Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: About to purchase trx4... What batteries?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2018, 05:21 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default About to purchase trx4... What batteries?

Hello all, I have been approved to purchase my new addiction . Everything is in the cart except for the batteries & charger. This is my first hobby rc I've ever bought. I need some help. I know I want s2 lipo , but other then that I don"t know what I'm doing. Can you guys give me a hand with what batteries/charger/connectors i should use for the Trx-4? low price is a good thing if possible. Thank you guys again!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2018, 05:46 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: About to purchase trx4... What batteries?

Not sure why you're set on 2S but I do use one along with my 3S packs.

Anyway.. as someone that was [and still is] VERY new to the world of the TRX4 and lipo batteries, here's what I did and I could NOT be happier. The suggestions came to me from RCC as well as some late nights skimming youtube.

Turnigy 2.2 2200mAh 25-35C
Zippy compact 2700mAh 60C 3S
Traxxas power cell 5000mAh 25C 3S

Since I was new to all this, I wanted to get a good feel for some different flavors. I am very pleased with all of them. I have XT60 connectors on the Turnigy and Zippy because that was a connector HIGHLY recommended again and again. Because I was still running the stock TRX4 ESC, I knew I would be good to go with the Traxxas battery ( plug and play). But I also knew that at some point I'd likely swap out the XL5 ESC for a Hobbywing WP1080 so I wanted batteries that were ready to go in that regard. The only thing that I had to do was to buy an XT60 to Traxxas adapter ( available on ebay or Amazon for about $6). The most beneficial aspect of the Traxxas 5000mAh is obviously the additional run-time but also the weight. Tbh... my TRX4 crawls much better when running the heavier lipo pack.

As for chargers, the Hitec X2 AC Plus dual-port charger is a great bet for ease of use, price, and the ability to charge two packs simultaneously. Fwiw though, I continued to be drawn to the Sky RC Imax B6 AC v2 charger. It's inexpensive and great quality. It's also very simple to use although has some great features making it quite an advanced balance charger. Drawback is that it is only a single port so keep that in mind.

Anyway.. I couldn't be more satisfied with the route that I went. I'm sure down the road, I'll pick up some other batteries but this charger and these batteries have been great for a noob like me.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:55 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Hello all, I have been approved to purchase my new addiction . Everything is in the cart except for the batteries & charger. This is my first hobby rc I've ever bought. I need some help. I know I want s2 lipo , but other then that I don"t know what I'm doing. Can you guys give me a hand with what batteries/charger/connectors i should use for the Trx-4? low price is a good thing if possible. Thank you guys again!
I have used only 2s lipos in my crawlers. I just don't feel that I need all the extra from a 3s but that is just me. my suggestions for the batteries would be SMC batteries or Hobbyking Turnigy Nano Tech. The SMC can be ordered straight from SMC $35 for a 5200mA with your choice of connector. I have used their batteries for years in my race vehicles with no issues. They are awesome people to deal with as they will answer any of your questions. I am currently using a Turnigy Nano Tech 5300mA with no problems at all. They run about $28 a pack. only thing is your going to have to change the connector on the ESC to bullet plugs. You can pick up 2 of the above batteries for the price of just 1 Traxxas pack which is a win in my book .
Not sure how much you are looking to spend on a charger or where you are looking to purchase the TRX from. If you have a local hobby shop (LHS) near by that might be a nice place to get some info also.
I also have a thread started here with my own TRX4. If you have any questions please ask.
carpetfuzz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:26 PM   #4

Turnigy Nano-Tech is my favorite. Here's a 6000mAh 65C LiPo that you can use in your TRX-4 or your bashers. Great battery. Only $35 each right now.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...lipo-pack.html
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:34 PM   #5

I’ve just stuck with all traxxas pieces. I have a 3s 5000mah and two 2s 5800mah(for my slash’s, but I’ll use them as backups). I use the traxxas charger. For me being new to it all, it was a simple
setup so I didn’t need to add adapters to connect one brand to another and the charger is dummy proof. May cost a little more, but I have never had a issue with anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NeedMoreLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedMoreLow View Post
I’ve just stuck with all traxxas pieces. I have a 3s 5000mah and two 2s 5800mah(for my slash’s, but I’ll use them as backups). I use the traxxas charger. For me being new to it all, it was a simple
setup so I didn’t need to add adapters to connect one brand to another and the charger is dummy proof. May cost a little more, but I have never had a issue with anything.

