Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Wheel weights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #1

Default Wheel weights

I have a trx4 with beadlock wheels that I put sticky weights all the way around the inner wheel. (Ssd wheels) i love the handling. Night and day difference over the stock wheels, having the weight down low. My question is, is the added weight harming the axles? I don't want to strip the gears. I do a mix of crawling, trail and second gear ripping around my yard. When I research all I really come up with is wheel weights are old school and not necessary....
Zerocool91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2018, 06:47 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Wheel weights

My local comp guys ( most are SCX10 ) liked the wheel weights and I never heard any complaints from them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:52 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Wheel weights will increase the Moment Of Inertia (think flywheel effect) of the wheels which in turn will have a detrimental effect on drive line wear. MOI is the reason that portal weights are preferred over wheel weights.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:14 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Running in high gear with wheel weights would be very taxing on your motor, too.
the_ghetto_rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:26 PM   #5

Adding weight to the wheels is considered "old school". Not as many people do it anymore, but it's still a viable option for scalers IMO. It does add stress to your driveline and axles though.

You can run into an issue of you are a throttle jockey that has a ton of power in his rig. If it's a tame power plant I wouldn't worry about it.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:10 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I run wheel weights in mine, the usual single wrap of lead weights around the outside of the beadlock rim. I generally stay in first gear mostly and do trail runs and crawls with some occasional second gear wheel speed when needed. They are still a viable option as far as I'm concerned - portal knuckles and what not are nice, but can't get the weight any lower than the wheels. It really depends on how you drive though.

As everyone has said, If you rip around the yard in second, or like running big power then the weights will definitely be detrimental.

The TRX in my experience holds up very well. Can probably get away with running some heavy wheels for a while, just be aware of the wear and tear factor.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:43 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I run Pro Line wheels with lead wrapped around the wheels and the rotor weights in front only. I run 2s and have no issues at all. Some might say its a little overkill but I like the added weight. As others have said, if you run big speed I wouldn't want all that spinning weight but for slow crawling and trail running I see no problem.
penguin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I run wheel weights in mine, the usual single wrap of lead weights around the outside of the beadlock rim. I generally stay in first gear mostly and do trail runs and crawls with some occasional second gear wheel speed when needed. They are still a viable option as far as I'm concerned - portal knuckles and what not are nice, but can't get the weight any lower than the wheels. It really depends on how you drive though.

As everyone has said, If you rip around the yard in second, or like running big power then the weights will definitely be detrimental.

The TRX in my experience holds up very well. Can probably get away with running some heavy wheels for a while, just be aware of the wear and tear factor.

Did front and back of my TRX and it makes a HELL of a difference. Better balance, improves hill climb and decline. Keeps the tire on contact when you need to be. Also doing the links in brass. In case you were thinking I did upgrade the steering servo to the savox 1270.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fupayme2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Wheel weights - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheel weights - how much do they help? o-o Newbie General 26 05-01-2014 03:27 PM
Knuckle Weights vs. Wheel Weights Harvo Tires and Wheels 34 11-16-2011 01:15 PM
wheel weights cliffdawg Tires and Wheels 6 03-26-2010 04:39 AM
Wheel Weights DrtRacr440 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 29 11-27-2009 09:42 AM
wheel weights Nish Tamiya TLT Crawlers 5 01-28-2005 11:29 PM