Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: New trx4. First crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2018, 05:46 PM   #1

Default New trx4. First crawler

Just got this last week. Took it down the creek behind my house. Gotta say I love it and I think I made a good choice. Any suggestions for some basic upgrades other than the stock servo. I done have a savox I'm going to put on it. I've also heard the little servos go bad frequently. I had a summit and this was true, what's a good replacement for them? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
unerismy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2018, 06:16 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New trx4. First crawler

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

The stock tires are ok, but you will need a lot better performance with different tires.

The biggest problem with that rig is how heavy the body is, adding weight down low helps a lot. One of the easiest ways to do this is with a set of brass portal covers.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:11 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by unerismy View Post
Just got this last week. Took it down the creek behind my house. Gotta say I love it and I think I made a good choice. Any suggestions for some basic upgrades other than the stock servo. I done have a savox I'm going to put on it. I've also heard the little servos go bad frequently. I had a summit and this was true, what's a good replacement for them? Thanks in advance.

Sweet location. Wish that was behind my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fishcharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcharger View Post
Sweet location. Wish that was behind my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ty sir it's about a mile long, gonna make some actual trails when the weather gets warmer

Old 04-06-2018, 08:45 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Congrats. Ive had my for almost a moth and just this week took it for a spin in the house. Maiden will be this weekend and i sure wish i had a beautiful place like that to crawl.

I am new to the TRX4 so i can't really provide and useful upgrade info yet. I can say that i have owned a few crawler RC's and the TRX4 just in the house blows away anything i have had in the past.

COG weight is huge on how any RC performs among the million other things. I have read the Defender body is very top heavy so as mentioned upgrade with the key items being to keep the COG low.

The TRX4 from what i have read doesn't really need a whole lot of anything regarding upgrades for quit sometime. I think most come from a Axial background (Me included) that it was paramount to upgrade before or after the first battery. That mentallity was brought into the TRX4 but like i mentioned unless you are goign to comp the thing daily, just run it, break it and then upgrade if necessary.

Personally, I am going to run it and go from there. See what YOU and YOUR TRX4 needs and not what somebody else says you need.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
Congrats. Ive had my for almost a moth and just this week took it for a spin in the house. Maiden will be this weekend and i sure wish i had a beautiful place like that to crawl.

I am new to the TRX4 so i can't really provide and useful upgrade info yet. I can say that i have owned a few crawler RC's and the TRX4 just in the house blows away anything i have had in the past.

COG weight is huge on how any RC performs among the million other things. I have read the Defender body is very top heavy so as mentioned upgrade with the key items being to keep the COG low.

The TRX4 from what i have read doesn't really need a whole lot of anything regarding upgrades for quit sometime. I think most come from a Axial background (Me included) that it was paramount to upgrade before or after the first battery. That mentallity was brought into the TRX4 but like i mentioned unless you are goign to comp the thing daily, just run it, break it and then upgrade if necessary.

Personally, I am going to run it and go from there. See what YOU and YOUR TRX4 needs and not what somebody else says you need.
That's what I was going to do, I got the light kit from Traxxas to install, and was thinking about getting the forward mounted battery tray with straps so I can run a higher mah battery. Idk if Traxxas got the brushed motor rite or not, I know the ones that came on rustlers etc etc we're horrid. I guess time will tell

Old 04-07-2018, 05:04 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Motor is fine, it likes 3s the best. Truck will run forever how it is out of the box. Basically just change out what you see fit. If you change the body you can get the Bronco/kit version shock tower/inner wheel wells and adapt them to help keep things clean. Getting the servo savers dirty on the small servos leads to them binding up and stripping gears. Blue Bird BMS-373MG metal gear micro servos can be used in place of the Traxxas 2080’s but aren’t waterproof out of the box.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:52 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I was just going to say those shots look like you could have been crawling behind my house. Still dealing with intermittent snow here which complicates things a bit. I've got about 6 hours run time into mine and love it. Running a 3s 5500mah and get easily 3 hours run time.what I noticed off the bat is approach and departure angles. The bumper hits first and the tire drags last. There are a couple people who have chopped the bumpers and raised them up. I've ordered some aluminum bumpers to tuck everything in tight.ive also ordered a couple things from knight customs one of this things being the spare tire delete and rotopak relocate to get the tire tastefully out of the way. Next will be tires and to tackle the high cog with something brass way down. You'll love yours I've loved mine.
FANATICRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm25x View Post
Motor is fine, it likes 3s the best. Truck will run forever how it is out of the box. Basically just change out what you see fit. If you change the body you can get the Bronco/kit version shock tower/inner wheel wells and adapt them to help keep things clean. Getting the servo savers dirty on the small servos leads to them binding up and stripping gears. Blue Bird BMS-373MG metal gear micro servos can be used in place of the Traxxas 2080’s but aren’t waterproof out of the box.
Ah ok, so is water proofing servos still as simple as coating them in plasti dip? That's how I used to do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANATICRC View Post
I was just going to say those shots look like you could have been crawling behind my house. Still dealing with intermittent snow here which complicates things a bit. I've got about 6 hours run time into mine and love it. Running a 3s 5500mah and get easily 3 hours run time.what I noticed off the bat is approach and departure angles. The bumper hits first and the tire drags last. There are a couple people who have chopped the bumpers and raised them up. I've ordered some aluminum bumpers to tuck everything in tight.ive also ordered a couple things from knight customs one of this things being the spare tire delete and rotopak relocate to get the tire tastefully out of the way. Next will be tires and to tackle the high cog with something brass way down. You'll love yours I've loved mine.
Well the trip pictured was about 4 hours long, down a creek that 4 wheelers are usually going down. I'm going to get the chainsaw out when it gets warmer and make an actual course. Looking forward to it. I've also got a go pro hero, thought it'd be cool for video but the sticky stuff for the mounts would ruin the look, and the body, so only thing I can think off is a Chase vehicle for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

The stock tires are ok, but you will need a lot better performance with different tires.

The biggest problem with that rig is how heavy the body is, adding weight down low helps a lot. One of the easiest ways to do this is with a set of brass portal covers.
I've seen those when browsing random upgrades, is there a specific brand or anything I should look into?

Ok cool ty for the info

Last edited by THX_138; 04-08-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:32 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I've seen those when browsing random upgrades, is there a specific brand or anything I should look into? Thanks

There are a couple different brands and even some Chinese stuff on Ebay, but the stuff that really caught my eye was the Samix stuff.they have a pretty extensive offering of both aluminum and brass stuff. But if you went all brass you'd add almost 400g of unsprung weight which is what you to reduce your cog. They also have a high clearance link and steering kit to get those out of the way for climbing over stuff. Everyone will have their opinion but from what I see and have read this is nice stuff. So its next on my list. rcsamix.com is the site.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:34 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I'd avoid wheel weights though as it adds rotational weight whichi is hard on axles and portal gears.

New trx4. First crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas TRX4 Front Electronics Tray by Crawler Innovations Nova's Ark Crawler Innovations 9 07-01-2019 08:50 AM
My first crawler - TRX4 - modified Plyfold Traxxas TRX-4 6 01-08-2018 03:17 PM
*Public Giveaway* - Traxxas TRX4 Front Electronics Tray by Crawler Innovations Nova's Ark Chit Chat 90 12-05-2017 11:47 AM