You are wasting a lot of money. Sure, it's simple, but you are getting lower quality batteries and chargers for more money. Taking just a little bit of time to learn LiPo batteries and chargers would save you lots of money.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
You are wasting a lot of money. Sure, it's simple, but you are getting lower quality batteries and chargers for more money. Taking just a little bit of time to learn LiPo batteries and chargers would save you lots of money.

Price wise, I pay what you stated on my 2s and a little more for my 3s. Now I realize my pricing is based on the fact that I’m getting a deal too so it was a no brainer. The charger does what I need, I don’t need it to be fancy. The batteries I don’t see quality wise a difference between mine and a buddies non traxxas packs on his trx4. I get over 2hrs run time, plenty of power and they’ve been going strong for about a year now with being charged twice a week. As someone that doesn’t do competitions and only takes his kids out and goes out with some buddies to local areas, it’s worked out great. I’m not here to argue, I’ll lose in this arena. But as a beginner just wanting to have fun, I’m sure here’s other like me that would like the simplicity of having it all match up.

NeedMoreLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedMoreLow View Post
Price wise, I pay what you stated on my 2s and a little more for my 3s. Now I realize my pricing is based on the fact that I’m getting a deal too so it was a no brainer. The charger does what I need, I don’t need it to be fancy. The batteries I don’t see quality wise a difference between mine and a buddies non traxxas packs on his trx4. I get over 2hrs run time, plenty of power and they’ve been going strong for about a year now with being charged twice a week. As someone that doesn’t do competitions and only takes his kids out and goes out with some buddies to local areas, it’s worked out great. I’m not here to argue, I’ll lose in this arena. But as a beginner just wanting to have fun, I’m sure here’s other like me that would like the simplicity of having it all match up.
I completely understand paying for convenience and whatever works for you is cool. But even at the same price your batteries are of lower quality than the Turnigy batteries. Traxxas batteries typically have pathetic C-ratings. I don't like low C-ratings. I buy higher C ratings so I can use them in any vehicle.

But, like I said, whatever works for you.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:46 AM   #9
RCC Addict

3S all the way. Unless there's a comp restriction or something. It just works SO much better in all crawlers. If you get too much wheel speed gear down a little, but most find it to be perfect.
A couple of TRX4's in our group, all brands and platforms represented, so you don't think I'm talking out my ass or to just Vaterra.

Changing out the connector is also a popular option - XT60 is great but Dean's or a knock-off works well too. Match all your batteries to your esc connector(s). Traxxas is withholding adapters for their proprietary connector to try to force users to buy their batteries.

Any lipo compatible charger will work - just match your amps to your battery capacities for 1C charge rate. So if you have a 5000mah batt get a 5A-plus charger. If you think you'll get graphene HV batts then get a charger that will charge them, otherwise they pretty much all do lipos now.

The TRX4 can be a power hog, but a 5000mah battery should still last 3 hours or more. At least that's been our experience with them.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:21 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I agree to a point. Yes the traxxus batteries and charger a little more but for a first timer as I was coming from nitro to electric rock crawlers it was worth the little extra to play now and take my time to learn about the lipo batteries and charger options available. Because it can get pretty overwhelming at first. And you only need to wreck one battery to know that. So to get up and go I went with the traxxus system that take care of the batteries from a-z inckuding putting them into storage. Now I have learned more and have a couple different styles from my 1/18 d90 to my trx4. I'd say pick something bullet proof the first time
FANATICRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:38 PM   #11
RCC Addict

The TRX4 on 2s is far to tame. 3s gives it nice torque/speed. It’s built tough and handles 3s easy.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:38 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Benefit of that Turnigy 2S 2200, is that it's really inexpensive ( under $12) and so far [for me] has had decent run times ( approx 1 hr). Figured it was worth mentioning to someone that may be trying to get the vehicle up and running w/o spending much additional money. Nice to throw it in my pocket for a spare when on a long trail.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:05 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Natedog - I have one of those, it my primary run batt. Others are backups. But they're backordered currently - out of stock.

