Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: So, you like the TRX-4? It might not be an accident...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default So, you like the TRX-4? It might not be an accident...

Yup, had the same concerns. here's Traxxas getting into the crawler/scale market with a version 1 TRX-4. Portal axles? Hmmm...cool, but complex.

Having lived with this chassis for a reasonable bit, I think it's pretty stunning and has something to offer everyone. You may not like, or need, or want all of the options offered, but they work remarkably well. I built the kit and didn't install the 2-speed or diff options. Doesn't mean I never will...options good.

Turns out the TRX-4 designer, Jon Wood, is a mechanical engineer, that as I understand, builds and competes with full scale chassis as a hobby. Not just some random 3D modeler that was assigned the job with little notion or practical perspective on what a good chassis should be.

So it's no accident folks, a competent individual that designs a product with knowledge and passion produces a better product - even if it's a first version.
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: So, you like the TRX-4? It might not be an accident...

I love the TRX. Cracking truck. Two very minor niggles I’d like to see addressed in V2.

1: Make access to the servo horn screw easier. Line of sight would be helpful. It’s just out enough that’s it’s a pain to get to.

2: Follow Bow House RC’s LCG battery tray design. Much better than stock.

Still my favourite trail rig by miles. :-)
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:54 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I think it was RC Car Action that did a company profile of Traxxas many years ago (about the time the Revo came out) and they had something like 9 full time engineers on staff even back then. They clearly have a team of very smart people working on their vehicles if they can crank out the TRX4, E-Revo 2.0, and UDR in the same time it takes others to release the same buggy but now with "optimized shock angles and precision tuned springs".
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:11 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Traxxas are the world leaders. They have the most money and the best design engineer team. They're also the best at keeping secrets !
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

They also *get* marketing to their customer base.

Folks love to hate on Traxxas for that, but they know how to grow and maintain a brand.

That said, it'll be interesting to see what Horizon Hobby, currently bidding to absorb Hobbico, could throw out against Traxxas. HH cranks out RC planes like Traxxas rolls out cars, and products like the Ascender prove they know what they're doing. That battle of the giants would be VERY good for hobbyist

All that said, yes, in my experience the TRX-4 lives up to the tall bar it set (And yes, I had my doubts at first). last season mine would get ~3 hours each weekend of running through deep mud, silty dust like sand, and lots of pretty rough trails filled with washed out 'valleys' that afforded lots of chances for bind ups. I burned through a motor when mud caked to the wheels (truck weighed about 20 lbs!), and the shift servo gave up the ghost. Still, the drive train never faltered. Meanwhile, my Ascender has had it's transmission seize twice.
AggressorBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:41 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

John Holmes did a review last June on the TRX4 and about 3/4 through the review he speaks of when John Woods, himself and others were hand building their comp rigs when there was essentially no crawler market established.

I have had so much fun with my modded Defender that I went out and picked up the new chassis kit, Might actually get around to opening the box today and start in on it.

some more TRX4 vids from Holmes Hobbies
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...uvGxtGWpCqnIKE
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:42 AM   #7

Son is arriving this evening, so our build will begin

Enjoy
OldNASCARCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:35 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoJac View Post
John Holmes did a review last June on the TRX4 and about 3/4 through the review he speaks of when John Woods, himself and others were hand building their comp rigs when there was essentially no crawler market established.

I have had so much fun with my modded Defender that I went out and picked up the new chassis kit, Might actually get around to opening the box today and start in on it.

some more TRX4 vids from Holmes Hobbies
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...uvGxtGWpCqnIKE
You'll dig the kit, very nice.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:34 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by celt View Post
You'll dig the kit, very nice.
To Traxxas' credit, they do learn from their mistakes. Their first attempt into the crawler/scaler world fell flat like a pancake. Traxxas is famous for leveraging off of existing platforms for "new" RCs, and they tried the same approach with the Telluride. But, with it being a forced-crawler at best, and with well-establish products already out there, few of us were really interested in it. So, for round two, they knew they had needed to completely fresh.

What's funny is that Traxxas has been a part of crawling for years. Before the AX10 came out, the go-to transmission was the Traxxas Magnum 272 (Slash/Rustler/Bandit), it was side mounted with the diff locked. I don't want to incite another lawsuit or anything, but there are some striking similarities between the AX10 and 272 transmissions.

I just wish Traxxas would have done their kit a bit differently, or offered two kits. If I am building a kit, I am not interested in the stock electronics, so it would be nice if they offered a kit without it. Also, I would like to see them come out with a $300 RTR version of the TRX4 that does not have a two-speed transmission and locking diffs.

Last edited by Greatscott; 04-06-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:57 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
To Traxxas' credit, they do learn from their mistakes. Their first attempt into the crawler/scaler world fell flat like a pancake. Traxxas is famous for leveraging off of existing platforms for "new" RCs, and they tried the same approach with the Telluride. But, with it being a forced-crawler at best, and with well-establish products already out there, few of us were really interested in it. So, for round two, they knew they had needed to completely fresh.

What's funny is that Traxxas has been a part of crawling for years. Before the AX10 came out, the go-to transmission was the Traxxas Magnum 272 (Slash/Rustler/Bandit), it was side mounted with the diff locked. I don't want to incite another lawsuit or anything, but there are some striking similarities between the AX10 and 272 transmissions.

I just wish Traxxas would have done their kit a bit differently, or offered two kits. If I am building a kit, I am not interested in the stock electronics, so it would be nice if they offered a kit without it. Also, I would like to see them come out with a $300 RTR version of the TRX4 that does not have a two-speed transmission and locking diffs.

