connector.

This is the part I've got...
TRA8028_2

So the way I did it was I ran all my running lights in parallel, so front running lights, taillights and rear running lights and wired all together to one positive and one negative lead that plugs into one port on the led driver. The headlights will light up to full power when they're isolated on their own, without the running lights connected. My solution, and hopefully it works, will be to use the same driver, but the second port, when I get my connector, for the headlights. All my other wiring is still stock.

Last edited by THX_138; 05-13-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:18 PM   #4

Hmm I'm sort of surprised. Unless you tried powering them without the Traxxas LED driver. The voltage directly off the RX is 5v. The rating of the LED's is 3v

I have the headlights 300ma each, 4 running lights 30ma each and the Traxxas rock crawling lights on the same circuit.
Not sure what the amp draw is on the Traxxas lights is but it must be over 100ma.

Now I don't have my servo. on that circuit. So I'm sorry if that's it. I have my servo. on a BEC.

Yes that's the power supply I'm using. I do have mine split on two different plugs.
One with the headlights and 4 running lights.
The other with the Traxxas rock crawling lights.
So maybe that is the difference.

Last edited by THX_138; 05-13-2018 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:01 PM   #5

That's probably what it is then. I think the draw is too much on one leg on the driver, so when the second set of connectors comes in, I'll be able to run the headlights on their own separate leg. Should work fine.

Plus, I added the taillights as well, so I'd bet the draw of 4 running lights, 2 taillights and the headlights was just too much

So I got the second part in to get my headlights working, but killed my servo...soo, new snow today, but I can't run in...

Last edited by THX_138; 05-14-2018 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:35 AM   #6

Ugh. How did that happen?

Old 03-24-2018, 11:57 AM   #7

No idea. It was running fine last night, went to fire it up today, and the steering servo is shot. Switched channels, and tested to make sure it was the servo not anything else, and the transmitter and channel are good...but the servo is completely dead. No response at all when I turn the truck on.

I need to upgrade it, but for times sake, and the fact that the hobby shop near me don't have any servos, i just ordered a new stock one from Traxxas...

Just found out they do have one...so I got it and it's up and running. Not a lot of actual run pics, but you can see the aftermath...lol
20180324_161055 20180324_161601 20180324_161540

Did a bit more tweaking and troubleshooting. Results are tbd. I'll get to that in a minute though.

Took my front and rear diffs and portals apart and packed them with grease. Used the wheel bearing grease I have, and it works fine. Everything was pretty dry, or just a bit of grease. Didn't take any after pics, but I packed them full.
20180326_004317

Then I redid the wiring on the lights. I used a 4 way Delphi weather pack connector to plug the body harness into the trx4 light connector...works great, easy to disconnect, and of course waterproof.
20180326_111212
20180326_111231

Then of course, it was time to play. Even with the grease, the locking diffs worked fine. I do need to upgrade the steering servo, and at some point I'll buy a Bec and a new servo, but for now, the stock one will work...
20180326_111648
20180326_112540
20180326_111738

And for the troubleshooting, results tbd. I saw a video online about fixing stock Traxxas steering servo. On the right side just below center (in my picture) there is a fuse that's soldered in. The video showed that the fuse was bad....I didn't bother testing mine. I just desoldered the fuse, and soldered in a solid strand of wire....took about 4 wires from an 18g strand, tinned them, and soldered them across the fuse junction. I haven't tested it yet, but if it does work, I've at least got an emergency spare.

Sidenote....mine went bad completely....I had no power to the servo, no noise, nothing. It was just dead. Gears we're good, but the servo wasn't responding at all to inputs from the controller.
20180326_110656

With the aftermarket wheels, didn't like the fact I couldn't put the center caps on...and it looked goofy with the wheelnut exposed. Got a set of Mickey Thompson classic center caps for the rears, and a rc4wd manual lockout for the front. Ran into a small snag with the lockouts, as I found out they were too short to thread on with the original wheel it's removed. I ended up just putting them on over top the original wheel nuts, and they worked fine that way and still look pretty original.