I just ordered one of these...will report on how it works when I get it. 3000mah, xt60, compact size, 3s, $30...it's' coming from Turkey!

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/11-1V...ceBeautifyAB=0

Old 03-31-2018, 02:00 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

This battery has served me very well in my TRX4:
GForce Elite Series 30C 5000mAh 3S 11.1V LiPO | Value Hobby

While you're there, grab yourself one of these servos to replace the stock one in the TRX4 (it really is a terrible stock steering servo)
Power HD LW-20MG Digital Servo for RC Cawlers | Value Hobby

And a nice aluminum servo horn:
Power HD SR8 Aluminum Servo Horn 25T - Accessories - Radios & Servos | Value Hobby
AggressorBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:21 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Natedog - I have one of those, it my primary run batt. Others are backups. But they're backordered currently - out of stock.

I just ordered one of these...will report on how it works when I get it. 3000mah, xt60, compact size, 3s, $30...it's' coming from Turkey!

Just FYI - now $23.68
If they work well would be a killer deal.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:08 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post

Well, this battery finally arrived, and it is 115mm long so it won't fit in the ascender battery tray. Took forever and doesn't fit = disappointment.

I initiated a claim for refund, said I would order again if they could assure they would ship what they showed in their listing. We'll see...

The other thing that concerned me was the label saying: 5C • 10C Charge
What does that mean? Seems like a high charge rate is okay but not discharge? I wonder if 5C discharge rate is sufficient - likely. But some of my other lipo's are 25 to 100c discharge. It would appear from their image that the 11.4v version would be 30C discharge and that's fine. Mine came unmarked.

I'm likely to get one of the new Axial Deadbolts on the II chassis, this would work in that, so I'll just keep it. And if they come along and say they actually have the 95mm long 3s in 3000mah I'll update here.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:20 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

This is the best battery iv ever owned. It is light and strong. Balance is perfect, and plenty of power to run the TRX brushless 2400kv in high gear very hard. @ $16 its a winner.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-fl...-3s1p-20c.html
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:55 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggressorBLUE View Post
This battery has served me very well in my TRX4:
GForce Elite Series 30C 5000mAh 3S 11.1V LiPO | Value Hobby

While you're there, grab yourself one of these servos to replace the stock one in the TRX4 (it really is a terrible stock steering servo)
Power HD LW-20MG Digital Servo for RC Cawlers | Value Hobby

And a nice aluminum servo horn:
Power HD SR8 Aluminum Servo Horn 25T - Accessories - Radios & Servos | Value Hobby
Great suggestions. I’ve had good luck with the GForce batteries too. And yes, 3s is what you want.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:04 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92LILREDYJ View Post
This is the best battery iv ever owned. It is light and strong. Balance is perfect, and plenty of power to run the TRX brushless 2400kv in high gear very hard. @ $16 its a winner.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-fl...-3s1p-20c.html
Yeah, those don't fit in a Veterra Ascender - I have 3.
If I add a Axial SCX to the mix that would work. I was just trying to find a use for the one I just got. [shrug]
Old 04-27-2018, 03:47 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

I have gensace 2s 4600mah shorty packs. Highly abused , always ran in water and never left in storage charge. I recharge every time I get back from a run and have never had a problem.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote

About to purchase trx4... What batteries? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Help! Purchase Help thegreatgeekyme Newbie General 0 03-14-2012 05:18 PM
how to purchase s_brown04x4 Newbie General 4 02-05-2010 06:27 AM
New Purchase MDcrawler72 Maryland 6 12-02-2008 05:59 PM