Not to mention the countless millions of various style traxxas rod ends used by crawlers from the beginning.

* I always saw more resemblance between the AX trans and the other go to go to trans of the time... the stealth trans. (Although not to be confused, they shared much different tolerances, and quality)
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:28 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
Not to mention the countless millions of various style traxxas rod ends used by crawlers from the beginning.

WTF dude, traxxas style rod ends have been used in machinery for 75 years, and its name is a heim joint. Lets not go crediting traxxas from developing penicillin and discovering the world is round.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:35 PM   #12
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
WTF dude, traxxas style rod ends have been used in machinery for 75 years, and its name is a heim joint. Lets not go crediting traxxas from developing penicillin and discovering the world is round.

I don't think he is saying they invented the heim joint, he is saying that traxxas rod ends have long been the staple of building an RC crawler. I've been using them for 16 years to build crawler links, and they are still practically the best choice.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:51 PM   #13
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I'll say this about the TRX-4, it has a lot going for it. one example: I've always hated 2 speed transmissions. A properly set up brushless system can have both high speed AND low speed control on the rocks. A two speed is heavier than just using a bigger motor. A two speed is more complicated and has more chance of breaking. A two speed has more slop than a single speed. There are very few cases where a two speed is actually needed.

Going from this long term ingrained opinion, I shouldn't like the traxxas two speed. But the ratio is super wide, wide enough to let 1st gear crawl nicely but have LOTS of wheelspeed in 2nd. OK, that part is fun. Well it will certainly have a lot of slop. But even after hundreds of hours, my TRX-4 has less slop than the RTR SCX10ii does with a single speed tranny... OK, so maybe slop can be designed out, I've just never tried the right one I suppose. Well then, a big brushless system will surely break a two speed, I've done that to every other one I've tried. But dangit why wont the TRX-4 transmission break? OK, so a two speed is heavier and bulkier than a long rotor brushless motor. I've got you now! You can't win me over!! But maybe I'll take out the TRX-4 today anyway since I'm not comp crawling. Shifting gears and unlocking the diffs turns out to be a lot more fun than I first imagined...

Point is, they did a great job and have been listening very carefully to every compliant on the table. If they can win me over on two speeds being fun and (mostly) practical, then what else do they have planned?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:26 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Yup! It never get's old watching a truck that was "helplessly stuck" go to low 'n' locked, and 'magically' crawl out of trouble.

Heck, I'd love if they went a step further and offered selective 4x4 as an option. For trailing I'd imagine it's a lot more 'fuel' efficient to run in 2x4 for long stretches, and Coming from the aviation side of the hobby, I know there's the tech out there to really wire up the model with all those features. Just need to see someone pull through a decent 8 channel ground radio (and not require a second mortgage for it!).
Old 04-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #15
RCC Addict

70 Miles plus on my TRX now. I changed the steering servo as I had a better one to hand. One micro servo failed at which point I repurposed the 2075x to hi-lo duty and after 50 Miles the esc and Motor were performing poorly so I threw a HW 1080 and HH 27t Trail Master in. Tranny and drive train have been flawless. I can’t praise this rig enough.

The two speed is fantastic. I crawl and trail mainly in HI. I use Lo when I need to really crawl on technical areas. The HH 27t is perfect IMO for this rig. :-)
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:33 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

It's a fun platform. Just like the other trail/scale/comp(people do use them as comp trucks) truck it has its PROS and CONS, from my experience the PROS seams to outweigh the cons.
My point of view on the truck I'm sure not everyone shares the same opinion and that is fine. Cuase they should VARY.

Traxxas has played it smart with there own aftermarket parts like Spools... So on. And I'm wondering what is next for them? With this platform as it seems they can do alot with it.

My thoughts.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk
Schs2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:43 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schs2013 View Post
It's a fun platform. Just like the other trail/scale/comp(people do use them as comp trucks) truck it has its PROS and CONS, from my experience the PROS seams to outweigh the cons.
My point of view on the truck I'm sure not everyone shares the same opinion and that is fine. Cuase they should VARY.

Traxxas has played it smart with there own aftermarket parts like Spools... So on. And I'm wondering what is next for them? With this platform as it seems they can do alot with it.

My thoughts.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk
My gut feeling is that WE WILL SEE ANOTHER RIG maybe a comp rig, this time spooled, single speed transmission and w/o electronics !
(maybe even a straight axle ? kinda doubt it though.)

The reason I feel this way is that is that they have offered up some really nice accessories... 3 new ring & pinions (std drv, und dev and over drv), diff spools, single speed tranny conversion, 4 more optional spring rates, HD axles, slipper eliminator plates.

Last edited by ScoJac; 04-09-2018 at 05:22 PM.
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:53 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Traxxas cam out with an HD Axle for the TRX4?
Old 04-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggressorBLUE View Post
Traxxas cam out with an HD Axle for the TRX4?

Is that a question or a statement?
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:58 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
Is that a question or a statement?
Based on the terminating punctuation, I'd say it's a question...I think he was referring to the HD gears sets.

Last edited by celt; 04-10-2018 at 12:16 PM.

So, you like the TRX-4? It might not be an accident... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
accident chrispbubba Chit Chat 14 02-23-2008 08:28 AM
Wheelin' accident Nova's Ark Chit Chat 4 12-07-2007 02:55 PM
got in a motorcycle accident... STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 62 11-05-2006 03:45 PM
Accident Report bigred Chit Chat 4 03-16-2005 01:26 PM
Genious by accident... zBigBadWolf Tires and Wheels 9 03-15-2005 02:05 PM