Last edited by THX_138; 05-14-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:11 PM   #8
RCC Addict

any chance you have the part # that you used? thanks
m1009cucv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:13 PM   #9

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DBZHOCW?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Here's the headlights don_olsen and I used...they sandwiched perfectly between the lense and the backing for me.

For the rest of them, he sent me these two links:

5mm
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AUI4VSI?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

3mm
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AUI4W5U?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

They will have to be plugged into a trx4 led controller
One big difference between my setup and Don's was that I ran the taillights, whereas he only had running lights with his headlights, and his steering servo is on a Bec. For my setup, to run headlights and all the other lights, I had to run the headlights on one plug of the led controller, and all my other lights on another plug. There was too much draw on one plug for me to get the headlights to work properly. So after much debate, I finally chose to go with a stock wheel, vs the bronco plastic cover...
So onto it....

img free

img free

And after talking with a few others here, and checking out the acme plate generator, I chose to go a different route. Wanted my custom design, didn't care so much about the actual numbers...so I copied the image, shrunk it down, laminated it and taped it on. Not nearly as professional as others, but I tend to lose patience when dealing with details like that. I did add some dates to the plate, so I'm actually running on expired tags. But unless I redid them every year, they'd be expired next year too!

Added a vanity plate up front, while I was at it.

These were the images I started with:

This is how it ended up

And since every one of my real vehicles has Marine Corps veteran tags, I felt it fitting that the bronco did too...

I ended up tapping the new LEDs into one of the existing leads, since the connectors I ordered were not the right size. Oh well. Figure something g out to do with them.

That being said, I realized that now that it's street legal albeit expired registration, that well, i could still get pulled over because Traxxas engineers forgot one very key thing- license plate lights! Since the local AutoZone, O'Reilly's, and advanced Auto parts were unable to locate a Ford bronco Traxxas model in their parts catalog, I decided again, I'd have to make my own.
I used two 3mm soft white LEDs, and after some grinding, some drilling, and a bit of soldering, it's now street legal!

Ok, last thing for a bit. Got these in and installed today.

Last edited by THX_138; 05-14-2018 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:30 PM   #10

As Dennhop stated. The power draw if done in series will over draw on the Traxxas LED power supply which is rated for 500mw.
If wired in parallel the amperage draw is divided between each of the LED's

https://www.ledsupply.com/blog/wirin...its-explained/

At 300ma each in series they are pulling a bit more than it's rated for.

But as I have it in parallel I can the two headlights 2x300ma each on one leg.
And 4x20ma LED's and the Traxxas rock crawling well lights also which Im guessing are likely 120ma on another.

It's working fine, so far so good. But as with most things proceed at your own risk.

Last edited by Don_Olsen; 03-28-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:02 PM   #11

First time out in the real, and I think I fried the motor, haha! I didn't have any good way to check it out there, but when I turn everything on, everything works except the throttle. All the servos actuate, the high/low transmission servo works, steering servo is good, but there is no response at all when I move the throttle forward or back. I need to take the motor connectors and plug them directly into a battery to verify that the motor is working correctly, then go from there...don't know if I'll upgrade, or replace. Probably upgrade. I need to find a motor that can handle water better than the stock one.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:43 AM   #12

Anyway u could point out the fuse in a pic I got a dead servo as Well.did ur fix work

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Last edited by THX_138; 05-14-2018 at 12:19 AM.
93muskrat351w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:30 PM   #13

My fix didn't work, but I think it's because of my solder work. The servo does turn a bit, but since I don't have a clean connection, it activates the front difflock also when I turn. With a clean solder connection, I'm pretty sure it would work fine; I just didn't get it right.

The circled part is where the fuse should be.

Last edited by THX_138; 05-14-2018 at 12:24 AM.

Some work on my bronco - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyway to make a bumper work with this bronco body? skiiermike Axial SCX-10 12 09-17-2015 09:09 PM
CowRC sponsored ESP “CANYON CRAWL, JEEPS & A BRONCO DO WORK” Team CowRC Non Crawler RC's 0 10-18-2014 05:04 PM
Scale work force work party and BBQ This Saturday May 11th The Real Dogman Michigan 22 05-12-2013 02:02 PM